Old Downeaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chetley

Hi All!
I am new to the big displacement hull world, but enjoy it a lot. I have not been a speedster since I was in my early 20’s, but a lifetime boater, fisherman and work on big slow research vessels as a fisheries biologist.
My two children, wife and I decided to step up and try a 33’ 1973 Chetley Rittal Downeast Lobster Cruiser. named Seaweed. She is in great structural condition for the age, framed of steam bent white oak 1.5x3 on 9” centers, white oak keel, stem and all additional framing. Only three previous owners have attended to major needs over the years. Planked in 7/8 mahogany. FRP covered plywood cabin tops and decks, teak cockpit deck. I am learning a lot about inboard propulsion as unfortunately, a recently rebuilt and reinstalled Perkins Diesel 6.3544 has failed us in this boat after a pretty flawless 7.5 hour 47 Nmi journey on her keel to the new port in our hometown. I posted the engine for sale here but do not plan to be an infrequent flyer, as the site has much useful info and good people. I will add to the goodness when I can. Thanks to the admin team here!
Vinny

Seaweed on the hard

In the Driveway:
At sunset:
On mooring:

Attachments

• C7E250F9-0F36-4D69-93C8-87663A333161.jpg
    C7E250F9-0F36-4D69-93C8-87663A333161.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 01055AF5-18B1-481D-A561-62376520A54F.jpg
    01055AF5-18B1-481D-A561-62376520A54F.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 26601840-7E86-49BF-9825-53A174DE2C08.jpg
    26601840-7E86-49BF-9825-53A174DE2C08.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 6959E2EF-B4EB-40A4-B3BF-2DAF03FB6CA4.jpg
    6959E2EF-B4EB-40A4-B3BF-2DAF03FB6CA4.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Welcome Vinny. Nothing like a down easter. Especially a wooden one. I bet she rides nice and is quite at home on choppy Buzzards Bay. Do you know where she was built? What are you re powering with? Maybe someone from admin can get the pictures squared away for you. If you haven’t already check out the Down East boat forum.
https://downeastboatforum.com/

Thanks!

Welcome Vinny. Nothing like a down easter. Especially a wooden one. I bet she rides nice and is quite at home on choppy Buzzards Bay. Do you know where she was built? What are you re powering with? Maybe someone from admin can get the pictures squared away for you. If you haven’t already check out the Down East boat forum.
https://downeastboatforum.com/
Thanks!
Yup, it rode nice. I don't plan on beating her up though! She was built in 1973 by Chetley Rittal in Boothbay Harbor Maine. I worked up there for a couple of years when I was younger and met my wife there. We are both Massachusetts natives, that met in the great Vacationland. I wish I could put a new diesel in it but that is not in the finances. We will not be cruising too distant, or fast, where we intend to use her, plus I have another smaller 22' Novi Lobster style with outboard. I forecast under 100 running hours a season, even if we use her every week from April through November.
Repower will be a Marine Power GM FWC 5.7L Fuel Injected V8 Gas engine. I should be receiving it soon hopefully. I just got the old Perkins out with the help of a giant Rotator truck (heavy highway wrecker) last Friday. What a process this has been already. I hoisted it and readied it for the heavy lift day on a steel IBEAM supported by wooden legs braced against the keel where it was blocked on solid ground. I had to take the wheelhouse back wall off and disassemble the saloon interior before doing that. All in the last two months since she was hauled to my house. I am thankful I have the space at home. It makes accomplishing feats of this size easier when it is right where you and your tools are. The plan is to get her ship shape for an April launch, if I can get her painted and running again by then. If the weather cooperates, maybe I will. So far, I feel I am on schedule.

Last edited:
DE Boat Forum

Charlie,
Yes, I am a frequent flyer there. Novivin, over there.
I actually borrowed that IBEAM from the man who started the forum.
Wicked nice Guy.
Vinny

Charlie,
Yes, I am a frequent flyer there. Novivin, over there.
I actually borrowed that IBEAM from the man who started the forum.
Wicked nice Guy.
Vinny

Wicked nice? Sounds like you are from the Boston area. Welcome! Pretty boat. Good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom