Thread: Old Downeaster
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 04:09 AM   #1
Chetley

City: Fairhaven
Old Downeaster

Hi All!
I am new to the big displacement hull world, but enjoy it a lot. I have not been a speedster since I was in my early 20s, but a lifetime boater, fisherman and work on big slow research vessels as a fisheries biologist.
My two children, wife and I decided to step up and try a 33 1973 Chetley Rittal Downeast Lobster Cruiser. named Seaweed. She is in great structural condition for the age, framed of steam bent white oak 1.5x3 on 9 centers, white oak keel, stem and all additional framing. Only three previous owners have attended to major needs over the years. Planked in 7/8 mahogany. FRP covered plywood cabin tops and decks, teak cockpit deck. I am learning a lot about inboard propulsion as unfortunately, a recently rebuilt and reinstalled Perkins Diesel 6.3544 has failed us in this boat after a pretty flawless 7.5 hour 47 Nmi journey on her keel to the new port in our hometown. I posted the engine for sale here but do not plan to be an infrequent flyer, as the site has much useful info and good people. I will add to the goodness when I can. Thanks to the admin team here!
Vinny
Chetley is offline   Reply With Quote