42 Classic Main Saloon lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
I suspect other size Grand Banks have the same lighting systems, at least in the same age categories, but I am in need of some bulbs for the lighting I will describe as port side just aft of that cabin door. As we know some owners have a bench seat there, we have a counter with storage underneath and our freezer.

What’s underneath probably has no influence on the lighting however. The lights in the area I’m describing here are a few inches shorter than those over the table, meaning basically midship. Those have the bulbs in them, they work, and I inherited a few spares that also show a GE model number. The ones over the counter however have to be smaller because of the recess size and ballast length, and there are no burned out bulbs in there for me to try to source. It makes me think the prior owner never did so, however I would like to. The ballast they go into is also different. I’ve posted a picture of both below. On the left is the one over the table and works. The pic on the right is the one I need to find bulbs for.

If anyone can point me towards where to buy the smaller type bulbs I will be very appreciative.

Attachments

• 57191229-E029-453F-820A-BF86606EFE82.jpg
    57191229-E029-453F-820A-BF86606EFE82.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 568C2AA6-524C-41BF-954D-2086908853E8.jpg
    568C2AA6-524C-41BF-954D-2086908853E8.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 14
Probably easier to replace the entire fixture with a new LED. I had some "shorter fixtures in the ER and could not find bulbs (tubes) that worked.

I would vote for LEDs also. Are working with 12vdc or 120 ac. I found on line double contact bayonet mount fittings and replaced some small tubes lights with two 3 watt leds in four fixtures in my engine room good results were better lighting and less power draw off the batteries. No ballasts required.

These guys might have something https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts...facetValueFilter=tenant~bulb-type:flourescent

If you strike out but want to keep the same fixture you could convert it to LED. I've done this before by gutting the legacy sockets and mounts and replacing with LED stripe lights. In your fixture I'd probably go for two stripes of light. I like SuperBrightLEDS because they usually have good descriptions regarding lumens per foot, color temperature and amp draw. They have light strips you can cut to size and join together with connectors.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom