Mariner Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a yachtbroker. My day job is as an attorney with a heavy part of that in criminal defense. I am involved in some of the behind the scenes business aspects of the Helmsman business and thought folks would like to know about the changes. Now if you want to hear some real life modern day pirate stories I can tell you some of those. This past week I have been down in Florida and even watched a 400 pound marlin get brought in at the Northeast Florida Marlin Association on Sunday. Though I think the marlin was losing about a pound a second in that amazing heat.

Another downside to global warming.... it makes fish smaller.

It also makes your drinks look a lot smaller.

dw8928,
Thanks for the info on Mariner Yachts. I've been eyeballing their 35' Express Seville for about 5 years. I saw it up at the Newport, RI boat show in 2007 and really liked it. At the time, I was looking for an offshore fishing boat, so I was not ready for it yet, but loved it.

After 5 years of owning a Sprtfish (30' Express Rampage), we are just ramping up the search for our next, and likely last boat pruchase (famouse last words, I know!@#!#$!). My wife and I are looking in the 35' to 40' range, for a planning or semi planning downeast or trawler type hull we can use for cruising both short and long range.

Anyway, short story even longer, I've been trying to get info on Mariner from Island brokers (Eric P.), and have been having difficulty, now finding this thread via google explains why. Also, the Mariner Yacht Trawler website is down.

Do they have a new website?? How do we find this company now?

It is now Helmsman. See: www.helmsmantrawlers.com.

Birdman said:
dw8928,
Thanks for the info on Mariner Yachts. I've been eyeballing their 35' Express Seville for about 5 years. I saw it up at the Newport, RI boat show in 2007 and really liked it. At the time, I was looking for an offshore fishing boat, so I was not ready for it yet, but loved it.

After 5 years of owning a Sprtfish (30' Express Rampage), we are just ramping up the search for our next, and likely last boat pruchase (famouse last words, I know!@#!#$!). My wife and I are looking in the 35' to 40' range, for a planning or semi planning downeast or trawler type hull we can use for cruising both short and long range.

Anyway, short story even longer, I've been trying to get info on Mariner from Island brokers (Eric P.), and have been having difficulty, now finding this thread via google explains why. Also, the Mariner Yacht Trawler website is down.

Do they have a new website?? How do we find this company now?

Is Paul involved in the new company at all? He is a great guy and would be an asset if he is.

Manuals and such for Mariner

"Only real issue is lack of owner's manual. Right now I am burning fuel from port tank much faster than starboard tank. I remember Steve junior telling me about the fuel return valve management but did not take notes."
I too have a Mariner 37 which I bought from the first owner. He provided all of the equipment manuals, but ther were no operating ones included. I am also looking any and all plans: electrical, plumbing, hull, etc. Anything.

"Only real issue is lack of owner's manual. Right now I am burning fuel from port tank much faster than starboard tank. I remember Steve junior telling me about the fuel return valve management but did not take notes."
I too have a Mariner 37 which I bought from the first owner. He provided all of the equipment manuals, but ther were no operating ones included. I am also looking any and all plans: electrical, plumbing, hull, etc. Anything.

This is what I do - I draw and return fuel to the same tank. You should have a supply and return valve for each tank. Do not ever draw from one tank and return to the other. Maybe that is way you are drawing fuel faster from the port tank than the stbd tank.

My boat has a stbd list so I keep the port tank as much as 40 gallons fuller than the stbd tank. Switching fuel tanks is just part of the cruise plan.

As far as manuals go, when Steve Smith Sr. was the distributor you would feel lucky just to get the boat. Forget about manuals. I don't know if the new distributor, Waterline Boats in Seattle, is going to print manuals but I've gotten along OK without them. If you have any questions, let me know.

Ron

I would call Scott in Seattle who will tell you all about existing relationships: 206-282-0110

Looking at a Mariner 40

I am looking at two Mariner 40's right now. A look at the Helmsmen site lists this boat as a 38 sedan 2 stateroom... One is a 2005, the other 2007. Pretty much the same boat, a few minor differences.

One of the boats has what looks like hundreds of pounds of small concrete blocks down in the lower bilge. What's up with that?

Both of these boats have issues that make it difficult for me to make an offer.

Greetings,
Mr. Sharkey. I know nothing of Mariner Yachts but the simple fact of the matter is, if both boats you are interested in have "issues", walk away and be prepared to do the same with ANY vessel you are not comfortable with.

If the concrete blocks are on one side only of the hull,they may be balancing weight on the other side( fittings,batteries,fridge,genset,whatever..). If both sides, that may say something about design/stability.
But I don`t know these boats. With due respect, you may heed the wisdom of RTF. BruceK

Greetings,
Mr. Sharkey. I know nothing of Mariner Yachts but the simple fact of the matter is, if both boats you are interested in have "issues", walk away and be prepared to do the same with ANY vessel you are not comfortable with.

Sage advice rooted in true wisdom.

Been in business for quite a while 37 Seville pilot house is an interesting layout.

Just saw your post. I have had one of these for almost 3 years now. Did you have any questions?

The boat has a very innovative interior plan and is well built. I've taken it to Alaska and it does as well as expected in the exposed water crossing. My only compliant is that the builder, Steve Smith, is a liar and will cheat you if given a chance but he does build a good boat. If you where to order a new boat, do not believe anything he says would be my advise.

Ron

thanks for the info. I will strike mariner off my list of boats to buy.

Helmsman just confirmed a new 38 PilotHouse will be at the Miami Boat Show in February. Very beamy interior and all wooded out in sumptuous style. Fitted with a yanmar, and designed for fun and adventure. Come see us!!!!

Helmsman

I'm new to yachting and have been researching a boat to buy since last August. I spent quite a bit of time with Scott at the Seattle boat show this weekend and have come away from the experience with a favourable assessment of his character and capability. So much so, that I'm already part way through the process of ordering a new boat from him.

I've been assured by Scott that the "other guy"- who I'm assuming is the person that's not spoken of highly in this thread- is gone from the scene.

I don't object to the posts from dw8929, although he speaks a bit vaguely.

I'll update this thread as we go through what I expect to be a very enjoyable experience, if people are interested in what I have to say?

Welcome aboard. I'm sure you will have a FAR more enjoyable experience ordering a new boat through Scott than I had dealing with the "other guy".

Please do keep the thread updated as I for one, would enjoy hearing of your experience.

Ron

Greetings,

RT, there is no perfect boat. Isnt the idea to find the vessel that has the least issues that are not easily fixed at a price within your budget? Blonde sense

40' Mariner Yachts International Sedan

My husband and I are planning to buy a trawler in the next few months. Does anyone out there own one of the 40' Mariner Yachts? Or if you know someone who owns one. I would really like your opinion, if you do. There are so many different brands, it is mind boggling. :ermm:

Owners manual

Turns out experience has been the best owners manual. Almost 2 years now, have made a lot of upgrades to fix issues mostly related to installed systems, not really the builders fault. This week switching over to smart plugs. Thanks for the input.

I don't think so. Mariner Yachts International, now Helmsman Yachts.

Happy Thought,

Thanks for your reply. Having trouble finding out anything about the Mariner 38 Orient trawler. We're new to trawlering and trying to research this vessel. Know anything? Have an opinion on what would be a good trawler with 2 berths, covered cockpit, flybridge and helm in the under $200k range?

Smessick, unfortunately I do not know the Mariner Orient. I look at trawlers a lot and know what you seek. Ours is everything that you want except for that 2nd stateroom. Sleeps 5 but one in pilot house and two more in salon due to a queen sofa bed. We love our boat, Mariner Seville 37, most used one are asking near 300k. Mainship comes to mind, there are plenty out there and deals to be had. They are light and can be uncomfortable in heavy chop according to two owners that I know but all boats under 3 million bucks have trade offs. I think that if you can find a good Krogen 42 (older) that would do it. Best regards, Jeff

I stand corrected. Looks like the Mariner 38 Orient is from the same company as mine. One for sale in Baltimore, a 2004. I can tell you that we are happy with our boat's build quality, handling and overall engineering. What isn't right at least can be accessed easily and correct (so far). Nice woodwork. Probably cam from the same factory as ours, ours is a 2008. Factory support? Not sure. Helmsman Yachts now brings in what used to be the Mariner line. They seem like nice folks and people on this forum have said nice things about them. Massey sales in Florida represents them on the east coast. I have not had the bad dealings that others had with the company. We bought a 2008 in 2011 so missed the whole dealing with the delays, commissioning etc.. thing. Paul Burbach handled our purchase and is one of the finest brokers I have ever known. I would buy a boat from him again in a second. Good luck, keep me posted.

Seville doors

Hi Ron, appreciate the advice offer. Have made a lot of improvements and only one issue so far that is nagging me, the doors. As I live near Island Yacht Brokers I actually bought thee now doors and hardware from Steve Jr. When he was liquidating hardware. Good deal and nice to have spares but it did not take long for port door to start hanging up again. Any good ideas or fixes to keep the doors working properly?

Thanks, Jeff

Hi Ron, appreciate the advice offer. Have made a lot of improvements and only one issue so far that is nagging me, the doors. As I live near Island Yacht Brokers I actually bought thee now doors and hardware from Steve Jr. When he was liquidating hardware. Good deal and nice to have spares but it did not take long for port door to start hanging up again. Any good ideas or fixes to keep the doors working properly?

Thanks, Jeff

We just got back from our 3 month summer cruise to northern BC and I just saw this. I too, am having problems with both pilothouse doors hanging up. My wife, expecially is constantly knocking them out of the lower track and I have to go outside to lift the door back in place. The salon door however works wonderfully. With that door, I found that the upper track wasn't parallel with the bottom track by 1/4 in. so after that was corrected it works great.

I made some measurments on the pilothouse doors and the tracks are pretty close to parallel, not perfect however. I think I need to remove the doors so I can make a more accurate measurment for parallelism between the tracks.

I know you should have the upper slide track hold the weight of the door and the lower track should just keep the door in place. This is a very fine adjustment and seems to be affected by heat or cold because of expansion of the door.

The new boats have replace the fiberglass doors with aluminum and I understand they work better.

Ron

What about the headroom on this boat, I am 6'4" (at least)

Your best bet would be to get on a Helmsman 38 and see how it fits but I think you would be OK with 6' 4".

Ron

Back
Top Bottom