UPdating Garmin thru Active Captain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
I need to update my Garmin MFD's, 3 of them. A while back my installer said that there are issues doing it through Active Captain as suggested by Garmin. Said to do it locally by downloading and installing via card. Has anyone updated using AC lately? Anyone know whether or not the issues they were having have been solved?

In June, I used their Garmin Express app. You need your device serial numbers to plug into Garmin Express. (You can find those within your plotter somewhere.)

Downloaded software update and then chart update to an SD card. SD card lives in the MFD; apparently not enough onboard RAM to replace original G2 chart with the current G3 chart.

Easy.

-Chris

Thanks Chris. You downloaded to the card inside the Garmin? I updated successfully a while ago..year and half or so..using the Garmin Express. When I tried within the last 6-8 months I ended up with a "Can't find..." error message. Reboot it once or twice and it is fine. It still does the same on occasion. Reported it to installer who told me to not use AC. I've put up with it for a while and want to remedy the situation.. which lead me to this thread.

Hello,

Active Captain works great for updating your equipment and not having to mess with SD cards.

I have updated multiple times and have never had an issue. Just dont download the update over cellular unless you have unlimited data!

I updated earlier this month through Active Captain (I think - I'm kinda dumb). It took me a while to bumble through getting it started, but once the update started, it all worked fine...it took a while, but worked fine.

I concur with the comment that it takes a lot of data. I was close enough to the house that wifi worked for me. But it's a data hog, alright.

Thanks, everyone. I will give it another try. I have access to unlimited wireless onboard so it sounds like that is the way to go. I hate messing with SD cards.

Thanks Chris. You downloaded to the card inside the Garmin? I updated successfully a while ago..year and half or so..using the Garmin Express. When I tried within the last 6-8 months I ended up with a "Can't find..." error message. Reboot it once or twice and it is fine. It still does the same on occasion. Reported it to installer who told me to not use AC. I've put up with it for a while and want to remedy the situation.. which lead me to this thread.

No, sorry I wasn't clear. I downloaded to the card using Garmin Express on our laptop. Big file, slow over the marina WiFi we had available at the time... so I would have used the home computer and better Internet feed if I'd had that option available.

Then that SD card lives in the MFD afterwards.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom