Documentation Renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKDoug

Guru
Vessel Name
Melanie Rose
Vessel Make
1999 Willard PH
I notice the fees for Documentation renewal have gone way up, has anyone done the long term renewal yet? I saw they now want $64 a year, plus that again for every year of avoiding annual renewal... ouch!

I want avoid renewal of anything I can while traveling into foreign waters and away from my mail and printer attached to my home computer.

I notice the fees for Documentation renewal have gone way up, has anyone done the long term renewal yet? I saw they now want $64 a year, plus that again for every year of avoiding annual renewal... ouch!

I want avoid renewal of anything I can while traveling into foreign waters and away from my mail and printer attached to my home computer.

If I'm not mistaken, with the five-year renewal you're essentially paying for four and getting one free...

EDIT - Nope, I was wrong, no free year... New rates are $130 for five years, $26 for one.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/NVDC/Fee Schedule JAN 2022.pdf

Last edited:
I think you might be using one of those services maybe? I just did my renewal on Dec. 30th directly at the USCG website and it was $24/year and just received the new paperwork in the mail yesterday.

I just looked at the fee schedule. $26/yr, $130/5 years.

It looks like starting this year it’s an automatic five years and no longer annual. NVDC fee schedule.

Last edited:
Oooh, the web site was the first one that came up on a vessel documentation search, you are correct it isn't the official site:thumb:

Oooh, the web site was the first one that came up on a vessel documentation search, you are correct it isn't the official site:thumb:

Which doc company were you looking at? Most charge $75 to renew.

Only use the real CG a doc office website…$26/year to renew

Yea, I knew about the dummy "official" letters attempting to gouge for renewal, I have been dodging them for years now. I was surprised when I went looking for the multi year renewal they were the first to come up in my search, and their web page fooled me into thinking it was the USCG site.

Yea, I knew about the dummy "official" letters attempting to gouge for renewal, I have been dodging them for years now. I was surprised when I went looking for the multi year renewal they were the first to come up in my search, and their web page fooled me into thinking it was the USCG site.

Yep, unless the website is .mil you are on a scammer website.

I just looked at the fee schedule. $26/yr, $130/5 years.

It looks like starting this year it’s an automatic five years and no longer annual. NVDC fee schedule.

Not true. Just looked at their website and they offer 1-5 year renewal.

Not according to the January 1, 2022 fee schedule which differs from the previous fee schedule. But maybe it’s different elsewhere?

This is from the very top page of the Coast Guard Website. Update
12/22/21 - less than one month ago.

12/22/2021 UPDATE: Due to production delays, deployment of the eStorefront application will be postponed until mid-January, 2022. The NVDC will continue to offer all products and services, including one to five year recreational Certificates of Documentation, through traditional modes during this timeframe.

As part of the United States Coast Guard (USCG) National Vessel Documentation Center’s (NVDC) continuous process improvement effort, NVDC is pleased to announce its rollout of an expanded online ordering system, beginning January 1, 2022.

The new eStorefront, accessible through NVDC’s website ORDER PRODUCTS ONLINE (www.uscg.mil/nvdc), will provide customers with an efficient means to electronically apply for products directly with the USCG NVDC. Customers can securely apply for a multi-year (one, up to five year) Certificate of Documentation (COD) for recreational vessels, one-year CODs for vessels with commercial and/or registry endorsements, or request an Abstract of Title (A/T) and/or Certified Copy of COD (CCOD).

Not all products and services offered by NVDC will be immediately available; additional enhancements are planned to rollout in phases over the next 12 months. During the transition period, customers can still visit pay.gov directly to order one year CODs, A/Ts and CCODs.

Visit NVDC’s FAQ page for additional information.

Last edited:
I see, it was elsewhere. I went directly to the fee schedule which does not have other than five years.

I think there's a disconnect between what the system was supposed to offer by 2022, and what they can actually handle. I did quite a bit of digging, including Federal Register references and the congressional budget authorization bill for the CG. Five years was the intention or directive by 2022, but it looks to me like they're still not configured for it.

I renew in March, I'll be interested to see what I can actually do by then and what the website offers.

I guess the 5 year only is coming. No one knows exactly when, but it was supposed to be here by now. I hope the CG has a change of heart and continues the 1-5 year renewal.

OK guys, here it is, straight from the horses mouth. We do get 1-5 year renewal.
This is the response I got from NVDC.

There was a law scheduled to go into effect January 1, 2022 whereas Recreational CODs would be issued ONLY for a validity period of 5 years. However, on December 27, 2021, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2022 was passed which allows the owner or operator of a recreational vessel to choose a period of effectiveness of between 1 and 5 years for an initial or renewal COD.

The fee schedule on the NVDC website says 5 year only, but that will be corrected soon.

Last edited:
That is helpful, thank you.

You on a paid site not a govt coastguard site dont get conned by the private companys

Yep, I know, they didn't get any money from me though. I renewed for 5 years yesterday for $130, oddly there is no place on the form for the term of your renewal other than one year, you need to write it on the check or money order. Also requires an additional form if you use a credit card or bank transfer to pay. Trusting them to work it out when they see the check...

Yep, unless the website is .mil you are on a scammer website.

It is not a scammer, it a legit business, I don't use it as it cost more and why not use the real site, they have made the site so much easier to get around in.

I got another scam letter today. Didn't even open it. Right to the recycle bin.

And yes, it's a scam. The fact that no-one has been prosecuted yet doesn't make them "legitimate" in any sense. Their "business" is totally dependent on deception and fraud. It would not even be in operation if the customers read the fine print. By any definition, that's a scam, whether or not anyone is arrested for it.

AKDoug, you fell for the trap that this forum and me in particular has been harping on for years.

The got me once but I put it into contest with my credit card company and the clawed the money back from these rats. There are many more of these rats operating in areas that you have to deal with government agencies and send them money. I wouldn't be surprised if they set a bogus "PayYourIncomeTaxesHere.com" website. Many suckers are waiting for this to get conned.

Uscg.mil $26

OK guys, here it is, straight from the horses mouth. We do get 1-5 year renewal.
This is the response I got from NVDC.

There was a law scheduled to go into effect January 1, 2022 whereas Recreational CODs would be issued ONLY for a validity period of 5 years. However, on December 27, 2021, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2022 was passed which allows the owner or operator of a recreational vessel to choose a period of effectiveness of between 1 and 5 years for an initial or renewal COD.

The fee schedule on the NVDC website says 5 year only, but that will be corrected soon.
Yes this was changed I believe because of complaints from people who did not plan in keeping the boat 5 years. So they went back to 1-5 years

Government at all levels loves to hand out stickers and worthless pieces of paper for money. May be their favorite pastime, Death of a 1000 cuts.

Which scammer company wanted $64? Everyone I've seen has always wanted $75

Uscg cod

As a proud owner of the tittle "last sucker to apply for a COD"
like to share my unfortunately experience BUT with a good ending.
Applied for a renewal and ended up in the "almost official" site,filled the application for 2 years at 64 each for a total of 128.
Checking the site today came across this thread and kindled my curiosity.
Went back, did the diligent check online (should have done it in the first place) and found the official USCG fee is 26!!!!
Promptly emailed the pseudo official site, and cancelled the request with the opening of a "dispute charge on my AX.
the following is the exchange of emails.

today

Carol
is this address the USCG or is yours a service provider not part of the United States Coast Guard.
If you are not the official United States Coast Guard, I request you stop any proceedings and refund any charges applied to my American Express Card.

Carol
A dispute to this charge is entered to my American Express accountant
It is a shame this service is provided under a questionable website that confuses applicants thinking are requesting services from the official USCG.

Good afternoon Mr. ...

We are a Documentation Service Provider who processes United States Coast Guard documentation requests for our customers.

We clearly state on every form on our website " Unitedstatesvessel.us is a privately owned document preparation service that is not operated by any government agency." This information is on each page of our website and clearly visible before moving forward to the next step.

We will provide a refund and it should be posted to your account in the next 5-7 business days.

We would suggest that in the future you take the time to review website information before submitting payment as many companies do not offer refunds for accidental submissions.

Regards,

Carol
Vessel Documentation Administrator

As we are refunding your payment, I am assuming the dispute is no longer in process.

We pride ourselves in handling all requests in an honest and professional manner.

Regards,

Carol
Vessel Documentation Administrator
==================================

My observation
she is correct as to not having checked the site thoroughly,I am not that naive and yet fell for it.
Have gone thru DMV renewals sites in my state and learned to be careful and double check, but it did look OK at first glance.
Glad I check this site and saved over 100 dollars.

as a follow-up
the old saying goes
No good deed goes unpunished!!!

Not sure why I initiated the renewal before the renewal date, my expiration is on July, normally I get a notice on the mail as well as one from one of these providers.
I clearly dismiss the unofficial one and go ahead and renew by mail.
The other issue is by earlier renewal get "rewarded" having now an earlier date, that means shortening the already paid current document, not a good idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom