Robert Beebe's original Passagemaker Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divocean

Vessel Name
Passagemaker
Vessel Make
Robert Beebe's original Passagemaker
Ahoy! We are Laura and Chris Remacle and we are in Trinidad working on a refit of our next floating home- We found Robert Beebe's original Passagemaker, a historical wooden boat - slowly sinking and all alone in Trinidad and we decided to save her!
Passagemaker was once the pride and joy of the world renowned designer Robert Beebe, author of Voyaging Under Power, and the culmination of his quest for an ocean-crossing cruising powerboat. With some TLC Passagemaker can sail again. Today her hull is still as solid as the day she was launched but her mahogany plywood decks are in sad need of repair, along with much of her rigging and engine. It would be such a shame to let this fine historical vessel disappear beneath the sea.
We have begun the task of bringing Passagemaker back to life but due to Covid and the lockdowns in Trinidad, work was stopped and the budget has drained away.
We have started a GoFundMe and Facebook page called
Passagemaker Refit
check us out!
We would love to hear any feedback, suggestions or comments.
Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG-20200920-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20200920-WA0006.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG-20210304-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210304-WA0007.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-20210326-WA0008-1-1.jpg
    IMG-20210326-WA0008-1-1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211124_141257.jpg
    20211124_141257.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20211123_152019.jpg
    20211123_152019.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG-20210304-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210304-WA0005.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20211004_162557.jpg
    20211004_162557.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20211025_152746.jpg
    20211025_152746.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20211029_161307.jpg
    20211029_161307.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20211104_110930.jpg
    20211104_110930.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Its a tough sell to go with the GoFundMe request on post #1.

Best of luck with your project.

Current pictures of the boat and pictures of what you've done would go a long way to enticing people to contribute. Unfortunately there are lots of scammers in the world, so proof is now a requirement.

Ted

Thanx for the feedback. I'm new at the social Media thing and someone suggested I reach out to a wider audience. But you are right, my apologies. It's been a tough go

That's a great idea. Not sure why I didn't do that!

There’s pictures galore on the aforementioned Facebook page. Their work is also covered in an article in the Nov/Dec issue of Passagemaker.

Good luck! There’s three or four owners of fiberglass and steel builds on Beebe’s passagemaker designs kicking around on here, and I’m an aspirational owner of one as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just went back and added some photos. We are seriously working hard on this boat and definitely not scammers. We just need a little help to complete the job....

Thanks for the backup! We've been working so hard on the boat that it's difficult to get the time to post it all. I'd love to see your favorite design

A worthy project Divocean. Best of luck with that. :thumb:

Beebe designed a fantastic boat. We are lucky enough to have found a Beebe in good condition, and are in the process of making her our own. Best of luck in your restorations, and please keep the thread updated. Take care, Scot

Not to be a wet blanket but I will not use Facebook for anything so even though inclined I can't help.

I get your reluctance with Facebook. With a project this overwhelming sometimes the best kind of help are simply words of encouragement - that's what keeps us going to work on the boat everyday in the exhausting heat and humidity of Trinidad.

Seems like they have plenty of energy and motivation, it's money that they need help with, not encouragement.

It's a worthy cause and it would be great to see Passagemaker sailing again. I was happy to make a donation out of respect for the task and Robert Beebe's legacy.

The beginning!

Almost all passage making trawlers designed for pleasure and not cargo can trace their history in some way or another to this boat. Well done bringing her back to life!
Please keep the updates coming, the trawler community will help out where we can.

Thanks again, Capt. Kirk

I thought the original Passagemaker was owned by a couple who were running charters up the Amazon River. Did they abandon her in Trinidad or something?

Passagemaker Refit

Yes Passagemaker did go up the Amazon with the previous owners but unfortunately Peter passed away suddenly while Louise was in South Africa. The boat was left on a mooring buoy and her generator was stolen. So with no way to keep batteries charged her bilge pumps stopped working and she was leaking badly. There was a friend who would go out and pump her bilges once in a while but he was not able to keep up so Passagemaker had water up over the started motor and gearbox when we found her.

PassageMaker refit

I read an article in Passage Maker magazine online and applaud you for doing it BUT, as others have said;

1) I don't know that you will stick with the project (I understand this isn't your 1st rodeo) but today's world isn't the same as when you did your other projects.

2) I don't do ANY social media either. Any of those platforms is wrought with issues that are like COVID, you can pick up the problems anytime.

3) Again, IT would seem that there are people making a bunch of money with YouTube showing a guy and a shapely gal just out cruising. Granted her bathing suit and/or other clothing is interesting/enticing (but who was looking) so a worthwhile project might garner some that would like to contribute. They could actually watch your progress and not feel they could be scammed.

Good luck with your project (ya, why didn't I think of this when I was dumping a truckload of boat bucks on our upgrades).

@Nepidaeq makes a good point. If you want to have a popular YouTube site and raise money, then think like a businessman.

Pay a non-sleazy stripper $100 to record your first video, pretending to be your girlfriend. Skimpy clothing, bending over in tight shorts, cleavage and all that. Heck you might want to even make her the commentator since she’ll be the star of your show anyway.

However you’ll still need high quality content and excellent video production skills.

I read an article in Passage Maker magazine online and applaud you for doing it BUT, as others have said;

1) I don't know that you will stick with the project (I understand this isn't your 1st rodeo) but today's world isn't the same as when you did your other projects.

2) I don't do ANY social media either. Any of those platforms is wrought with issues that are like COVID, you can pick up the problems anytime.

3) Again, IT would seem that there are people making a bunch of money with YouTube showing a guy and a shapely gal just out cruising. Granted her bathing suit and/or other clothing is interesting/enticing (but who was looking) so a worthwhile project might garner some that would like to contribute. They could actually watch your progress and not feel they could be scammed.

Good luck with your project (ya, why didn't I think of this when I was dumping a truckload of boat bucks on our upgrades).
You may not know that we will stick with this project till the end but I do! There is no way we would walk away from this now. If you knew us personally you would understand this. This boat is going to be our home,if we don't complete the project we will be homeless and that's simply not going to happen.
Other folks have suggested the idea of a YouTube channel - not everyone is content to watch beautiful babes all the time, some might enjoy more informative content. Like you said, this isn't our first rodeo and we've learned a lot along the way. I'm sure some of that knowledge might be worth passing along.

You may not know that we will stick with this project till the end but I do! There is no way we would walk away from this now. If you knew us personally you would understand this. This boat is going to be our home,if we don't complete the project we will be homeless and that's simply not going to happen.
Other folks have suggested the idea of a YouTube channel - not everyone is content to watch beautiful babes all the time, some might enjoy more informative content. Like you said, this isn't our first rodeo and we've learned a lot along the way. I'm sure some of that knowledge might be worth passing along.

This is not a sleazy project

I didn't start this thread because I needed sexist advice. My husband and I took on this project because we thought Passagemaker had integrity. The fine workmanship that went into her original build is timeless. That's the kind of beauty some people prefer.

@Nepidaeq makes a good point. If you want to have a popular YouTube site and raise money, then think like a businessman.

Pay a non-sleazy stripper $100 to record your first video, pretending to be your girlfriend. Skimpy clothing, bending over in tight shorts, cleavage and all that. Heck you might want to even make her the commentator since she’ll be the star of your show anyway.

However you’ll still need high quality content and excellent video production skills.

I didn't start this thread because I needed sexist advice. My husband and I took on this project because we thought Passagemaker had integrity. The fine workmanship that went into her original build is timeless. That's the kind of beauty some people prefer.

Exactly so Diveocean, so you folk stick to your plan. I'm sure over time others will see the value in assisting such a worthy project, and without your having to adopt tactics to involve folk you are not comfortable with. You've jumped in - now just hang on..! :flowers:

PassageMaker refit

Yup, you guys stick to your guns.

I would add that there are some who when asked for money, the 2 individuals asking without any real credibility (we don't know you from Adam), might want something more than we'll do it our way don't get involved.

Asking for money changes the perspective for everyone.

Personally, I'll spend my money on my boat.

Good luck with your project.

Comments well noted. We're not asking everyone for money, only those that are so inclined to help out with the Passagemaker Refit and feel it is a worthy cause. At the same time we're meeting lots of people that know about the boat and learning more about Passagemaker's history everyday.

Comments well noted. We're not asking everyone for money, only those that are so inclined to help out with the Passagemaker Refit and feel it is a worthy cause. At the same time we're meeting lots of people that know about the boat and learning more about Passagemaker's history everyday.

If you haven't seen it, you might look at 'Sampson Boat Company' on youtube. He is doing a restoration of an old wooden sailing boat, and his youtube channel does not employ any of the tactics previously mentioned. What it does have is, well prepared, interesting and engaging content that sailors and boat enthusiasts can enjoy watching. It might be helpful as a model or an example for you to build more of an online presence with.

Back
Top Bottom