first electronic marine safety flare to meet the United States Coast Guard (USCG) Sta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, what about this one from Weems and Plath? It's been around for years. Did the CG change their requirements or standards for electronic flares?

18460139_TMB.18042018030003.jpg

Without looking them up, could be a higher certification for commercial/passenger vessels.

But the other flare meets USCG regs...made by same company I think....and no change in USCG certs that I have heard.

New requirements?

I am not sure if I trust these types of lights. They show up good when you have a dark background. But if you have lights behind you in the background say a city it could be hard to see when compared to an actual flare.

But I don't have any experience with these type of signal devices.

Even flares are hit or miss with the general public. Sure SAR crews will react properly to a flare, especially those well enough trained and experienced in seeing the telltale color and glow.

That's why one should update boat equipment on and form that requests survival/safety equipment on it...like float plans, EPIRB registrations, etc. That was SAR crews may be more tuned to the SOS flash.

In today's day and age, nothing like an EPIRB, PLB, or DSC distress broadcast to help you getting found. But once a SAR unit is in the general area...a dang good light of any type will help a lot.

Weems and Plath

About a month ago I looked the regs about the LED and found it confusing. It seemed that the LED was good for night only. Then that does NOT eliminate the flare requirement. Not sure after reading, maybe my Weems and Plath is obsolete!

The electronic flare meets the night requirement and they include a daytime distress flag to meet the daytime requirement. I have gotten rid of the old pyrotechnic flares. They go out of date and are difficult to get rid of. We carry VHF, cell phones and PLBs so that should be good enough to call for help. The regular pyrotechnic flares only last for a few seconds and if no one is looking they aren’t much help.

I have the Sirius device. I also have regular flares as well. My take on the light, is it's good to have, mobile, won't burn anything and biggest of all, does not expire. :)

One advantage of the electronic type is ability to be stored without regard to
weather or water damage. One brief dunking of a pyro flare renders it useless.

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/AD1038361.pdf

Seems the original was approved for white due to efficacy and illumination of the white LED vs colored LEDs. SOS is the only approved flashing sequence but it is too slow to be easily seen with background lighting. So the two color red-orange/cyan was approved and with a faster SOS sequence. The lights were specifically tested for conspicuity against distracting background lighting. The new two color versions also meet the candela requirements previously set.

"One brief dunking of a pyro flare renders it useless"

I was shown that quickly dunking a night flare once lit , makes it smoke and very observable as a day flare.

"One brief dunking of a pyro flare renders it useless"

I was shown that quickly dunking a night flare once lit , makes it smoke and very observable as a day flare.
Good to know. I was thinking of flares that get wet during storage as in a dinghy.

That doesn’t mean it is current or correct.

That is true.

So it would seem to me these LED lights are not as effective during daylight or when there is a lot of light pollution behind the LED lights.

Comodave,thanks,for info, yes there is an orange flag, then I am good. You are right about all the other ways of communicating including my green lasers.The lasers last a lot longer than a flare. How many boats have been set on fire with flares?

That is true.

So it would seem to me these LED lights are not as effective during daylight or when there is a lot of light pollution behind the LED lights.
Maybe true but ad said they are not meant or approved for day time... orange flag is approved and effective when affixed to a boat hook and waved.
At night with lots of background lighting any light signal isn't all that effective... including glares. A parachute flare is probably the most effective but only if someone is looking that way. The beauty of multiple devices is one may catch attention and another confirms the emergency. Batteries will last a long time with LEDs flashing. The LEDs are very bright... recommend not turning it on a staring at it!

Maybe true but ad said they are not meant or approved for day time... orange flag is approved and effective when affixed to a boat hook and waved.
At night with lots of background lighting any light signal isn't all that effective... including glares. A parachute flare is probably the most effective but only if someone is looking that way. The beauty of multiple devices is one may catch attention and another confirms the emergency. Batteries will last a long time with LEDs flashing. The LEDs are very bright... recommend not turning it on a staring at it!

Good point Don.

I guess its better to spend the $$ and have a safety device on board, than wish you had it when your feet start getting wet.:thumb:

Here are the 2 devices, the older version and the newer one. More LED's, more colors, Infrared SOS (that's pretty cool) and bluetooth connectivity. New version definitely has a hefty price increase!!!

https://siriussignal.com/evdsd-comparison/

If the *it* hits the fan and you are floating in the water using this light to get someone's attention, I'm not sure of the utility of the bluetooth connectivity feature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom