Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those still looking at electronics, I have heard from two different vendors that prices will go up in 2022. In addition, the Autopilot equipment I ordered two days ago is on back order until late February due to chip shortages. So, I would suggest some lead time on your orders to ensure availability at launch.

Any update on your delivery date? Is your engine installed yet? At least now we can say our boat will be arriving this year. Happy New Year.

Any update on your delivery date? Is your engine installed yet? At least now we can say our boat will be arriving this year. Happy New Year.

I received pictures yesterday that showed continued work inside the hull. The engine is not installed yet. A good friend of mine ordered a 43 right after I ordered mine. With the demand lower for a 43, his boat was just pulled from the mold in the last couple of days. I think they are moving along though I havent checked with Scott lately.

Updates from #51

Thanks to Rick, Doug, and Mr. Helmsman regarding electronics.

Our hull is now in the mold and were getting pics!

We have not made much progress on electronics since we are in backcountry in Nevada/Utah without real internet and now heading to Mexico, but I'm tempted to fly back to the boat show in feb to make final decisions. Not sure what else I would learn other than touch and feel.

Mr. Helmsman -
Vesper Cortex - The concern with Vesper Cortex after reading several resources is the ability to hear other vessels, squelch, ability to scan etc. I get you can download Vesper updates over time, and I like everything that is has to offer, but should we consider a true and proven VHF as backup?
Would it be overkill to add a standard VHF to the package?

Screen size - I dont think I ever saw what size screens will fit, but I dont want to go small. Seems like a big $$ to only get one 1" bigger screen and I though we can get a Garmin 17" and still fit everything. Does anyone know the size limitations at both stations? (assuming standard other stuff (merc engine display etc). Or is this a "it depends on what else" question. I am going with Scott's guy for electronics, maybe I should ask him to lay out the view on paper.

Comments on both are appreciated.

- thanks, Tom

Alternators

I've heard some trawler folks anted up on alternators. Higher output units. I spoke to Gary a while back and he mentioned to speak with cummings after the boat arrives. There is some science behind it with dual alternators, or larger ones and may require a different regulator and/or built in regulator.

The advantage some have said is more charging amps at both lower and higher RPMs and faster charges. We opted out of a gen set, so I think its something to consider.

The alternator on the 6.7L Cummins engine is a stock application 160 AMP but I have no information on charging curves etc.
Tim at Custom Marine Products suggested Balmar Alternator (w/regulator) - he supports Scott on the solar applications.

Has anyone looked into this or any veterans out there that have switched up?

- thanks, Tom

Updates from #51

Thanks to Rick, Doug, and Mr. Helmsman regarding electronics.

We have not made much progress on electronics since we are in backcountry in Nevada/Utah without real internet and now heading to Mexico, but I'm tempted to fly back to the boat show in feb to make final decisions. Not sure what else I would learn other than touch and feel.

Mr. Helmsman -
Vesper Cortex - The concern with Vesper Cortex after reading several resources is the ability to hear other vessels, squelch, ability to scan etc. I get you can download Vesper updates over time, and I like everything that is has to offer, but should we consider a true and proven VHF as backup?
Would it be overkill to add a standard VHF to the package?

Screen size - I dont think I ever saw what size screens will fit, but I dont want to go small. Seems like a big $$ to only get one 1" bigger screen and I though we can get a Garmin 17" and still fit everything. Does anyone know the size limitations at both stations? (assuming standard other stuff (merc engine display etc). Or is this a "it depends on what else" question. I am going with Scott's guy for electronics, maybe I should ask him to lay out the view on paper.

Comments on both are appreciated.

- thanks, Tom

On the Vesper, they are actively working on the squelch issue, and scanning. They just added the ability for a hailer. Certainly one option is to get a regular marine VHF. I thought about that also. My plan for the Vesper is to put the tethered handset at the PH helm in a position that I can view the display. I ordered the wireless handset and two power cradles for it. One cradle will go in the MBR, to ensure that I can hear the anchor alarm, (and bilge alarms) but more importantly, so that anyone asleep in the salon doesn’t hear it. The other cradle will go on the flybridge helm, and will be used there. The cradle will be in a position that allows me to see the screen up top while underway, and of course, will keep the wireless fully charged. If I hadn’t decided to get the wireless, I would have gone with an Icom up top.

Doug Miller told me that he was not having an issue with the squelch. I didn’t ask him about the scanning.

If you go with another radio, you will be able to stay with one antenna by using the antenna out connection on the Vesper.

On the screen size for the helms. A 16” screen will work on both, I think, if the bezel isn’t too large. I plan to put a 16” Furuno TZ3 on the PH helm if it will fit with the AP screen and the Cortex handset. I will put a 12” up top. I will decide which goes where when I arrive at the boat. I have pictures of both helms with a measuring tape that I will post a little later this morning. I want to put the mercruiser (Cummins) screen on the flat area between the helm and the wheel. (I plan to put the engine info on the MFD via a NMEA2000 link. I also plan to have a tablet or laptop available for viewing information. If you do ask your installer the question, I would like to hear what he says about MFD placement.

Last edited:
I've heard some trawler folks anted up on alternators. Higher output units. I spoke to Gary a while back and he mentioned to speak with cummings after the boat arrives. There is some science behind it with dual alternators, or larger ones and may require a different regulator and/or built in regulator.

The advantage some have said is more charging amps at both lower and higher RPMs and faster charges. We opted out of a gen set, so I think its something to consider.

The alternator on the 6.7L Cummins engine is a stock application 160 AMP but I have no information on charging curves etc.
Tim at Custom Marine Products suggested Balmar Alternator (w/regulator) - he supports Scott on the solar applications.

Has anyone looked into this or any veterans out there that have switched up?

- thanks, Tom

I had asked Scott previously about an external regulator/different alternator. He noted one case in which a previous owner had installed one, and the new owner pulled it due to problems. I ordered four batteries for the house. With 860 amps, and with 50% “useable” I could see a situation where the alternator runs full out during the bulk charge period. That is not the best scenario for an alternator. If I remember correctly, I think Scott said that it has not been an issue that he has been made aware of. (I haven’t studied the specs on the alternator yet, though I plan to).

Having solar panels would help that, and in our east coast boats, the generator will also. I would discuss with Cummins after receipt of the boat, to determine whether that will be a concern, and if so, what options might be available. No one wants to affect their warranty. Certainly it is doable, but the install has to be one in which the entire system is considered, including cable sizes, fuses, temperature sensors, drive belt, etc.

Just some thoughts.

By the way, Doug Miller at Milltech has sold the company to a person who previously worked at Vesper. Doug will still be involved for awhile. He is keeping his internet connectivity company. For those of you who don't know him, he is a very knowledgeable and helpful resource. I purchased the Vesper and the Pepwave connectivity equipment from his company after spending some time with him on a call.

If I put these images in properly, you will be able to see the measurements of the helms.

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2898.jpg
    IMG_2898.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2902.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 17
Helmsman, that is helpful

It would appear that is the Simrad NSS Evo3S installed, and its the largest one. The 16 inch. It just fits. The installation template says it needs 17.2 inches in width to accommodate that sun cover, and that appears to be just what that cover in the pic measures.

Updates from #51

We’re excited for you. That’s a big milestone. You’ll be even more excited when you see it out of the mold. We can’t wait to see the deck joined to the hull. It gets more real with every report.

We’re excited for you. That’s a big milestone. You’ll be even more excited when you see it out of the mold. We can’t wait to see the deck joined to the hull. It gets more real with every report.

My thoughts exactly, Doug. A friend of mine is having a 43 built, and he shared the same excitement when he started getting pictures of the boat that we all have. It makes it real for sure. It is fun to watch the boat come together. And the pictures will be great to have when adding post sale functionality or addressing an issue. Always helpful to know what is “behind that wall”.

Quite certain those pics were taken on my boat!

Might have been. I had asked the Helmsman guys for dimensions. If it is, you have a nice setup.

Enjoying your boat? Any advice for us? Do you like the way the boat handles?

Might have been. I had asked the Helmsman guys for dimensions. If it is, you have a nice setup.

Enjoying your boat? Any advice for us? Do you like the way the boat handles?

I love boat. Bought it last March (it was less than 3 years old) and managed to spend a couple of months on it over the spring and summer. (We were planning a winter cruise this past week, but the freezing weather defeated us.) As for electronics, I am a lifelong sailor--this is the first powerboat I have owned (although I have chartered in the past). When in close quarters and docking, I like to be able to quickly see wind speed and direction. I chartered a H38E before deciding to purchase one, and it had the Mercruiser display screen on the flat area in front of the wheel, and a small Simrad display set to anemometer under the autopilot control. (See pic.) I liked that setup, and may get around to adding it to my boat at some point. Of course, you can open a window for the anemometer on the 16” chartplotter, but it is not quite the same as having wind always available in a dedicated display. It is a heavy boat for its size, but the wind can still push it around.

Attachments

• H28E electronics setup.jpg
    H28E electronics setup.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 32
I love boat. Bought it last March (it was less than 3 years old) and managed to spend a couple of months on it over the spring and summer. (We were planning a winter cruise this past week, but the freezing weather defeated us.) As for electronics, I am a lifelong sailor--this is the first powerboat I have owned (although I have chartered in the past). When in close quarters and docking, I like to be able to quickly see wind speed and direction. I chartered a H38E before deciding to purchase one, and it had the Mercruiser display screen on the flat area in front of the wheel, and a small Simrad display set to anemometer under the autopilot control. (See pic.) I liked that setup, and may get around to adding it to my boat at some point. Of course, you can open a window for the anemometer on the 16” chartplotter, but it is not quite the same as having wind always available in a dedicated display. It is a heavy boat for its size, but the wind can still push it around.

That helm is set up the way I put the helm together on my last boat, that smaller Sinrad display is handy. I had all Raymarine, but the same concept. The last boat was.a 38 foot Carver (21,000 lbs) . A breeze would push it sideways. I am looking forward to the stability of the 38E. Will have to get used to one engine instead of two. The thrusters should help some.

Interesting news. A company whose model is to be a complete solution for a customer with many modules buys a company whose model is to integrate several modules into one. It will be interesting to see how the two cultures work together. With Garmin’s financial muscle and vespers technology, it could be an acceleration of integration.

All good points. I think I will stay optimistic that it will be an improvement in function, integration and support (one can always hope ;) ).

This is just one more reason for me to lean towards Garmin.

On another topic, was the NMEA 2000 training that you attended something that would be beneficial for a user who will not be designing or installing a system?

All good points. I think I will stay optimistic that it will be an improvement in function, integration and support (one can always hope ;) ).

This is just one more reason for me to lean towards Garmin.

On another topic, was the NMEA 2000 training that you attended something that would be beneficial for a user who will not be designing or installing a system?

Depends on what you would like to learn.

The training was a set of technical workshops focusing on the rule sets for proper installation of electronics, the networks they are built on, and for problem resolution related to the network, PGN messages (to and from various components) conflicts, and antenna management. Since I took the courses at the annual NMEA conference, there were also various in depth workshops from various vendors, including the big four. I wasn’t able to attend those due to the workshops, but did visit with vendors after the workshops each day.

Unless you are into a pretty detailed analysis of electronics networks, I wouldn’t put the money out. (I spent about $2k for four days and a membership in the NMEA). I am interested, have had some previous experience with installations, and really enjoy learning about it.

Attending seminars at a boat show may acquaint you more with the capabilities of the different systems which vendors have out there.

With the latest updated photos, the deck is now on the hull, and work continues on the interior. For the first time, I can see the contrast of the Kingston gray hull and the white deck. It looks better than I imagined!

With the latest updated photos, the deck is now on the hull, and work continues on the interior. For the first time, I can see the contrast of the Kingston gray hull and the white deck. It looks better than I imagined!

That’s really exciting. Today we got more exterior shots of the hull and deck, still separated. We haven’t seen a good view of the interior since the hull came out of the mold. I went so far as to photoshop them together. I would guess you’re getting close to having an engine. Our big move for the week was verifying with Scott that there will be enough vertical clearance at the centerline salon cabinet for an automatic espresso machine. All the comforts of home.

Congratulations!

Thanks guys. Scott suggested the Kingston gray. I hadn’t really thought too much about it thinking I would prefer all white. Seeing the boat with the contrast tells me it works for us. Still like the all white with the “clean” look it gives, but the Kingston gray on the hull certainly gives it a punch.

Thanks guys. Scott suggested the Kingston gray. I hadn’t really thought too much about it thinking I would prefer all white. Seeing the boat with the contrast tells me it works for us. Still like the all white with the “clean” look it gives, but the Kingston gray on the hull certainly gives it a punch.

Very Exciting !
Any chance of sharing the pictures as these boats progress through the factory?

Very Exciting !
Any chance of sharing the pictures as these boats progress through the factory?

Thank you, Tolly. And thanks for the question. Helmsman has requested we not share the build pictures without first clearing with them. As the build progresses, we will share a few.

Last edited:
Here is one of the pictures I received of the hull and deck.

Attachments

• 011022 First picture of Hull and Deck together.jpg
    011022 First picture of Hull and Deck together.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 128

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom