"Roll Call" For Gourmet Cruisers and Island Gypsies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:socool:Nice job. I did the same thing after my purchase but at 76 I just don't have the stamina any longer. Spend most of my time working on the house and raveling in the motorhome. Spend the summer on Lk Michigan in the boat. "Out Of The Blue"

Seems like you have the right toys for a nice life in retirement. ?
I’m 52, so I have the stamina, although I do feel the age when I wake in the morning.
Post a pic of your boat on the lake if you can. Cheers

Dean, Markeeta is looking good,very good externally. You achieved a fine relationship with the PO, jointly servicing the engine.
The varnish work looks good too, though sniffing it could contribute to the euphoria.:). Hope the good work continues, it is rewarding. Completing it section by section helps keep the enthusiasm up.

Thanks to you Bruce and through your sage advice, the elephant is being eaten bite by bite.

The PO was a great bloke and he was happy to see her go to someone with some enthusiasm. Unfortunately, he died suddenly a few weeks ago, on the eve of him undertaking a year-long cruise up the east coast of Australia with a mate.

Carpe Diem, as they say.

Wife and boat on Spring Lake

Seems like you have the right toys for a nice life in retirement. ?
I’m 52, so I have the stamina, although I do feel the age when I wake in the morning.
Post a pic of your boat on the lake if you can. Cheers

/Users/peterkreutzfeldt/Desktop/Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.38.38 AM.png

Re: inserting pictures, give this a try...

Click on "Post Reply"
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.29.15 pm.jpg

Then click the arrow to the right of the paperclip icon. This will bring up a pop up window
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.29.43 pm.jpg

Click choose file(s) and get them from wherever you have them stored. When you have them all added, click "upload". this will take a short time and you will then see the files in the "current attachments" window. Make sure they aren't too big in size - you can check the max file size allowance in the pop up window
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.31.29 pm.jpg

Go back into the reply window and again click the paperclip icon. You can either insert one at a time (like I have here) and add text, or insert all.
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.32.28 pm.png

Then click on "preview post" to see your handy work (you will see the pictures, not the text file) before clicking on "submit reply"

Job's done mate ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.32.53 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.32.53 pm.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 11
My best girl out on Lk MI just before it hit....

Florida has nothing on Lk Michigan when it come to weather. I been through a Hurricane, most of the locals don't pay much attention to it

In Memory of..."dwhatty" David Hawkins

While working on a dinghy he was building for his Granddaughter, David Hawkins collapsed in his workshop on July 27th of this year & died. Dave was a true lover of the sea and he and his wife Emily cruised their 32' Island Gypsy off the coast of Maine often. Emily is the "sailor" in Dave's life but also enjoyed the "stink pot" life style too!

Dave & Emily visited my wife & I here in La Jolla, CA years ago and we thoroughly enjoyed their company. I will always remember David as the "true Island Gypsy."

Attachments

• Dave, Emily & Dog.jpg
    Dave, Emily & Dog.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Dave & Emily Sailing.jpg
    Dave & Emily Sailing.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Dave Hawkins IG 32.jpg
    Dave Hawkins IG 32.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 18
Thanks, Walt. Through the years, David was always the guy, “we’d like to meet”. Guess we’ll have to wait a bit longer.

Sad news. Dave was a Mod when I was, very helpful, a fellow IG owner, a pleasure to know.

/Users/peterkreutzfeldt/Desktop/Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.38.38 AM.png

Will say good buy and safe sailing. Sold my boat regrettably, Not my happy moment, but I'm just getting to old and pain ridden to work on her any longer. Besides I don't have much faith in the marina mechanics at $140 per hour to do the job right. Last quote was $7000 to change a fuel tank supposedly with a rust hole. I fixed it since there was no hole, just a bit of surface rust. A small can of rust inhibitor and paint is all it took. $7000, really?

Will say good buy and safe sailing. Sold my boat regrettably, Not my happy moment, but I'm just getting to old and pain ridden to work on her any longer. Besides I don't have much faith in the marina mechanics at $140 per hour to do the job right. Last quote was $7000 to change a fuel tank supposedly with a rust hole. I fixed it since there was no hole, just a bit of surface rust. A small can of rust inhibitor and paint is all it took. $7000, really?
Man, that's no good. But I suppose you had some good times on her on the lake with your best girl and those are memories that people without boats don't have. Let those memories prevail over the ones where people tried to take you for a ride.

Take care mate and I hope you get out on the water with friends regularly ✌️

New owner for El Dorado

Just picked up hull#21 in Terneuzen (Netherlands) and spent 5 weeks motoring to Helsinki (Finland).
Bought from first owner with less than 500 hours on the clock :)
I have the owners manual (copy) reasonable quality. Will digitize when time permits.
Need to prepare for haul out an winterizing first…
Manual unclear on support structure frame dimensions and drawing seems incomplete.
Any suggestions welcome!
Will post some pics later…
Cheers to the group!!
Lion

Just picked up hull#21 in Terneuzen (Netherlands) and spent 5 weeks motoring to Helsinki (Finland).
Bought from first owner with less than 500 hours on the clock :)
I have the owners manual (copy) reasonable quality. Will digitize when time permits.
Need to prepare for haul out an winterizing first…
Manual unclear on support structure frame dimensions and drawing seems incomplete.
Any suggestions welcome!
Will post some pics later…
Cheers to the group!!
Lion

Welcome aboard Lion! ?⚓

Hey Lion,

Welcome aboard - 5 weeks with your new boat delivering it home must have been fantastic - I hope you really bonded:)

A few boat details would be great and pictures set many hearts a-flutter...we really are a weird mob here.

BTW, say high to Kurt Wallander if you bump into him.

once again welcome

New IG Owners

We picked up our new to us 1989 40' Island Gypsy a couple of weeks ago. The trip Down the Chesapeake Bay from Tilghman Island to Smith Point was uneventful. We hope to cruise the Chesapeake Bay and south to Florida.

Attachments

• 6338.jpg
    6338.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 27
She's getting there

A couple of external shots after I installed the new SS bimini frame and canvasses. All timbers varnished and new window coverings.
IMG_7288.jpg
IMG_7289.jpg

Now to mount the snap davits for the tender on the swim platform and get out there and enjoy things! Stay safe everyone ⚓

IG32 restoration progress

Howdy all,

Attached is a short video I did of my progress with works on the 1982 Island Gypsy 32.

Hopefully you are all well out there in TF land ?

We have IG - 56 in Sydney. Looking really good! Ours was due for a lot of maintenance just before COvid and we couldnt get to it in the lockdowns. Need to do a lot of what you have done, starting with painting - got a few chips to epoxy then sanding and painting. Couple of questions if I may:
What product did you use for the painting sa it looks quite good.
Did you have to take all the timber back to bare timber? Have done that once and not much fun.
Cheers
Simon

We have IG - 56 in Sydney. Looking really good! Ours was due for a lot of maintenance just before COvid and we couldnt get to it in the lockdowns. Need to do a lot of what you have done, starting with painting - got a few chips to epoxy then sanding and painting. Couple of questions if I may:
What product did you use for the painting sa it looks quite good.
Did you have to take all the timber back to bare timber? Have done that once and not much fun.
Cheers
Simon
Hi Simon, thank you. I too was caught up in the C19 shamozzle and the distance-from-home restrictions that were in place here in Victoria.

The paint is International Toplac - Snow White. Great stuff to work with. I used it for the interior cabin panels and door infills. Small microfibre roller and roll/tip method. The guys who did the flybridge showed me and they did a great job.

As for the timbers, I did take it back to bare timber on the flybridge doors / windscreen base / cockpit frame, but to be honest, it wasn't that hard as the previous coating had pretty much delaminated. Heat gun strip back; sand; 1 coat of Awlwood yellow primer; 4 coats Awlwood clear gloss. Except the rails. For that I did a 120grit sand and then a 180grit; 1 coat of primer; 2 coats of gloss. I reckon next time, I will take it back to bare timber for a consistent finish. As I say, not 100%, but 100% better than it was.

Take it easy up there - you guys at least have great boating waterways.

Hi Simon, thank you. I too was caught up in the C19 shamozzle and the distance-from-home restrictions that were in place here in Victoria.

The paint is International Toplac - Snow White. Great stuff to work with. I used it for the interior cabin panels and door infills. Small microfibre roller and roll/tip method. The guys who did the flybridge showed me and they did a great job.

As for the timbers, I did take it back to bare timber on the flybridge doors / windscreen base / cockpit frame, but to be honest, it wasn't that hard as the previous coating had pretty much delaminated. Heat gun strip back; sand; 1 coat of Awlwood yellow primer; 4 coats Awlwood clear gloss. Except the rails. For that I did a 120grit sand and then a 180grit; 1 coat of primer; 2 coats of gloss. I reckon next time, I will take it back to bare timber for a consistent finish. As I say, not 100%, but 100% better than it was.

Take it easy up there - you guys at least have great boating waterways.

Amy reason you went with Toplac? I keep getting told I shouldn't use a single pack. As an amateur painter I don't want the complications of mixing the parts.
Any thoughts on how long it will last before having to recoat?
Definitely getting that Rust product!
Cheers

Amy reason you went with Toplac? I keep getting told I shouldn't use a single pack. As an amateur painter I don't want the complications of mixing the parts.
Any thoughts on how long it will last before having to recoat?
Definitely getting that Rust product!
Cheers
I went with Toplac because that what the PO used and I had a can left over (which was off, so I bought more). I too am an amateur, so I didn't want the hassle of mixing, etc. I simply thinned out the Toplac in accordance with the TDS from Akzonobel and it worked well. It would have been better if I had someone else helping me, as tipping after rolling when one-up means you are busy. I was told by the shipwright that after a couple of years, you can just scuff it with a scotch-bite and put one coat on. The gloss retention so far is great, although it's only been about 10 months. As for the rust stuff - I am not affiliated in any way with the company, but I have now bought a couple of pots of it, as it just works. ;)

I just joined the "club" too!

My recently acquired 1979 IG 44;

51873256785_14f9029b6b_o.jpg

Still in Alameda, will be sailing to Stockton soon - :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom