Windlass on Pilot Mainship 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fr8dog61

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30
These questions are directed mainly at owners of, or others with experience with Mainship Pilot line of cruisers (such as Rgano and Bacchus). A couple of years ago I posted that I was thinking about a windlass on my Pilot 30. The Admiralty has approved the budget request and I am preparing to begin. However, I do have an additional concern or two. Thanks in advance:
1) Horizontal, such as a Lewmar pro fish 700 Or 2) vertical, such as Lewmar V700.
2) Installation instructions for both of the above call for 12” from where the chain enters the top of the locker to the top of it piled in the bottom. I have a little over 12” to the bottom of the locker. How did you overcome? Did you raise the windlass, or make the locker deeper? (Note: the waters I operate in, inland lakes and rivers the largest being the Tennessee or the Ohio, are not deep nor demanding) I will most likely purchase a pre-made kit with 100’ of 3 strand and 5’ of chain)
3) Lastly, I am concerned with the structural integrity of where I mount the windlass, esp if I “raise” the point of attachment on the deck.

Again, thanks to everyone for their responses!

Joe

My chain locker is much deeper than your cited 12", maybe over 2 feet deep. The V700 is mounted under the chain locker hatch on a shelf at the rear of the locker, and the 180 feet of chain falls right down into the locker in a big pile. You can see the windlass, shelf, and locker hatch on the far right side of this photo. The structural integrity in my installation is all in that shelf, and you would definitely want some strength under the unit. It sounds to me like a horizontal windlass mounted up off the deck to give you enough room to pile up rode unless you are ok with managing the recovered rode manually.

Attachments

• DSC03412.jpg
    DSC03412.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks, Rich. Your setup looks a lot different than mine. I think that you are correct in that a horizontal windlass will be best. Unless someone chimes in with a radically different approach, I will probably modify the locker for mor depth. Looking at your signature line I see you have a Pilot II. Mine is a Pilot I, so they must have found some more room up front with the different bed arrangement! Thanks mucho for the reply and the pics!!!

Joe

These questions are directed mainly at owners of, or others with experience with Mainship Pilot line of cruisers (such as Rgano and Bacchus). A couple of years ago I posted that I was thinking about a windlass on my Pilot 30. The Admiralty has approved the budget request and I am preparing to begin. However, I do have an additional concern or two. Thanks in advance:
1) Horizontal, such as a Lewmar pro fish 700 Or 2) vertical, such as Lewmar V700.
2) Installation instructions for both of the above call for 12” from where the chain enters the top of the locker to the top of it piled in the bottom. I have a little over 12” to the bottom of the locker. How did you overcome? Did you raise the windlass, or make the locker deeper? (Note: the waters I operate in, inland lakes and rivers the largest being the Tennessee or the Ohio, are not deep nor demanding) I will most likely purchase a pre-made kit with 100’ of 3 strand and 5’ of chain)
3) Lastly, I am concerned with the structural integrity of where I mount the windlass, esp if I “raise” the point of attachment on the deck.

Again, thanks to everyone for their responses!

Joe
You will be happy to have far more than 5' of chain. I had five times average anchoring depth of chain + at least 200' of braided rode. Hang on all the chain, put out enough rope to eliminate the need for snubber. Sleep all night.

Not familiar with your boat but as to the rode, I would go with a brait line instead of 3 strand. The brait line will lay flatter and not kink as much as 3 strand. Also agree that you should go with way more than 5’ of chain, maybe about 30’ or so.

Joe
I'm not very familiar with details of the Pilots... mine is a 34HT. A couple years ago I replaced my 15ft of chain with 50 ft and spliced it to the MS supplied 8 plait braid. The 8 plait feeds better and is a better choice for windlass use. My windlass is the Lewmar vertical and I had plenty of locker depth for my needs. I have read that horizontal is better where depth is limited.
If interested in my 15 ft chain PM me to discuss details but I have no use for it and currently have it listed on CList.

Don and Comodave,
Sorry Dave thought you had a pilot hard top. I think I probably meant 8 plait. Unfortunately shipping for all that chain would probably be prohibitive!

Bill,
90% of the time where I will be anchoring will be in 30 feet of water or less. There is one place (the “party cove” of Kentucky Lake) that I might occasionally find myself where the depth is 100’ but it is well protected and I would not ever be there overnight or in inclement weather. It is actually where a lot of the limestone for the dam was quarried and the major draw is too jump off the cliff, and enjoy the “scenery”! :angel:

Thanks for the replies!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom