Head lining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GBNI

Veteran Member
How is the headlining in GB attached? Is is easy to take down and re-attach?

How is the headlining in GB attached? Is is easy to take down and re-attach?

I have only researched it. If you see fine lines running port to starboard like mine then there is a flap of material sewn which are stapled to the cross members.
It will be a boring rainy day when I start that project.

I pulled all the teak trim down and refinished it when repainting inside.

It is the same as a car, but stapled instead of bowed on a rod.

The headliner is standard automotive fabric. Any auto shop could replace it quick using the original as a template.

I cleaned ours to like new using 409 with bleach in a spray bottle. Cleaned to like new.

My 2 cents….No it is not easy to reinstall/ replace. I pulled down the headliner in the aft cabin. The thought was to replace it with new fabric. I decided to replace with plastic bead board. Looks very nice / nicer and a lot easier than trying to reinstall the fabric.

You can buy premixed. I use it all over boat for cleaning.

Don't scrub too hard. Spray let set a couple minutes. Clorox will bleach some fabrics.

When I bought my boat, the headliner had bad mold stains that would not come out regardless of bleach, soft scrub, or any other cleaner I tried. If the problem with the headliner is simply cosmetic, it can be refinished to look like new. I posted this info and pics in another thread, but can do so again if it's helpful to anyone here.

We did our headliner and it wasnt that tough at all. Bought some foam backed headliner, sewed the seams together at the stringers, took down everything and then stapled the headliner to the stringers and reapplied the trim. took about 2 days.

Any amonia and bleach products should not be mixed. Learned that the hard way as a teen working in a restaurant kitchen.

Pics of GB42 headliner

Here are some pics if interested..

Sorry- dont know how to rotate one of them but you get the idea

Attachments

• PXL_20220113_144452519.jpg
    PXL_20220113_144452519.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20220113_144430509.jpg
    PXL_20220113_144430509.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 20
I pulled all the teak trim down and refinished it when repainting inside.

It is the same as a car, but stapled instead of bowed on a rod.

The headliner is standard automotive fabric. Any auto shop could replace it quick using the original as a template.

I cleaned ours to like new using 409 with bleach in a spray bottle. Cleaned to like new.
I suspect I’ve got to access overhead of my GB 32 to remove the mast step/tabernacle (suspect there are nuts and backing plate to align when reinstalling). Anyone have thoughts on removing the teak trim with out messing it up? Thanks, PC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom