Emergency Temporary Fix Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My only comment on this is about the price. Ouch!!!!

I have most of what they show and a lot more on my boat but I paid a lot less than $999.

My only comment on this is about the price. Ouch!!!!

I have most of what they show and a lot more on my boat but I paid a lot less than $999.

Ah but do you have the cool case? :)

It’s a slick kit but really? Hose clamps, J-B Weld, cedar plugs, duct tape, hatchet, etc. Not for my money. This is the content list for the SeaKits Expedition from their web site.

Attachments

• 0852D0EE-50B8-421C-8729-10646B6F40C1.jpg
    0852D0EE-50B8-421C-8729-10646B6F40C1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 68141AE0-9255-4EE3-A424-53434353E5B3.jpg
    68141AE0-9255-4EE3-A424-53434353E5B3.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 29
it seems like this kit is designed for someone that doesn't already have a comprehensive tool and supply inventory onboard. most on this forum seem like doers to me. we do our own repairs and upgrades. if we weren't like that, an emergency repair kit might make sense. it fits in a case that stows away somewhere out of sight. the owner will never use it but it provides peace of mind.
i already have pretty much anything in that case or something similar onboard, just not in a handy case. i could never come close to fitting all my stuff in a case like that. the whole underside of the master berth is full of that, as well as the huge locker on the opposite side. not to mention all the little stuff tucked away here and there.

Yup, better to tailor emergency items to your specific boat, plugs for hoses, etc. Most of the items in the kit are normal maintenance items, carried on our boat normally anyway. and $$$$ PRICEY!
If a boat operator/owner doesn't already have these items, he/she probably wouldn't know what to do with them in an emergency anyway!:whistling:

If a boat operator/owner doesn't already have these items, he/she probably wouldn't know what to do with them in an emergency anyway!:whistling:

Well said. Still, there are a shocking number of folks whom rather not think about it or plan for it, or don’t trust their own resourcefulness. For the stuff that’s not specific to any particular boat, it’s a good start, but my “specific” list is twice that or more.

I generally agree with the preceding comments, but would point out that when we prepped out last boat to sell, I stripped it of everything that wasn't screwed down or made specifically for it, so it really showed well. Our buyer is learning his way and I'd guess that such a kit might be appealing. The trawler we are in the process of buying has a lot of stuff on it, but I have no idea how old the tape, adhesives and sealants are and as they definitely have a limited shelf life, prudence dictates that I should simply chuck them and start assembling a new 'kit'. I'm too tight to purchase one of these and will do it myself, but someone else may have more money than time... and that flexible clamp driver sure looks nice...lol

I would suggest that spending the money on damage control classes and first aid classes is money better spent (if not already very familiar with both).

Having a kit in front of you but not the big picture of both those areas is a "fail" waiting to happen.

If you are already familiar with those topics, making up your own custom kits is way cheaper and will better suit you when the time comes.

I would suggest that spending the money on damage control classes and first aid classes is money better spent (if not already very familiar with both).

Having a kit in front of you but not the big picture of both those areas is a "fail" waiting to happen.

If you are already familiar with those topics, making up your own custom kits is way cheaper and will better suit you when the time comes.

Well said!
That’s why we did Damage control training so often onboard and underway. All the tools in the world wont help if you dont know how to use them. And often the least likely item is your best option. The best tool you have is the gray matter between the left and right ear.

The gift market.

What someone might give a new boater as a gift.

Kinda like the over-priced food and wine baskets popular at Christmas to have shipped.

Of course the price points puts these in a different level.

A gift certificate for training would still be a better deal...at least good reference books.

Greetings,
$1K for THAT?????

iu

Agree with the comments thus far except, respectfully, from Mr. cl (post #8). We are in the process of preparing to sell and I'm going to include as much as possible for the new owner: clamps, cable ties, tape, adhesives-(current, of course), hosing, filters, oil, coolants, gland packing, galley utensils, plates, cutlery, spare lines, linens, chart books (OK, somewhat dated) and a full compliment of tools both hand and electrical, starter motor, alternator, fuel pump, damper plates (2) and matching paint(s) just to name a few things.

When we bought her (18+ years ago), the previous owner had an impressive supply of spares which I thanked him for, after the fact, for many years. Hopefully a new owner will do the same for me in the future.

Agree with most posts. I do have a milk crate with most of the stuff in the kit. If you have water intrusion it too late to wish you had some of this stuff.

:thumb: Until you get into to such a situation you will not know for sure that YOU are able to use these tools to save yourself. Buy the kit, stow it and try to remember where you put it a couple years later.

May I suggest that you exercise your thru hulls so they are ready to be shut off easily. I shut mine post-trip and on again at pre-trip checks. Good practice IMO.
I have not experienced a hull penetration so do not know what would cause a round hole into which those plugs would go into other than the thru hulls without a hose attached.

:thumb: Until you get into to such a situation you will not know for sure that YOU are able to use these tools to save yourself. Buy the kit, stow it and try to remember where you put it a couple years later.

May I suggest that you exercise your thru hulls so they are ready to be shut off easily. I shut mine post-trip and on again at pre-trip checks. Good practice IMO.

I have not experienced a hull penetration so do not know what would cause a round hole into which those plugs would go into other than the thru hulls without a hose attached.
Good point to exercise all your thru-hull valves.

One thing I like about some new builds is you shut off the thru-hull, then open another valve which sucks water from the bilge. Your engine becomes a big bilge pump.

Good point to exercise all your thru-hull valves.

One thing I like about some new builds is you shut off the thru-hull, then open another valve which sucks water from the bilge. Your engine becomes a big bilge pump.
Been meaning to do that setup.
Have done it manually to evacuate about 2 feet of water so I know it works well

I was almost ready to drop $1K for the kit but then I realized that there wasn't a toilet bowl wax gasket. The most important item is missing? Maybe it is over priced.

Let's face it, how many folks experience a major system failure that needs such a case. We will develop our own "case" over time and we will put the 'parts' in the area of need.
In my own case, I do not find a need to keep 5 inch plug in an area that doesn't have a 3-5 inch hose. Of course, if you run the boat on the rocks, ripping open the hull, you have more important things to occupy your activity, contacting folks for help and, getting yourself and passengers off the boat into the raft.

Being the Boy Scout that I am, when I saw this case I thought "How cool- gotta have one". Then I realized I already had most of that stuff on the boat... somewhere. In an emergency I don't want to be thrashing through my tools looking for something so I decided to duplicate what I might need and keep it in one place. I got a 5gal plastic pickle bucket with a top from a local deli for free and was able to to put most of the stuff in it. I store it in a locker with other larger emergency items like hack saw, bolt cutters, pieces of wood, ect.

I'm an instructor at the CCA's Safety at Sea Hands on Training classes and we have one of those kits on the table to show what kinds of things you might want to have.

There's no way in the world I would buy such a kit -- I've always made my own tailored to fit the needs of my boat.

Jim

Jim

For that price, when I open it, a marine mechanic better pop out ready to fix whatever the issue is ,,,

It's the knowledge of damage control that is worth 100X the pieces and parts and tools for most small boats.

Kits are only as good as the user. Tailored to your boat so much the better.

To flog my own latest Off-use of a product, you might be amused by the latest article I posted. Temporary Thru-Hull Fix (part 2) article on janice142

Basically, a boat a couple canals over from me developed an issue with a thru-hull. I stopped the leak in an unconventional manner using a $1 silicone wine bottle stopper plus a hose clamp. It was an "interesting" afternoon.

Greetings,
Ms. j. Yep. I wasted $20 on some rolls of so-called "Rescue Tape" Total garbage IMO. I couldn't get it to stick to itself either no matter how much I pulled and stretched it.

Janice reminded me with that wine bottle cap.
Heat exchanger 4 inch had a rubber end cap with a flat metal plate in it. That separated from the part that is hose clamped on. Otherwise it was usable.
So I used a garbage bag over the end held in place with the delaminated rubber end clamp until we could find a replacement. Not sure how long that would have lasted as it came off in like new condition a few days later.

Back
Top Bottom