View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #18
dcolman
Veteran Member

City: Coronado
Vessel Name: Hey Joe
Vessel Model: 40' Mainship Trawler, 21' Ranger Tug, 17' Montauk
I use biobor and stanadyne cuz that's what my CAT guy recommended. I suspect my CAT 3116 returns a lot more fuel to the tanks than it burns... I have primary 30 mic racor 900 and CAT spin on secondary. My polisher is a separate loop. Separate tank pickups, pump and motor and element. I can polish as I run the engine but do not intend to. Also intend to use polisher for fuel transfer and to fill up my little Ranger Tug.

My life experience is that magic in a bottle never works. Stop leak will sometimes stop a leak and who knows for a fact whether injector cleaner actually does you any good? Ill use these products for maintenance purposes but I am skeptical about matter-of-fact claims such as "6% increase in mileage". How would you even know? Too many variables to accurately measure mileage. Your savings would probably he within the range of error if it were calculated under "lab conditions".

The proof will be in the pudding as regards tank cleanliness. Borescope is a pretty cheap tool to look inside the tanks and remove all doubt.
dcolman is offline   Reply With Quote