Gb 46 eu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Gratitude
Vessel Make
Chaparral 330
We are considering moving up from our cruiser to a trawler boat and from pictures and articles, the GB quality seems to top notch and second to none. The 46EU has caught our eye in particular as have the 41 and 43. Interested in GB owners experience with the 46, pros, cons, pluses, minus, if you could do it all over again guidance - thanks in advance.

We have a 2008 EU 47, and are on our 2nd year with it. Not exactly the same as what you're looking at, but they're close, and we looked at the 46 hard before pulling the trigger. For us, and the way we use it, it fits perfectly.

Pros:
- Quality is outstanding. Everything is extremely solid.
- Its a beautiful boat, and in my opinion, unlike a lot of modern designs, will age gracefully.
- Systems are fantastic. There are a few changes/updates we've made, but overall, everything has worked well and GB put in quality items.
- Its safe. The kiddo and dog are IN the boat when walking around, instead of walking on a cabin top where their foot could slip under a rail and they'd go overboard.
- Layout is great. We spend most of the time in the aft area, so its nice to be able to be in the shade, and quickly walk around the boat, get to the helm if necessary, and easily get to the galley without having to go up and down the stairs to the fly bridge.
- Easy to single hand. But ours came with a yacht controller, which is a must have in my opinion.

Cons:
- 2nd state room is very small. Really only good for kids.
- I feel a bit nervous launching the dingy from the cabin top with no rails/safety stuff. You can't get all around the dingy if you need to.
- Reaching the outboard ends of the QSC's is tough. Very tough. Especially getting over/under the port exhaust to sit and get to the aft outboard end of the port engine.
- I wish the owner who built it spec'd the pocket doors down below. Small gripe, but its there. It would just free up the hall and make it easier to move around.
- Tank access is awful for the blackwater and forward fresh water tanks.
- Access to the sump pumps is equally as awful.

If I could do it all over again, I'd still get this exact boat. Every boat has it short comings, but this has the least and for us does 95% of what we want extremely well. We also got lucky that it has been boathouse kept is whole life and looked after. The boat still looks brand new.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions.

Hello Dave, We loved our 46 EU. Graceful lines IMHO. liked the safety of moving around. Plenty of storage. The after deck is a particularly nice spot to relax. Lots of room in the engine room except outboard of the diesels. Biggest downside (as mentioned by mliemon2) is precarious access to tender on upper deck. The boat is a very capable cruiser--i took her from BC to San Francisco with only one stop for fuel in Oregon.

Thank you for sharing your experience - most appreciative. Glad you found the right boat!!! We are on our quest to find the sale!

Thanks for sharing - hope to see a few GB at a boat show or 2 this year. Working with a buyer broker as well to assist in our efforts to find our GB.

I have had the opportunity to see both the 46EU and 52EU. I agree with the previous posts on layout etc but I think what stands out the most on these boats is the workmanship on the brightwork! The second staterooms are small, but comfy. I use the second stateroom on our GB42EU as a reading room...

We had a 2009 47 EU. Great boats. The big thing I didn't like is that at anything above displacement speed you couldn't see forward very well from the lower helm. The more the bow would rise, the less you could see. So for faster runs you really needed to operate from the fly bridge. In all other ways it was top notch. Excellent systems and components, well build, and excellent fit and finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom