Outside grill recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
I’ve looking in to grills for my trawler. I’ve seen the, mounted on a post on the swim deck as well as portable on the fly bridge area (some room as a 50’)

Can’t decide between electric induction. Or propane.

What’s the most interesting brand? Where do you keep yours when not in use?

Grill fish and meats and boil water for crabs is my uses.

Last edited:
I find magna grills over priced but most of all difficult to control, they get way too hot so you are braising not barbqueing. Best option is a small portable two burner big box store grill like a weber or other brand. The stainless burners will rust long before the rest of the body so all stainless is less of a benefit. I much prefer propane but many marinas only allow electric in the slip which makes sense safety wise. Two burners permit indirect cooking and warming.

Bowball, on your boat size I suggest you have space for a full size house model all stainless steel of course. The burners will wear out regardless of marinized or not.

I’ve got a Magma. It’s a POS. I’ve heard good things about the little Weber.

Jim

The Magma propane/LPG kettle on our last boat was excellent. Current all electric cooking boat came with an electric bbq I don`t much like, but not messing with LPG is a plus.

After much research and elimination this Magma won out over what was available at the time. https://magmaproducts.com/products/newport-infrared-gas-grill
The infrared part? actually cooks evenly and I have made the best steaks on a boat BBQ, grill lines and medium rare. So far no complaints.
I know the weber ASD suggested and that was considered as friends have one. I had to try the improved Magma.

I purchased a treager pellet
grill. It uses no propane. The temperature controls very well. I cook on the dingy deck and store when not in use on the fly bridge. I am planning to smoke some herring this spring when the Yaquina run comes in.

How about this? I also had the grill top that can be seen just to the right. Pizza.jpg

I hated the old Magma I had, but I really like the current one. It never blows out, the lid is hinged so it stays put, and the heat is easy to control.

I sold the boat and now I use the Magma while camping. It is a great 2 people grill.

Here is a pic. Mine stays in the weather to. So once a year I take a wire brush to the bottom and repaint it.

We use it about 2-3 times a week.

Attachments

• IMG_2805.jpg
    IMG_2805.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 33
How about this? I also had the grill top that can be seen just to the right.View attachment 124778
If you have room, the Camp Chef setup shown here is a hot setup - several options including the pizza oven shown-off by C-Jack

I've used magna and Dickenson SeaBQ. Dickenson is better, but not good enough. If open flame is your desire, figure out the Weber. Personally, I went with a Blackstone flat-top (the Camp Chef has a similar option). Rusts out if you don't use it frequently, but incredibly versatile.

Bottom line is figure out a mount but go with something non-marine marketed. The Weber Q has always fascinated me because the Btu output isn't high yet it gets a helluva nice char on a steak. You can also get a cast otom flat top that covers half the grill surface for pancakes or asparagus.

Peter

Here is a pic. Mine stays in the weather to. So once a year I take a wire brush to the bottom and repaint it.

We use it about 2-3 times a week.

Nice set up indeed, obviously got that idea from a “Squid”, as any Zoomie would have engineered a much more complicated setup, LOL!

Nice set up indeed, obviously got that idea from a “Squid”, as any Zoomie would have engineered a much more complicated setup, LOL!
Well you witnessed the flame coming out of my Magma grill almost setting ASD on fire. Thanks for taking me to the hardware store in Wrangell to purchase a Weber, one just like yours!! Squids always trying to one up Zoomers!!

Place the Magma on the dock with a sign "free" several days later we left Wrangell. Magma was still on the dock.

Place the Magma on the dock with a sign "free" several days later we left Wrangell. Magma was still on the dock.

That's funny...I got fed up with my Magma and put it on the dock with "free" sign on it. 3 weeks later there were 4 other Magma grills beside it, all looking for a home.

That's funny...I got fed up with my Magma and put it on the dock with "free" sign on it. 3 weeks later there were 4 other Magma grills beside it, all looking for a home.

Now we know where Magmas come from.:thumb::thumb:

I’ve looking in to grills for my trawler. I’ve seen the, mounted on a post on the swim deck as well as portable on the fly bridge area (some room as a 50’)

Can’t decide between electric induction. Or propane.

What’s the most interesting brand? Where do you keep yours when not in use?

Grill fish and meats and boil water for crabs is my uses.

I had a Magma with legs and a carrying case which I would set up on my Bayliner 4788 top deck when needed. It was great and I also took it ashore many times for BBQ at the beach.

My current boat has a built in Outdoor galley including a BBQ so I have no real use for it. It is languishing in the attic at the moment.

It's the large rectangular one with a hinged lid and 4 fold out legs. Can be used with legs extended or not.

If you are interested I will pull it out and take pix. I would want around 60% of what I paid.

~A

Last edited:
Electric Kenyon

Have had the Webber Kettles, Magma Kettles, and Magma rectangles, even an old Scotch Box, but I am simply in love with my built in Kenyon, only wish I had gone with the Texas model. Friends had a counter top model, worked great, yes even inside if a nasty day. I have mine built in and it’s by far my favorite.

I bought a high-end Magma when I bought this boat in 2019; since then I discovered the Cobb grill, the Magma hasn't been used since. Agree with previous posts on the fussiness of the Magna. The Cobb is portable, I can use it on the bow for an adhoc 2-3 person meal, up on the flybridge, for a more 'planned' 6-8 person meal, uses its own 'Cobblestones' heat source, which are a charcoal type, very efficient. Charcoal briquets can also be used.
https://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/

The little WEBER. Best boat grill ever.

Grill

Take a peak at Dickinson if you go the propane route

We have had a Force 10; Magma Monterey; Dickinson Sea-b Que; and now the best one of them all, IMO, is the Weber Q2200

I have a Napoleon table top grill. All stainless except for the regulator and ignitor. Well made and works great. Wanted another for home use. They discontinued it. :banghead:

Ted

Depends where you use it. Magma was way too hot for us, but held up well on high wind. WeberQ was nice and controlled, but never got hot enough in high winds. We currently have a Coleman ‘roadtrip’ maybe…but has 3 burners and can go from way hot to way cool. It doesn’t hold up well in the elements, but for $250 every 2-3 years, I’m happy. Also can swap out griddle plates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom