View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 02:58 PM   #10
ORBoater

City: Portland
Wow, thanks for all the great advice. Let me add some specifics and see if I can get more!

I have plenty of experience owning/operating small runabouts on inland waters, but my experience with bigger stuff is limited to houseboats, and a week last summer when I bareboat chartered a 33' tug. I have been researching doing a Great Loop trip for some time, and its getting close to time to buy a boat. To complicate matters, I need to buy this boat 'long distance', as I am located on the West coast, and will need to buy the boat somewhere on the loop. So my interest in a buyer's broker is someone to be my advocate/guide in an area where I have little experience, and also someone who can get eyes on a boat to give an initial evaluation, without me having to spend thousands in travel costs to do so.

Given these particulars, any advice on how best to proceed?

(BTW, I'm sure many of you will tell me I'm in way over my head. And perhaps I am. But I think I can pull this off - although I'm new to cruising, I do have experience with engines, mechanical systems, electrical/electronic systems, navigation, etc. etc. I have been researching this for a couple years - there's tons I need to learn, but I didn't just wake up yesterday and decide I wanted to do this.
ORBoater is offline   Reply With Quote