Suwannee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swa

We're considering a trip way down upon the Suwannee River. Has anyone been lately? There are just a few threads posted years ago. Any current info would be greatly appreciated. That's where my heart is yearning, Home where the old boats play:)

I'm planning to visit next week. From what little information I've come across it seems like it's navigable at least as far up as Fanning Springs. Will find out and report back here.

Also interested. We’ve got a pretty shallow boat and love to poke around in rivers and canals while looking for secret food spots along the water.

Attachments

• A51FCB57-0605-4EA3-B112-E6A6818C352D.jpg
    A51FCB57-0605-4EA3-B112-E6A6818C352D.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 22
I'm also interested to hear how it goes. The charts say the channels are not maintained, and the ActiveCaptain markers are pretty outdated. It would be great to have that as an option crossing the Big Bend, but without local knowledge I've avoided it.

I canoed down the lower reaches of it a number of years back and remember looking at the limestone banks thinking there was no way I would risk my GB42 on this thing. The most recent Active Captain reviews are NOT positive.

The Suwannee is beautiful and still relatively unspoiled "old Florida." But, like the rest of the rivers around Florida's Big Bend, it's shoaly and can surprise you with limestone outcroppings, seldom charted. I know folks with small outboard-powered jonboats who have torn up props and lower units.

Along with several of the area rivers (Chassahowitzka, Withlacoochee, Waccasassa, Econfina, St. Marks, etc.), the Suwannee is kind of magical. i have cautiously explored them all in my trailerable power cat or by canoe and kayak. There used to be a houseboat rental livery at the Gateway Marina in Suwannee - the boats were a bit scuffed up, but I'd risk their bottoms and running gear before my own.

In the past I have looked at the river on Google Earth and you could see shallow water and sand banks. For some reason, Fanning Springs is sticking in my head as the farthest boat a large boat could go, like a previous poster said. Can't remember if this because of bridge height or shallow water. I do remember seeing very shallow water in Google Earth but it might have been much further upstream.

The OP might want to check Google Earth and other satellite images to get a feel for things.

Also check river heights and flow rate. Rain, or lack there of, will have an impact on the river.

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
Owing to tannins from decaying vegetation, visibility through the water in these rivers is poor except near spring outfalls, where it can run crystal clear for a limited distance.

Owing to tannins from decaying vegetation, visibility through the water in these rivers is poor except near spring outfalls, where it can run crystal clear for a limited distance.

There were places you could see obstructions in the river from the way the river was flowing. And you could see things in the water even with the tannins. Most certainly the satellite photos are not showing everything.

Can't see a quick way to post a link to the image but at 30°22'46.83" N 83°11'08.98" W there is a large rock and pretty obvious structure under the water. Not sure how far upstream that location is, I just looked for a quick example of what you can see.

Later,
Dan

Can't see a quick way to post a link to the image but at 30°22'46.83" N 83°11'08.98" W there is a large rock and pretty obvious structure under the water. Not sure how far upstream that location is, I just looked for a quick example of what you can see.

That's 60+ miles upstream of Fanning, 100 miles from the entrance.

My 2018 Waterways Guide says 15 feet depths up to Fanning with one area that requires attention to avoid a shallow ledge. The biggest challenge seems to be getting in and out of the river entrance.

See also https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102239

I've decided not to go in there. Too much potential for mishap in my current boat.

I think it would be fun and stress-free to drop a canoe in near the headwaters and paddle down.

I've decided not to go in there. Too much potential for mishap in my current boat.

I think it would be fun and stress-free to drop a canoe in near the headwaters and paddle down.

Wise. There is still probably a canoe livery there. Been decades since I did it.

Canoe on the Suwannee

I agree with canoe adventure option. I've done a couple of Suwannee trips that started from the Stephen Foster State Park (the one in Florida) and went west. You can camp at several places along the river, and the swimming from sandbars is great.

Caution - The river level changes dramatically through the year, and I've been there when it was so low that we had to get out and carry gear for short distances. Other times, the level is so high that the current is a problem, and can push you out into the trees.

It's a beautiful area.

The Stephen C. Foster State Park (https://gastateparks.reserveamerica...roundDetails.do?contractCode=GA&parkId=530194) is in Georgia in the middle of the Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge. It has primitive camp sites, trailer sites, and cabins. Okefenokee drains out to the Gulf by the Suwannee, and out to the Atlantic through the St. Mary’s.

It’s a different kind of boating than the ICW.

You can rent a boat at the visitors center and run up Big Water through the cypress swamp. The space between the trees is a little bigger than the boat width. The alligators aren’t afraid of you, so have the give the big ones a little space.

If you want t overnight in a canoe, there are shelters along the River.

The great thing about the park is the lack of cell service.

Do any of our wonderfully-friendly alligators make it up the far? They could make the swimming at the sandbars that much more fun

Last edited:
Well we got close to an 8 footer and he kind of barked at us to go away, the twelve footer just looked at us for a while, then came at us. I had the feeling he wanted to take my (adult) daughter for a swim.

Reverse gear worked on the rental boat.

Back
Top Bottom