Bute and Toba Inlet - VHF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
My understanding is there are VHF repeaters installed along the inside passage, but are there any that service Bute and Toba Inlet. Since VHF is line of site, I presume there would be limited usage in these two inlets if there are no repeaters.

Anyone use there VHF in either of these inlets?

Have not been up to the inlets far. Service gets sparse up there

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I doubt there are repeaters in either inlet. Jervis is the same. Very limited to no service other than with other vessels.

If service in required then generally satellite is needed.

There is still a place for short wave radio and satellite phone

I was up as far as Kitimat in 2019. No indication that there are VHF repeaters anywhere between Victoria and Kitimat, so my guess is there were none in BC. Certainly not in Bute or Toba.
There were new nav aids going in to help with the CNG ships that are expected to come out of Kitimat when their pipeline is operational, maybe that is what rsn is hearing about. If that trade leads to VHF repeaters, they still won't be in Bute or Toba.

I was up as far as Kitimat in 2019. No indication that there are VHF repeaters anywhere between Victoria and Kitimat, so my guess is there were none in BC. Certainly not in Bute or Toba.

There were new nav aids going in to help with the CNG ships that are expected to come out of Kitimat when their pipeline is operational, maybe that is what rsn is hearing about. If that trade leads to VHF repeaters, they still won't be in Bute or Toba.
Have had VHF reception via VTS all along the traffic lanes. Between Victoria and Prince Rupert.

Now they need to fix the system in SEAK.

The question was about VHF service in Toba and Bute inlets.
I think that good as the WCMRC set up is the situation inside the inlets won't change. At least not soon.
There is almost no commercial traffic in these inlets so little incentive for changes.

I've been in some pretty remote areas on the BC Coast and have had no trouble contacting either VTS or Canada Coast Guard. Be aware that LED lights can affect the ability for others to hear you. Ask me how I know!

Jim

rsn48; said:
Anyone use there VHF in either of these inlets?
Yes.
C lectric; said:
Very limited to no service other than with other vessels. If service in required then generally satellite is needed.
Yes.
Reception with the outside world ends at Orford, in Bute and Brem in Toba.

There are residents in both, with satellite and VHF. Lots of traffic, all the way up during the summer months, so anyone who is familiar with a relay, is not out of touch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom