Just Wondering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skydarv

Own a 24 foot sailboat.
Just bought a condo in Florida with a boat slip and lift that can accept a 28 foot boat. Would like to do the Great Loop someday. Am wondering what size/type of boat should I get to do the Loop. Would a 28 foot boat be acceptable, e.g. a 27' Ranger Tug, which I could keep in my slip, or should I get a larger trawler that I would keep at a marina, etc. How big of boat would I need to go to the Virgin Islands and anchor out for a month. I ask all these questions so I can plan accordingly based on input from folks who know most.
Thank you for any thoughts. If I buy a boat, I think I would like large beds in separate both staterooms instead of bunk beds in the forward birth. Think I would like to stay under $75,000 for a Trawler.

Own a 24 foot sailboat.
Just bought a condo in Florida with a boat slip and lift that can accept a 28 foot boat. Would like to do the Great Loop someday. Am wondering what size/type of boat should I get to do the Loop. Would a 28 foot boat be acceptable, e.g. a 27' Ranger Tug, which I could keep in my slip, or should I get a larger trawler that I would keep at a marina, etc. How big of boat would I need to go to the Virgin Islands and anchor out for a month. I ask all these questions so I can plan accordingly based on input from folks who know most.
Thank you for any thoughts. If I buy a boat, I think I would like large beds in separate both staterooms instead of bunk beds in the forward birth. Think I would like to stay under $75,000 for a Trawler.

Welcome Skydary. I think you answered your own question. You probably want get 2 large staterooms in 28'. That being said a Ranger Tug or a 26' Nordic or AT tug will do the job. Just sounds like you want more room. You should be able, if you shop carefully, to find a suitable boat for your budget.

If you enjoy your sail boat , simply remove the mast and leave it home.

Most of the loop has little sailing , just putting in a canal or ditch .

If the size and comforts on the sail boat will do for 6 months , your all set now!

I need to go to the Virgin Islands and anchor out for a month.

The sail boat would have the easiest passage to the USVI , if its a well built boat.

To motor to the VI is 1000+ miles against the prevailing wind and current.

From anywhere on the East coast to sail to the VI aim towards Bermuda & when you pick up the trades turn right and enjoy a fast reach on down. , Fat easier trip.

Stop in the Dom Rep and the low islands on the run downwind returning.

Last edited:
Own a 24 foot sailboat.
Just bought a condo in Florida with a boat slip and lift that can accept a 28 foot boat. Would like to do the Great Loop someday. Am wondering what size/type of boat should I get to do the Loop. Would a 28 foot boat be acceptable, Yes

e.g. a 27' Ranger Tug, Only if you like cramped spaces and throwing good money away because for their price right now...you don't get much.

which I could keep in my slip, or should I get a larger trawler that I would keep at a marina, etc. Depends on how much you like the convenience of having your boat at home and using it...

How big of boat would I need to go to the Virgin Islands and anchor out for a month. There's no answer to that...seaworthiness is an elusive idea...your sailboat meets the requirement if you like camping...

I ask all these questions so I can plan accordingly based on input from folks who know most. Remember...many things posted will not be facts...just opinions so it ultimately comes down to your preferences and abilities/

Thank you for any thoughts. If I buy a boat, I think I would like large beds in separate both staterooms instead of bunk beds in the forward birth. This is pretty rare on smaller boats...but many could be modified to meet this requirement....me I'll probably cut up the forward stateroom to make it a workshop/laundry that will get used everyday as opposed to guests that will only be aboard a few weeks of the year...they can sleep wherever or at bed and breakfasts along the way...:D

Think I would like to stay under $75,000 for a Trawler. Gonna be tough unless you stay under 37 feet and an older boat...or larger and a fixer-upper that will still approach or exceed that number when all is said and done.

Me... if I was going to do the loop on a non-live aboard... I always said I would get a 32-35 lobsterboat, gut the cabin, put in an island queen with 2 large easy chairs for comfort seating/tv/reading, large vanity/head on one side, large shower stall on the other. Small galley up in the pilothouse...great seating for 2, modest seating for 2 more.

Single engine, 18-20 knots cruise, 250 mile range (with addable tankage for any other ling stretch if needed like the lower Miss....

When not cruisi'n...it would be a great dive/fishboat with the large cockpit.

Just make sure the draft is less than 5 feet for the Canadian canals and waterways. I just came thru there (in a drought year) and 6 foot draft boats were having problems. One got stuck outside the Kirkfield lock, and then again just ahead of Lake Simcoe. He had to wait for a tug to come and create a path for him to get thru.

Back
Top Bottom