Stuffing box spray protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bongi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scatterlings
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42C
Just bought a GB42 with 3208N mains. I want to add plastic covers over the stuffing boxes to limit spray. Does anyone have guidance on which cut off bottles work well for this task?..or alternatives?

I purchased a foot of silicone hose. Cut it to 6”, slit it and then hose clamped it to the stuffing box.

I have seen lots of different things used for this. Large soda bottles, old fenders, hose and other things. I guess that it would depend on what would fit your particular stuffing box.

In my former boat, a 1979 GB 42 Cl, I attached a section from large PET soda bottle with a cable tie and this worked very well.

Thanks I tried the silicon hose idea and it has worked well…at the risk of forking the thread, how does one determine the ‘right’ drip frequency? Mine are dripping at one per 2 to 3 seconds at the dock, which seems to me to be a little high. Do I need to use a IR gun to get it temperature optimized, or is there a rule of thumb that puts it in the zone?

Brilliant! That will keep the bilge a little drier than it currently is..:thumb:

Or go to Duramax packing and have no drips.

I used an old fender and cut it to suit.

Back
Top Bottom