Boat Monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NEBO will let you monitor your voltage from anywhere. It will also alert you when voltage drops below a certain level and whenever your boat moves, with or without your knowledge. This is in addition to the tracking and trip-logging features it provides. $100 for the hardware and $11/month (with discounts if you belong to some boating orgs) to monitor.
I went to the Nebo website https://nebo.global/?v=6cc98ba2045f
and cannot find anything about battery level monitoring. Perhaps some kind of hack?

Kevin, your battery setup off SOC, does it show current voltage? As I read your reply it sends an alert when they need a charge.

Here is what I get with a subscription (which I welcome a way to avoid). I get the preset alerts too, and I can look at graphs for up to 7 days.
View attachment 124736

I will experiment with smartthings at home as it has sensors of interest for home use.
If all you can get is an alert when battery needs to be charged, not enough for me. I like to see after a power outage how the inverter charger goes to work on the batteries. Shore power off/on should be easy enough.
Bilge pump activity, I get alert it ran for 15 seconds as the fuel sensing float switch set to marina mode. What I wait for is does it turn on again & again suggesting a problem. so I know when it comes on and when it shut off.

Your system with it's graphs exceeds the capability of the smartthings sensors on the market.

I use smartthings for overall monitoring, but also have free access to my energy systems on line through Victron VRM. This gives me a replication of my energy display with full monitoring and even control

Attachments

• F85C77D7-ACE0-493E-94EB-3E836D0826BA.jpg
    F85C77D7-ACE0-493E-94EB-3E836D0826BA.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 22
Do I need to log in? Is there more config pages?

Sorry, I was referring to the NEBO app. You might want to shoot them an email about their website; I don’t use it for tracking or monitoring.

Boat Cameras

We have a Jefferson 53 new to us recently.
I would love to have a camera that focuses on the engine room and the stern end of the boat. I hope to find a setup using Bluetooth that doesn't need a hard wire and that can be seen on our iPad.
Thanks for any suggestions ... Pat

If you need an alternative to a cell based system like Siren, Barnacle Systems sells BRNKL. I recently installed one after comparing to Siren and am quite satisfied that I made the right choice. While many features are similar, there are advantages to each system and BRNKL was a better fit for us.

Unless you have cell or satellite based internet, there will be times that wifi is not going to be effective. In our case, our marina wifi is mediocre at best and sometimes not working at all.

Another Siren fan here - the system can be as simple or complex as you’d like. We just monitor House Batts, Start Batts, High Water, Lowest Bilge pump, and cabin temp (for our dog who we leave for short periods with the air cond on). We may add modules to monitor Shore Power and entry doors next season.

Boat monitoring

Southern Boating magazine just did their Reader's Choice Awards and Garmin's On-Deck was the top choice beating out Siren by 2 places, Garmin was number 1.

Do your own due diligence and evaluate what will work best for you.

Marcell

I use Marcell. It uses cell towers to transmit info. It Monitors Temp, humidity, Power on and off and if you have water in the bilge. It is more simple but very reliable and does not need wifi. I have been very happy with them. 8.95 a month for the monitoring and the cell connect.

Monitor Dinghy

Anyone have a good cheap way to monitor dinghies? Not too worried about the boat going walkies but unfortunately dinghy theft is endemic.

You may be able to use a simple GPS tracker like Trackimo as long as you have a battery source to keep it charged. Very small device. I use on my boat which I am sharing with a few other people. Tells you when boat is on the move, where it is on a map, how fast it is moving and you can set up to 5 geo fences

I have ordered the parts for a SirenMarine Pro, and will do the install next month.

I purchased sensors for the main house battery, bilge (water level), and fridge temp. I will likely tap into the NMEA backbone at a later date to monitor more things, after I test these out first.

Regarding mounting of the main hub, I was thinking of the engine room. The boat is in SoCal, but in the Summer the ER probably gets up to about 100F or more. Any issues with this? Where are people mounting their main hub?

We mounted ours in the engine room next to the house bank above the negative battery bus bar.

I dont think it will be an issue with the new Siren Pro, but our older MTC sometimes can't talk to the battery monitor in the bow for the thruster battery. I moved it up to inside the Starboard closet and it has a solid poor connection but does stay connected.

The other item is GPS. Sometimes it struggles to keep a GPS lock but the new unit has much better antennas and can leverage an external if needed.

I did mine in the pilothouse figuring I might get better reception and as mine is all hard wired, all the connection points except where I wanted to power the unit from, would be within 10' of the unit.

Ted

Thanks. I will mount it in the ER temporarily to verify it can talk to the wireless devices on the boat, and the wireless signal out is adequate, then permanently mount it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom