Back up Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Shopping for the best back up camera for boats.
Has the following features:
View from Iphone or Ipad (option on plotter?)

Good enough depth of field to see back about 30 feet.
Long lasting battery, but nice to have option to wire.

======
Options:
Would be nice to have motion sensitive alarm and/or light for security.

Looked at Arlo and Ring... but talking to their sales people from Timbuktu in a foreign language is fruitless.

=====
Also, nice to have a camera that looks back several hundred yards to see whose chasing me, but probably not work with the same camera.

We use a ReoLink Argus PT as a backup/security cam. Solar charged battery. WiFi connected to boat's network which is connected to the internet. Steerable, excellent quality image. Motion detection, onboard sd and cloud storage.
https://reolink.com/product/argus-pt/

I have a Furrion back up camera that is designed for the RV world.

It has a 7" display that connects wirelessly to the 12V powered camera unt.

For power I just tapped into my existing stern navigation light power circuit.

I did not want a dedicated display unit, but in the end I am very happy with it.

I have a Furion wireless camera on my travel trailer with a small 4.3" display. It works well and also has a microphone.
It's not just a "backup camera" it is on all the time when we tow powered via the running lights circuit.
IF you have room I would rather have a separate display.

I’ve been looking for a backup camera solution and came across this slightly cold thread. I’m intrigued by the thought of using a wireless, battery or battery/solar powered PTZ security camera like Paul mentions, and using a phone or tablet as the monitor and control.
Any new thoughts?

I have two garmin rear facing cameras that show up on plotter and three arlo cameras that are used for security and checking on the boat. I have thought about pointing them to the rear then monitoring them via iPad but in my case i haven't used them that way. Actually i have never went bow into a slip and have always backed in so it is my normal so haven't had the need to use the cameras .I do have the wife on headset so i know exactly where i am and need to go.

With the Furion cameras you can turn the sound on or off
I’m sure others also have that option. That might eliminate the need for a separate head set if you only need to listen.

I have the Blink system from Amazon. I have cameras for bow, cockpit, stern (for backing up) port, starboard and one for each engine. I also keep a couple of spares and I'll move them around for different purposes. The rechargeable batteries last 2 years. Infrared for night time, I get to see the marina's security guy at night. I'm very happy with the system.

A few years ago, I installed a Raymarine/FLIR CAM220 IP Camera as a backup camera. It's connected to my e127 MFD. I like it a lot. My only complaint is that I have to remember to turn it on 5-10 minutes before I plan to use it in order for the image to appear on my MFD. I suspect I will eventually find a way to improve this with some configuration tweak.

https://www.raymarine.com/marine-cameras/cam220.html

I suppose, with the newer WiFi options, this camera is well on its way to becoming obsolete...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom