View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Delfin
Grand Vizier

Lois, the basic difference is that with a motor yacht compared to sailboat, it is possible to arrive at your destination with dry feet. After having sailed for a long time I made the decision to rethink power boats after rounding Cape Scott at the north end of Vancouver Island in 30 knots of wind under a triple reef and staysail. The sailing was as good as it gets, but pretty physical and I realized that I probably wasn't always going to have as much fun getting my brains bashed out in a few years. Now, instead of worrying about when to reef, I worry about not much of anything since Delfin is capable of going whereever and whenever a sailboat might venture, just a lot more comfortably. With more coastal designs, you will have to be less adventuresome in when you go out, but with that taken into consideration will arrive at your destination wearing your bunny slippers rather than your Musto survival suit (sailboat.

So I suppose the main difference between a motor yacht and a trawler is that the true trawler is a closer analog to a sailboat, while in the size most folks have, a motor yacht is a less capable vessel in blue water or when the wind really starts blowing.