Joining you from New Zealand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bel

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Jac
Vessel Make
Davies 54
Kia Ora!
We've just taken the plunge and bought our first trawler.

Husband Steve and I are fed up with being trapped on this wee island in the middle of no-where and decided to have another adventure so we have just taken over our 54 foot marine trader Sea Jac.
We're starting locally, exploring some of New Zealand's northern beaches, and will bring her home to the capital city Wellington in the New Year. From there we'll build up to a circumnavigation, and hopefully off around the South Pacific.
Any other New Zealanders on here? We'd love to meet new people and especially visitors to NZ once the borders re-open (goodness knows when).

Welcome aboard, I am sure you enjoy your new boat as it is a good size. When you say "circumnavigation" and later "south Pacific" I am guessing you mean circum-NZ? In any event, building up to it sounds prudent.

You will find a few kiwis here, although not that many yet. Spread the word!

Trapped you say? I am on the Gold Coast at a resort and was chatting to a Christchurch couple who have been trapped here since end of June. They spent 10 weeks in a resort near Coolangatta, and have been a bit further north here at Labrador for 8 weeks. But they are chirpy enough - don't like South Island winters anyway. Apparently they can get a flight in 2 weeks, then 2 weeks mandatory quarantine in Auckland before going home. At which point they are staying put for a while! They should have bought a boat.........

Last edited:
Reactions: Bel
"I am guessing you mean circum-NZ" Yes that's the plan but we are taking our time.
Loving all the helpful info on here. So many wise heads :)

We are sooo pleased to have you, and your avatar shows a sagacious pair with experiences to share with us. We always enjoy photos of the new folks' boats. I have my google earth app already to zoom into the places you may take us!

Yes, indeed, good to welcome some fellow Kiwis to TF. :flowers:

I'm an Aussie now, but born and bred, and spent first 42 years of my life in NZ. I moved to Brisbane in 1989, bringing the Gazelle 26 maxi trailer yacht I bought off the manufacturer, (his demo boat), right there in Wellington, over with us. Used her as an extra container as well. Main reason I chose the Gazelle was they breed 'em tough there - fly spinnakers across Cook Straight, eg, so I knew it would be real seaworthy.

Finally sold her and went to trawlers here because Moreton Bay, with all its islands, shoals and channels - not to mention the blazing sun, and heat - was not as kind to exposed sailing types and boats with keels, so joined the dark side of powered boating - loved it..! Still miss the sailing though.

Plenty of nice places to cruise over there. A circumnavigation of NZ will take some time, for sure. Although not large as a country goes, has a very long coastline, so good luck with that. Three places to make a must go to - Hauraki Gulf, Bay of Islands...but even more-so, Stewart Island. That place is a paradise..! You could spend months just doing Paterson Inlet. And the fishing...☝️ :thumb:

Enjoy - and yeah, we expect photos... :D

Last edited:
Welcome aboard from Russell Bay Of Islands

Hi, First Mate and I have Grandchildren in Wellington. We have a small flat there, a car and a Hartley 32 yacht in steel we keep in Evans Bay Marina. We visit, covid permitting, every UK winter, so are there for the Kiwi Summer.
Be nice to get a beer sometime, even better to get a look at your boat. Sounds a serious bit of kit.
If Jacinda says we can come we will be there Nov/Dec 22.
Looking forward to being there already.
Skype is OK, but not the same as hanging out with the Grandchildren.

Hello Steve and Bel,

Welcome! I consider myself an honorary Kiwi as I lived there as an exchange student many moons ago and have been back many times. It was the first time I saw the ocean. I still stay in touch with my host family. I love your country and it's people!

?bb

Last edited:
Thanks! it is a very wet country at the moment but hopefully summer will arrive sometime soon!

Hello,
Who knows about the borders but it looks like we might be cautiously opening from April 22 so maybe you can get here for spring! Would be lovely to meet you. Do you have someone looking after your boat in Evans Bay?

Welcome aboard the TF, and congratulations on Sea Jac, your very handsome Marine Trader. Look forward to learning more of that story.

Many of us here in the U.S. admire all things Kiwi, including your seemingly smart and sensible PM. So pleased that you are part of this interesting global online community.

Bel and Steve - welcome, that boat is sweet as!

We're in the USA (Pacific Northwest) and our daughter (the middle one) lives in Wellington. She graduated from school in Welly and just stayed through the pandemic. We haven't seen her in person for two years now and have often discussed throwing the lines and heading west is only Aunt Cindy would let us in

We've visited often and admire the beauty, kindness and ruggedness of the country and it's people. We plan to visit again in May (god willing) by plane. If you're still in the area we'd love to say hello.

We sold it all and bought our trawler two years ago. Haven't looked back. It's an amazing life.

˙pɹɐoqɐ ǝɯoɔlǝM
'sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ

Dear old RTF can't shake the idea we downunder are all hanging upside down like colonies of bats. Come to think of it, maybe that's why flying foxes all roost in great numbers upside down..? :D

iu

Welcome! While I have you: Marlborough Sounds or Bay of Islands and points north? I’ve been to Queen Charlotte, never checked out the north end of the north island other than downtown Auckland. Queen Charlotte was wonderful though we were kayaking not cruising. Thinking about another trip to NZ and chartering something this time instead of trekking like we did in our thirties. Very early in my research though.

Hello,
Who knows about the borders but it looks like we might be cautiously opening from April 22 so maybe you can get here for spring! Would be lovely to meet you. Do you have someone looking after your boat in Evans Bay?

Yes, we are members at the Evans Bay club and some fellow members who live aboard a couple of slips away keep an eye on her and give her a run from time to time.

I have just arranged for it to be lifted, scrubbed and the anodes checked or changed.

Not sure what the situation will be in 2022 with this Omicron varient. First Mate and I are double jabbed and boosted, cant get better protection than that!

Not looking forward to 36 hours traveling, a lot inside an aluminium tube, but that is the price we must pay.

I'll be sure to let you know when we will be there. :thumb:

Welcome aboard!

You will find this site loaded with great folks!

Welcome aboard the TF, and congratulations on Sea Jac, your very handsome Marine Trader. Look forward to learning more of that story.

Many of us here in the U.S. admire all things Kiwi, including your seemingly smart and sensible PM. So pleased that you are part of this interesting global online community.

Satire I hope?

Uh oh thread drift. Uncontrolled jibe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom