SUPERFASTRACING Diesel Fuel Filter Water Separator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a shame that of all the athletes that have made fortunes in the USA, none endorse the only American made athletic shoe.

They also make fortunes in China which is why none of them will say anything bad about the Chinese govt. All about the money. I guess people like Lebron don't have enough yet. But again, as long as most consumers prefer to buy Nike over New Balance, who is really to blame?

post 33 is worth repeating with post 34

Sorry for the unintentional duplicate post. We should probably get away from politics and back to boating. I wasn't the one who brought that into the thread, but it's hard not to comment when others suggest "buy American" loyalty.

Greetings,
No one forced American companies to move their manufacturing facilities off shore....or did they?

Sorry for the unintentional duplicate post. We should probably get away from politics and back to boating. I wasn't the one who brought that into the thread, but it's hard not to comment when others suggest "buy American" loyalty.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: what duplicate post? The mods are at work
But the point was well made. MONEY rules.

My annual fuel bill will be just under $10,000 this year, purchased from a variety of marinas all around The Loop whom I have never purchased fuel from before. I cannot check the local reputation of all of them before pulling in to take on fuel.

Why would I want to save $250 on a knock-off, unknown primary filter and element system for the lifeblood of my vessel through which all that fuel will pass?

Last edited:
Yup, that's part of why I buy the New Balance shoes that are made in the USA.

View attachment 124234

Ted

Not exactly true.....

From the New Balance website, you can do your own interpretation of what this really means:

We are proud to be the only major company to make or assemble more than 4 million pairs of athletic footwear per year in the USA, which represents a limited portion of our US sales. Where the domestic value is at least 70%, we label our shoes Made in the USA.

And also:

In the 2020 annual report, New Balance says, “We outsource the production of our products to independent manufacturers, which are primarily located in Asia.”

As usual, buyer beware and don't believe all the marketing hype.

Not exactly true.....

From the New Balance website, you can do your own interpretation of what this really means:

We are proud to be the only major company to make or assemble more than 4 million pairs of athletic footwear per year in the USA, which represents a limited portion of our US sales. Where the domestic value is at least 70%, we label our shoes Made in the USA.

And also:

In the 2020 annual report, New Balance says, “We outsource the production of our products to independent manufacturers, which are primarily located in Asia.”

As usual, buyer beware and don't believe all the marketing hype.

Think you are misinterpreting their statement. The vast majority of all their shoe models are made overseas. The particular shoe I wear, is assembled in the USA (as is required by law to have the "Made in the USA" label). While I don't know how much of the "domestic value is at least 70%", includes materials, I'm making an effort to employ American workers.

My wife chooses to buy Toyota cars that are assembled in Kentucky. While the parts aren't all produced in the USA, the assembly plant and its workers are in America.

Ted

Last edited:
To be clear, I wasn't denigrating Asian or Chinese manufacturing in any way, many yachts, some very high quality, high end, are made in mainland China. I've traveled extensively in China, having worked at many yards and equipment manufacturers there, quality runs that gamut from stellar to abominable, much like almost every other country that has a boat building industry.

Heck, so much of what we buy is made there, it's impossible to avoid it. What I was questioning about this product was its clear copy-cat nature, it is a textbook example of a knock-off, one that even uses Racor filter elements. Racor's product changes and improves slightly every few years to maintain the patent. They have invested hundreds of millions into design and manufacturing. The knock-off manufacturer hasn't done any of that, so I have to wonder about the materials, tolerances and manufacturing quality. Is this where one wants to economize?

Think you are misinterpreting their statement. The vast majority of all their shoe models are made overseas. The particular shoe I wear, is assembled in the USA (as is required by law to have the "Made in the USA" label). While I don't know how much of the "domestic value is at least 70%", includes materials, I'm making an effort to employ American workers.

My wife chooses to buy Toyota cars that are assembled in Kentucky. While the parts aren't all produced in the USA, the assembly plant and its workers are in America.

Ted

I applaud your efforts, I just think it is a bit deceitful of New Balance to market themselves as a U.S. manufacturer when clearly the bulk of their manufacturing is done overseas. I don't know what the "70% value" means but that is pretty vague and could mean almost anything. If a shoe costs $10 to make, it must mean that $7 is in "American" value. That could include wharehousing and transportation, other labor overhead, packaging, etc etc, but I don't know for sure that buying their product actually helps Americans any more than buying another brand. It's great that people wnat to support American workers, I'm just saying it's not an easy thing to do even if you wanted. The REAL reason so much is made overseas is because consumers demand lower prices and don't want to pay a premium for Made in USA.

While it wasn't the only reason, I'm proud to say I own a boat and a dinghy that were built in the USA.

Ted

Fuel filtration

As most products made in China, they are not of the quality as to their competitor in my opinion. I try and stay away from all Chinese made products, which is nearly impossible. However, I will buy a Chinese product knowing it will not perform long term, if I need it only once or I am cannibalizing it to make a tool of some sort. I would never use this item, unable for me to trust it for my safety. Seen too much of poor quality to trust.

So an update on my SFR 1000 filter. I have used it as a polishing setup and it works fine for that. No leaks no issues yet. I don't think I will use it as a filter on my boat but so far I don't see any issues. The workmanship is not as good as Racor but for my polishing operation it works well.

Does it matter to you if the product is produced with slave labor [?]

Yes, I am not interested in supporting human trafficking or forms of indentured servitude.

{Does it matter to you if the product is produced with}...inferior quality materials..?

Yes, I would prefer quality engineering, materials and labor

... is it all about the price?

No, I would prefer quality engineering, materials and labor

Would you buy Chinese knockoff prescription drugs sold on Amazon?

NO

Interesting, I asked a question and purposely took no position. I find it interesting that my intention was interpretted based on people's personal bias'.

So an update on my SFR 1000 filter. I have used it as a polishing setup and it works fine for that. No leaks no issues yet. I don't think I will use it as a filter on my boat but so far I don't see any issues. The workmanship is not as good as Racor but for my polishing operation it works well.

No leaks externally, but does it leak internally? Really no way to be sure.

No leaks externally, but does it leak internally? Really no way to be sure.

The filter mounts the same as Racor so it does not look possible but i did not want to buy it for on boat use. I had old fuel in my boat that needed to be filtered and it is doing well for that. its got about 220 gallons of fuel in it and it's half way there now. My main goal was to filter out any possible sludge in the tanks so my Racor 500 does not need to do it.
I could have drained all the fuel and burned it up in a oil burner but with the cost of fuel (about $3/gal back in November) it seemed like a wise investment.

This is one of those times where it would be worth buying one just to tear into it and assess the build quality (especially relative to the name brand). Sometimes the cheap knockoff is junk, other times it's actually decent.

I did it when in Thailand and purchasing Griffin 500fg clones.
Had a genuine Racor side by side on a bench, pulled them apart and all parts interchanged.
Ended up buying 4 for another build I was doing at the time

Back
Top Bottom