Cruising Lake Champlain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

Will be cruising Lake Champlain this summer, most likely in June.

Looking for neat places to see, good anchorages and things I might want to avoid.

Heading up on the Hudson to get there. Looks like a pretty good hike up the Champlain river/canal..... anything exciting there?

Then heading up to Montreal..... if Canada open.

Thoughts?

I was there this summer and can give you a good bit of information. Although, if it were me, I'd rather come back through Champlain in August as it and the water will be much warmer (surface temperatures in the low 80s).

I covered a good bit of the lake in 2 months.

Screenshot_20211205-161434_Adblock Browser.jpg

Ted

Last edited:
We are planning on moving our new to us boat to Lake Champlain via the Hudson and Champlain canal in May depending on lock schedules.

Larry
Thats a great trip, you will enjoy it.
A couple stops that stick in my mind...
Champlain Canal
Waterford - busy but an interesting stop with boats coming & going on both Champlain & Erie
Fort Edward- good restaurant nearby... we judge many of our stops by the restaurants nearby.
Whitehall - good tie up at town wall w power and a good staging place for a day cruise to Lk Champlain

LK C
Maritime museum on SE shore a worthwhile stop.
Burlington- a great stop with lots to offer, good public transport, restaurants, etc. Reservations for a slip essential and a mooring field close by.
Plattsburgh - several historic museums within walking distance. Town marina a good option & restaurants nearby.
Deep Bay - N of Plattsburg is a state park with many mooring cans Beach & places ashore for walks

Montreal - old Town marina is a great location but reservations recommended.

We are planning on doing the Triangle Loop, leaving around June 20. Chesapeake Bay to Hudson River, NYS Canals to Lake Ontario, Kingston to Ottawa, Montreal and maybe Quebec and then back to Lake Champlain and home. Maybe we'll be bumping into you along the way!

BTW, if you come up the Chesapeake we should try and meet up somewhere.

We are planning on doing the Triangle Loop, leaving around June 20. Chesapeake Bay to Hudson River, NYS Canals to Lake Ontario, Kingston to Ottawa, Montreal and maybe Quebec and then back to Lake Champlain and home. Maybe we'll be bumping into you along the way!

That sounds like a good trip. I will be taking the same path to Ottawa and then heading back down to do the Trent Severn and on to Lake Superior. Probably be about a month ahead of you.

Ted

That sounds like a good trip. I will be taking the same path to Ottawa and then heading back down to do the Trent Severn and on to Lake Superior. Probably be about a month ahead of you.

Ted

Give a wave to Rochester when you hit Lake Ontario!

Give a wave to Rochester when you hit Lake Ontario!

Will do, but will probably pass by on the Erie canal East bound in mid September.

Ted

If you purchase your Canadian Lock & mooring passes before end of March there is a significant discount.
Do a little exploring of 1,000 Is area before starting the Rideau. Antique Boat museum in Clayton is worth a full day. Bold & Singer Castles near Alex Bay interesting. Then take the northern channel back to Kingston before starting the Rideau.
If you want any sights, restaurant, lock or Anchorage info on Rideau PM me and I can elaborate.

I live in Malletts Bay and cruise Champlain all summer. There's lots to do. PM me if interested in chatting. If you make it to Malletts Bay/Colchester or Burlington, let me know. I'd be happy to meet up and host for a drink or dinner.

On the cool side, I live on the northernmost part of Marble Island, so I see every boat that goes in and out of Inner Malletts Bay.

@O C Diver We met very briefly this summer I think. You were anchored over by the causeway in Malletts Bay. I stopped by to look at your beautiful boat in a little 13 whaler and we chatted briefly.

A few other interesting spots depending on how much time you have:
Partridge Harbour (SW) Converse Bay (anchorage) Otter Creek up to Vergennes
Definitely call well in advance for Burlington reservations but don’t miss a stop there, Valcour Island (NW anchorages), Burton Island (NE).

I always liked Haverstraw Bay as an anchorage in the lower Hudson north of the Tappanzee bridge on the east side of the river. A zoo on weekends but sparse during the week.
Rondout Creek near Kingston is a nice stop. A tough fit for a 40 ft boat at the town marina, but we managed. There are some nice restaurants and a small museum.
Coeyman's Landing is/was a nice marina with great people, they used to be a Mainship dealer. There's another marina just south in New Baltimore both on the west side of the river. And if you'd rather anchor we always like going behind Houghtailing's Island (sp?). But the Metro runs all night lol.
Definately stay at Waterford if you can. Good place to restock.
We liked the Champlain canal wall at Schulerville, and Whitehall.
We liked the anchorage behind Valcour Island. And spending the night/refueling at Rouses point is a good plan.
We spent the night at several of the French speaking towns on the Richelieu, I think St Jeans and Chambly were a couple of them.
And stay in Old Montreal at the big marina there (can't recall the name). Spend a few days, it's interesting. But be wary of the last mile or 2 going into Montreal because you'll be bucking a strong current and it sneaks up on you (at least it did on me).

Have a great trip!

I always liked Haverstraw Bay as an anchorage in the lower Hudson north of the Tappanzee bridge on the east side of the river. A zoo on weekends but sparse during the week.
Rondout Creek near Kingston is a nice stop. A tough fit for a 40 ft boat at the town marina, but we managed. There are some nice restaurants and a small museum.
Coeyman's Landing is/was a nice marina with great people, they used to be a Mainship dealer. There's another marina just south in New Baltimore both on the west side of the river. And if you'd rather anchor we always like going behind Houghtailing's Island (sp?). But the Metro runs all night lol.
Definately stay at Waterford if you can. Good place to restock.
We liked the Champlain canal wall at Schulerville, and Whitehall.
We liked the anchorage behind Valcour Island. And spending the night/refueling at Rouses point is a good plan.
We spent the night at several of the French speaking towns on the Richelieu, I think St Jeans and Chambly were a couple of them.
And stay in Old Montreal at the big marina there (can't recall the name). Spend a few days, it's interesting. But be wary of the last mile or 2 going into Montreal because you'll be bucking a strong current and it sneaks up on you (at least it did on me).

Have a great trip!

Good Stuff Jay!

I had several of your recommendations on my list of possible stops, Coeymans, Haverstraw, etc. Also Waterford, Valcour Island, etc. I think we have to stop at Rouses Point to go through customs. For Montreal, we were thinking of staying at Port de Plaisance, Longueuil and take the high speed ferry to the city. Any thoughts on that idea?

Good Stuff Jay!

I had several of your recommendations on my list of possible stops, Coeymans, Haverstraw, etc. Also Waterford, Valcour Island, etc. I think we have to stop at Rouses Point to go through customs. For Montreal, we were thinking of staying at Port de Plaisance, Longueuil and take the high speed ferry to the city. Any thoughts on that idea?

I liked being in the city, it was an awesome experience. It was a little more expensive but well worth the convenience IMO.
Customs is just past Rouses Point marina.

I was there this summer and can give you a good bit of information. Although, if it were me, I'd rather come back through Champlain in August as it and the water will be much warmer (surface temperatures in the low 80s).

I covered a good bit of the lake in 2 months.

Ted

Ted and all, we’d like to do the Champlain in 2023 but the lowest we’re likely to be is 17’3” or so with full tanks and everything removed from the radar arch. I understand that the limiting bridge height is 17’0”. Also think I read somewhere that the lock operators will fluctuate the water levels under certain conditions if asked. Know anything about this? Also, do water levels typically decline naturally in the summer, assuming that’s the dry season up there?

Any direct experience much appreciated.

In Montreal another great place to stay is in the Lachine Canal just above the bottom lock. It's run by Parks Canada. Fabulous location in the heart of the old city.

We stayed at the Old Port of Montreal which is right in the heart of the city. Had a great time.

And in Quebec City, if you go that far, we also stayed in the Old Port which is inside a lock that stabilizes the level relative to the tides inside a closed basin. It was another excellent location for seeing the city.

@O C Diver We met very briefly this summer I think. You were anchored over by the causeway in Malletts Bay. I stopped by to look at your beautiful boat in a little 13 whaler and we chatted briefly.

You had me scratching my head for a minute.

Inside the causeway, the small bay to the North is where I anchored twice. I think that's where we talked.

Really enjoyed Niquette Bay and hiking the park there. Left the boat for a week at Champlain Marina while doing a family vacation. The marina was extremely accommodating.

Ted

Ted and all, we’d like to do the Champlain in 2023 but the lowest we’re likely to be is 17’3” or so with full tanks and everything removed from the radar arch. I understand that the limiting bridge height is 17’0”. Also think I read somewhere that the lock operators will fluctuate the water levels under certain conditions if asked. Know anything about this? Also, do water levels typically decline naturally in the summer, assuming that’s the dry season up there?

Any direct experience much appreciated.

I can't give you a good answer as I'm away from the boat for 10 days. I believe there would be more than one brige at issue.

The dry season doesn't really effect the Champlain locks as the water doesn't come from Lake Champlain. Best way to describe it, from Waterford on the Champlain canal, you are ascending till lock 8. At lock 9 you start descending for the remaining locks to the lake. There is a small tributary that maintains the level between 8 and 9. The rest of the way in each direction, there are spillways to maintain the canal levels.

Ted

How is your arch attached? Is there any possibility of taking it down to gain clearance? Or is it glassed in place?

How is your arch attached? Is there any possibility of taking it down to gain clearance? Or is it glassed in place?

It’s bolted on but not hinged. Also, LOTS of cables (radar, lights multiple antennas) going through narrow chases that would complicate things. Good thought but not a trivial job.

I measured our height a couple years ago in brackish upper Chesapeake water at 17’2”. That was with nearly empty tanks, IIRC. Since then, I epoxied in a two-inch base for the radar dome. I plan to top off the water tanks, take on a lot more fuel and remeasure here, in fresh water. Then I should at least have hard numbers to work with.

It’s bolted on but not hinged. Also, LOTS of cables (radar, lights multiple antennas) going through narrow chases that would complicate things. Good thought but not a trivial job.

I measured our height a couple years ago in brackish upper Chesapeake water at 17’2”. That was with nearly empty tanks, IIRC. Since then, I epoxied in a two-inch base for the radar dome. I plan to top off the water tanks, take on a lot more fuel and remeasure here, in fresh water. Then I should at least have hard numbers to work with.

If you can build a brace to support it and there's a little slack in the wiring, you might be able to unbolt it and tilt enough to gain 6 inches or so without having to take the arch down entirely.

Depending on how salty the water you measure in is, fresh water might buy you another inch.

If you can build a brace to support it and there's a little slack in the wiring, you might be able to unbolt it and tilt enough to gain 6 inches or so without having to take the arch down entirely.

Depending on how salty the water you measure in is, fresh water might buy you another inch.

:thumb:

SeeVee, where are you starting from? We did the reverse trip delivering our boat from southern Lake Champlain to Long Island Sound. The Hudson is a nice trip. Note that there is a tidal current all the way up to Albany so time that if you can. Passing West Point was a highlight as well as the bridges and sights around NYC, but not sure where you are coming from. Good anchorage at Croton Point on the Hudson. Unless you are in a big hurry, plan on 2 days at least for the Champlain canal. Possible to do in a day if you start early. Fort Edwards is an ok stop for lunch or a walk. Entrance to the Erie canal is cool. Busy place, I personally wouldn't stay there too long. Champlain locks are quick and easy. We stopped here overnight. Good marina with dockside bar and onsite restaurant. The pic for my avitar is from here: https://www.theyachtbasin.com/

Exiting the canal Whitehall is a good stop for fuel and supplies. You can stay there or head a little farther north. We stayed at Chipman Point marina. A nice quaint family run place. No restaurant, but otherwise pretty full service and very reasonable. Note that the southern part of the lake is VERY narrow. No problem navigating and pretty cool, just a little tight so pay attention and go slowly.

Keep an eye out for Fort Ticonderoga. Can't see a lot from the water. Probably worth a stop to tour the fort if you've never been. Just past the Champlain Bridge is Champlain Bridge Marina where I bought my boat. Another nice family run business. Nice clean marina, parts and Service, picnic grounds, fuel (no diesel I think), etc. We didn't go farther North but I understand there are lots of great places on the lake. Note that they are very strict about no discharge. In fact, you are supposed to phsyically remove your overboard discharge hose, but I suspect not many do. Mine was intact. At a minimum, secure your seacock. Get a cruising guide and charts to plan your trip. Vergennes looks like a cool stop if you can get in there. I wanted to, but didn't take the time to. It's a good trip, enjoy!

Last edited:
BlackinBlue,

Starting from St. Pete, FL... home base. Doing the great loop a second time... perhaps. If Canada is closed probably will just go up to Lake Champlain and return, with a few side trips.

Great info, thx!

BlackinBlue,

Starting from St. Pete, FL... home base. Doing the great loop a second time... perhaps. If Canada is closed probably will just go up to Lake Champlain and return, with a few side trips.

Great info, thx!

Wow quite a trip! Do you plan to stop in NYC? If so, I have some good tips for you, lmk. I think you could spend a season on Lake Champlain and not see all of it. Very clean, very deep, cold fresh water. It used to be the 6th great lake. Just watch out for this guy!!

https://www.lakechamplainregion.com/heritage/champ

BlackinBlue,

Great info, thx!

If you go no further than Lake Champlain and back (which is a lot!), a side trip into Long Island Sound and out toward Rhode Island has lots of great harbors and rivers, anchorages and marinas to explore including some classic spots like Essex CT, Block Island, Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Montauck NY, and on and on.

Fort Edwards is an ok stop for lunch or a walk. Entrance to the Erie canal is cool. Busy place, I personally wouldn't stay there too long.

Fort Edwards is incorrect. Meant to say Waterford, where Erie canal and Champlain canal meet (actually the Hudson at that point). But it's a fork in the road where you either go to the Champlain or Erie canal, so a popular stop for many. Free tie up at the town pier. We stopped for lunch, not sure if you are allowed to overnight there. Noteable that there are some towns along the canal that do have town docks including water and electric for free, but we didn't stop at any. We just made the one stop in Schuylerville about half way. Good spot. Good steakhouse restaurant onsite.

Fort Edwards is incorrect. Meant to say Waterford, where Erie canal and Champlain canal meet (actually the Hudson at that point). But it's a fork in the road where you either go to the Champlain or Erie canal, so a popular stop for many. Free tie up at the town pier. We stopped for lunch, not sure if you are allowed to overnight there. Noteable that there are some towns along the canal that do have town docks including water and electric for free, but we didn't stop at any. We just made the one stop in Schuylerville about half way. Good spot. Good steakhouse restaurant onsite.
Yes you can stay o'nite based on space avail. I think they charge a nominal $ for power?
There are a couple decent restaurants within walking distance and a local legend breakfast place that was good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom