More recommendations please (Seapiper, Beneteau, Great Habour etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reinisch

Hello!

After a lot of research I think I have reduced my shortlist considerably.

What I am looking for is a new or fairly new fuel efficent trawler for part time liveaboard (3 months per year, 1-2 pax) in a tropical climate (Thailand and Malaysia). I want a newer, plug and play type, of vessel as my mechanical knowledge is limited. I simply want a boat that can be serviced and pulled up say twice a year. My budget is max USD 300k.

Seapiper 35
I love the range of this vessel and its simplicity. However I understand that the company is relocating from China to US, not sure what this means in terms of price etc. Needs Seakeeper.

Great Harbour TT35
Again great range and twin outboards which is reassuring.

Beneteau Swift Trawler 34
Great interior space however single engine. Not so fuel efficent.

Range Tug 31
Good value and comforable interior.

I would love some comments and of course recommendations of other brands.

Thank you!

we really do like our Ranger Tug 29S. Great company, great community........

“…however single engine.”

So?

What is having twins giving you that you want?

When I was working, using twin outboards (occasionally triples) or dual inboards for emergency response made a lot of sense. We operated them quite often at the top end of recommended RPM (and my more reckless employees probably exceeded that often) and we’d occasionally burn one down. We were entering shallow waters, beaching at night etc. and would strike a prop every once in a while, sure.

In my personal boats I have operated for thousands of hours and never.ever.once. had a complete propulsion failure needing a get home engine. Unless you count my jet ski days as a teen, and twins weren’t available lol.

I do enjoy the slow speed maneuverability of twins but it’s not a must have. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
I would first look at which boat gives you the layout and accommodations you want. Don't pay any attention to fuel economy. They will all be within 15% at 7 kts although the TT35 may be worse due to its gasoline outboards.

Then unless you plan to sit at a marina with shore power connected, look at how you will power a 16,000 btu A/C which you will probably be running 24/7 in that climate. It will take a 3.5-5.0 KW generator. The Seapiper will again be at a disadvantage as there are few if any gas powered below decks generators and you don't want to carry two sources of fuel nor do you want an air cooled portable generator running all night. If one of the boats doesn't have a generator already installed, look at where you can install one. That may not be easy with these boats.

The Beneteau would be my first choice because I know it meets all of the above.

David

Have you been aboard a swift trawler? I thought they would be a great boat but didn't like the non-salty Ikea-like interior. Just my personal preference. Also, I would guess they are efficient at 6 knots, but most buy them to go fast, hence the name and fuel consumption.

Back
Top Bottom