View Single Post
Old 12-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #55
Hippocampus
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Still different boats for different folks.
Same problem throughout. Lack of infrastructure. I have a diesel Jeep. It has a range of 720 miles at 70-80 mph and rock crawls. The bride and I commonly use it to wander between states. Usually have a final destination but will wander. When we are out of fuel getting more is a non issue. We have two vehicles. Really want one to be electric. Best range we can find is 400 miles. Went it runs out needs a plug and hours to recommence the trip. Looked at our recent trips. No infrastructure to even do that.
Same with our cruising style. Commonly pick a final destination but not being under time constraints wander. Often are off grid for weeks.
Same with working in the wood lot. Carrying 5 gallons is more than enough. Your day is limited by how long there’s sunlight and do you still have the energy to stay safe with power tools.
Yes electric is great but in multiple day to day situations is just doesn’t cut the mustard. It’s a supplement. The boats having new new panels to cut down on generator runs. The electric chain saw is fine if you have to climb to limb before felling. The electric leaf blower is fine except for fall clean up. Electric vehicles are great except for long duration off grid or long haul.
Things will change. Electric semi’s are our future. Probably automatous just like ships. For all its faults “build back America “ is necessary so China doesn’t keep eating our lunch. So the infrastructure will come and the settings where electric doesn’t work will become more infrequent. I’ve been an early adapter on many things. Have a zero footprint house. But I’m happiest where people aren’t. Many people have similar tastes or are in situations where electric just doesn’t cut it. For cruising boats think the future is decreasing power demands. At present that means light, long narrow boats with solar supplements. Current offerings are Al diesel. Next step CF hybrid. Next step depends on advances in material engineering and battery/charging technologies. For present pure electric is for day tripping but just isn’t sufficient for cruising.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote