Pot Keepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrplatts

Vessel Name
Pipe Dream
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 Offshore Cruiser
We are the recent new owners of a 44' DeFever. We have had her for about a month and are enjoying her. There were a few things that popped up in the survey that we need to take care of, some just basic good sense and some mandated by the insurance company. But in general nothing too major. One of the seemingly lesser items is the need for pot keepers on the stovetop - this is one that the insurance company is mandating. The stove is a propane unit made by Furrion similar to the one in this link. https://furrion.com/collections/ranges/products/copy-of-17-rv-3-burner-gas-oven-range-with-die-cast-grates.
We have 3 burners with one centered in front and 2 in the rear. In searching for potholders I seem to be having trouble finding something that will accommodate the center burner. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in this area. Thanks in advance.

Greetings Cap'n. My RV stove had a smooth top with raised burner grates. I utilized the edges of a spring-form cake pan (the ones you make pineapple upside down cakes in) to surround my burner/hold the pot in place. This also kept my burner lit when it was breezy.

Picture
Wind-break.jpg

My 3 burner stove (electric) is laid out opposite of yours, 2 front burners, 1 rear. There's only a rail for pot fiddles on the front, so nothing to hold a pot in place on the rear burner. I haven't worried about it, as it's fairly rare that I use all 3 burners, and if I do, things are usually a tight enough fit that nothing will move anyway. If it's so rough that I can't manage with that, I probably don't want to cook anyway.

We have a diesel fired stove on which there is a perimeter rail about 3" high.
To that are two arms that clip to the rail that can hold a kettle or pot.
Those two arms also hold our small one burner stove which itself has pot holders to hold pots or kettles.

Take a good look at your stove to see what kind of rails can be fitted.

Take some photos of YOUR stove showing the top. What you posted does not show the top so is of little use to us.

Ask the stove mfgr. or dealer if rails are available. Rails may or may not be available since it is an RV stove. It is illegal for anyone to be in a trailer while travelling. A motor home though is a different kettle of fish so rails may be available.

The rails could be fabricated of SS flat strips held in the air by brackets solidly screwed to the stove top. Actually it would not take many brackets to firmly attach the rail and top together. Then sliding pot holders could be rigged to fit the rails and hold pots in position.

I have seen pot holders that are secured to the stove top with two arms each which can be swing to fit and then a nut tightened to secure the pot. Just cannot remember who made them.
Maybe try googling some MARINE stoves for ideas for rails and pot holder.
Have you asked the surveyor?

Some photos of marine stoves with just a perimeter guard rail and other with both the guard rail and individual pot holders.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...fa54a4ad2?rik=Bs%2fVXoypAZ6MsQ&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

If the insurance company is mandating it as you say, then it needs to be a commonly accepted solution or one they specifically approve or in the event that causes the damage they will reject the claim.

My insurance company did the same a few years back...I found some generic fitting ones on the net (you do have to check how the clamp on and your stoves setup).

Put them on even though they can't really hold but one pot on at a time due to their fit but the insurance company OKed them.

No suggestions on the pot holders but congrats on your new boat. How about some photos of it?

IF THE range has fiddle rails very secure pot holders can be easily installed .

A Round Key ring threaded on the fiddles at both ends of long screen door springs from a hardware store can be crossed to make very secure pot holders.

Tension them by sliding on the fiddle rails , slide them to the back of the range when not needed.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions and help. I cannot find rails and holders for this make of stove, they don't seem to be made. I did find one generic style that looks like the rail mounts through the countertop, that may be the solution. Here are a couple of pictures at anchor on Tampa Bay the Saturday before Christmas.

Attachments

• 20211218_171526.jpg
    20211218_171526.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211218_171425.jpg
    20211218_171425.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 30
Is this a case of an over zealous surveyor deciding you need pot holders and the insurance agent just goes along with it.

We have pot holders (stowed somewhere) and rail, but seriously she does not cook if they are needed.

Is this a case of an over zealous surveyor deciding you need pot holders and the insurance agent just goes along with it.

We have pot holders (stowed somewhere) and rail, but seriously she does not cook if they are needed.

Mine are too big to stow anywhere but on the top of the stove, lost in plain sight. I have never had a surveyor include any comment whatsoever on the stove or its equipment, but in the present environment of insurers looking for minutiae to complain about, I am not surprised.

I am surprised that Steve does all the cooking on Soo Valley.

Mine are too big to stow anywhere but on the top of the stove, lost in plain sight. I have never had a surveyor include any comment whatsoever on the stove or its equipment, but in the present environment of insurers looking for minutiae to complain about, I am not surprised.

I am surprised that Steve does all the cooking on Soo Valley.

NOT, we get food at the boat thru.

Is it possible that the surveyor deliberately found something amiss? Something he assumed easy to remedy???

I ask because my surveyor said something about CO alarm required and there are three on Seaweed, plus a couple of smoke detectors. I'm theorizing that if a surveyor consistently says "perfect" the insurance company might believe he wasn't thorough. Pot holders is a minor fix in the scheme of things.

Albeit you have to find the ding-dang things. Good luck.

My insurance company let me do a self survey a few years back...on their checklist was "pot holders" or whatever they called them.

No surveyor involved and a major marine insurer...not a catchall inusurer.

My insurance company let me do a self survey a few years back...on their checklist was "pot holders" or whatever they called them.

No surveyor involved and a major marine insurer...not a catchall inusurer.

So do you have a picture of her? :hide:

Thanks again for all of the insight and help. I don't think that the surveyor was trying to be nit-picky or create issues. I had the opportunity to be with him during the survey and he seemed to thoughtfully identify and discuss his concerns. This is not our first vessel or survey and as surveyors go his guy seemed to be more on top of things than most. I do believe that the insurance companies are being very, maybe overly, cautious these days. Our boat is a 1987 model and up to now had no pot keepers. I tried the "this should be grandfathered" argument and lost because a previous owner replaced the stove a couple of years ago and based on that the insurance company says that the new installation should meet the current code. This has been extended to the propane locker. They are awful proud of those things too.

I agree that if conditions are such that pot keepers are needed we will have sandwiches and not be cooking. But that doesn't seem to matter.

We are the recent new owners of a 44' DeFever. We have had her for about a month and are enjoying her. There were a few things that popped up in the survey that we need to take care of, some just basic good sense and some mandated by the insurance company. But in general nothing too major. One of the seemingly lesser items is the need for pot keepers on the stovetop - this is one that the insurance company is mandating. The stove is a propane unit made by Furrion similar to the one in this link. https://furrion.com/collections/ranges/products/copy-of-17-rv-3-burner-gas-oven-range-with-die-cast-grates.
We have 3 burners with one centered in front and 2 in the rear. In searching for potholders I seem to be having trouble finding something that will accommodate the center burner. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions in this area. Thanks in advance.

What brand of stove do you have?
Contact the stove manufacture seeking a solution.

The stove is a Furrion. I have been on their website and they do not show any pot keepers or rails. It is probably worth a call. Thanks

The stove is a Furrion. I have been on their website and they do not show any pot keepers or rails. It is probably worth a call. Thanks

might be the difference between rv and marine. could be the same unit with a different top treatment. i'd be surprised if you can get the parts to convert it. it's getting tougher every day to get parts for anything. fabbing your own rail and getting off the shelf holders is probably the answer. wouldn't be to difficult.

might be the difference between rv and marine. could be the same unit with a different top treatment. i'd be surprised if you can get the parts to convert it. it's getting tougher every day to get parts for anything. fabbing your own rail and getting off the shelf holders is probably the answer. wouldn't be to difficult.

Frankly I prefer the layout of the RV models versus marine. The marine has two burners forward and one in the back centered. I loved mine (the old RV one) specifically because both back burners were away from the front of the stove, thus less likely for me to be burned by an unexpected wake.

Just my 2 cents... really though, RV stoves seem to have a better layout. (shrugs)

Looks like very little to attach them to on this stove. You will need to add a bar or bars to attach them to then fabricate them. I suggest Online Metals for the small quantities of 316 stainless bar & rod you will need.

Just my luck, the model of my Force 10 is obsolete and installing the rails may be a difficult. But.... maybe I can cobble something together. I have a lid that folds down to cover the 3 electric coils.
Suggestion would be appreciated.

Just my luck, the model of my Force 10 is obsolete and installing the rails may be a difficult. But.... maybe I can cobble something together. I have a lid that folds down to cover the 3 electric coils.
Suggestion would be appreciated.

I have a 2 burner Force ten. It is recessed, so the recess holds the pots onto the burners adequately for the most severe rolling.

My diesel stove has rails and holders that clamp to the rails. Not at all sophisticated, just 3/16" rods bent around a pot and at the end to keep them up at rail height, with a thumbscrew clamp at the rail.

An adaptation of either method should work.

I have a 2 burner Force ten. It is recessed, so the recess holds the pots onto the burners adequately for the most severe rolling.

My diesel stove has rails and holders that clamp to the rails. Not at all sophisticated, just 3/16" rods bent around a pot and at the end to keep them up at rail height, with a thumbscrew clamp at the rail.

An adaptation of either method should work.

Yes fit in a recess but, without the pot holder arms, they can slide around on the coils. (3 burners)
If I add rails on both sides and the front and back, the arms are not low enough to secure the frying pans.
I would have to remove the top that covers the stove and defeat the safety switch that cuts power to the burners when the top is closed.
I guess I will just have to live with it. I have no intention to cook while underway. Let me think, reheat food in the microwave but 'no using the stove.' The glass coffee pot resides in the sink.

Last edited:
Most of the adjustable pot grabbers attach to a flat bar. Get an angle aluminum or stainless, attach to stove and then buy your choice of standard pot grabbers.

Most of the adjustable pot grabbers attach to a flat bar. Get an angle aluminum or stainless, attach to stove and then buy your choice of standard pot grabbers.

It gets confusing because the coils sit down a bit over 1 inch so if I put the bars around the coils maybe the pot holder will work on pots but not frying pans.

Pot holders are a fine bit of safety gear , but for folks with a choice, a range mounted parallel to an internal bulkhead is far safer than one parallel to the hull.

A pot flying off the hull parallel range has a 50/50 chance of hitting the cook.

The pot flying off the bulkhead position will go left or right , but its primary direction is NOT towards the galley occupant.

Like this?

Attachments

• 3F217606-D8B9-4692-8DEA-C549B00C27A5.jpg
    3F217606-D8B9-4692-8DEA-C549B00C27A5.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 10
The lady who publishes The Boat Galley did an article on pot keepers.

https://theboatgalley.com/pot-restraints/

She also did one on induction cooktops.
https://theboatgalley.com/induction...cooktops aren't,smooth surface of the cooktop.

She recommended against induction cooktops citing the pot restraint issue, but the lengthy replies to her post made a pretty convincing case that induction was the way to go. They address ways to keep pots from slipping on the glass cooktop surface.

Is there a regulation or standard that a surveyor would cite regarding pot keepers? Our new build will have a ceramic cooktop.

Back
Top Bottom