Transferring US Documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
I am trying to transfer USCG Docs to us for the new boat. It is a PIA to get thru the noise of 3rd party, high cost internet BS. Any best practices out there?

(side note - much simpler in 2004!)

Thanks in advance!

I am trying to transfer USCG Docs to us for the new boat. It is a PIA to get thru the noise of 3rd party, high cost internet BS. Any best practices out there?

(side note - much simpler in 2004!)

Thanks in advance!

I guess I don’t understand what the question is. What 3rd party and high cost internet stuff? What or who is the 3rd party and what are you referring to high cost internet stuff? You don’t use the internet to transfer documentation unless you count filling out a form. But the CG cost is fixed no matter how you do it IF you go directly to the CG. It really hasn’t changed since 2004.

Sorry...went on-line to find transfer docs from CG. Lots of intervening 3rd party listings. Went to CG site. Rather cryptic, and not clear and admittingly being a bit lazy here to plough thru the website (s), thought there might be an easier, way to get to the bottom line...especially on a Saturday night.

You can always pay a 3rd party to do the work but it really isn't difficult to do yourself and you need to provide any documentation service the same info anyway.

I assume you are wanting to put the vessel document in your name after a sale. The CG calls that an "exchange". The detailed instructions are here:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/NVDC/EXCHANGE.pdf?ver=2018-12-28-130935-383

Essentially you submit a few forms found online and the $84 fee and they CG does the rest.

Thanky 23435ps...for whatever reason that escaped me.

Doc transfer with uscg directly is easy and cheap. Call ask for help. Download fill out forms. Following instructions. Must have written signed sales agmt to proceed.

We bought our new boat mid July and got our new documentation last week. I thought it would take much longer than it actually did.

Doc transfer with uscg directly is easy and cheap. Call ask for help. Download fill out forms. Following instructions. Must have written signed sales agmt to proceed.

The seller should have signed the back of the existing reg releasing interest. Has to be notarized. Then you send that in with the exchange form and wait. CG bill of sale can be done instead.

If it is documented then you need to have a CG Bill of Sale not the state registration. States may or may not register documented vessels, but to transfer a documented vessel you need the CG Bill of Sale. It is on the NVDC web site.

Go to uscg doc site. Download forms. Execute and return to uscg with small fee. Quite easy and painless. Call them for help. No need for anecdotal or any third party services.

i used a marine documentation company to do mine. it was not expensive and they took care of everything including the state registration. everything done by mail or email.
they said to expect the coast guard to take up to three months to send the new document.
i would imagine every state is a little different regarding registration, my licensing place wasn't up to speed on it, that's why i used the documentation firm. they were local and very pleasant to work with.

i used a marine documentation company to do mine. it was not expensive and they took care of everything including the state registration. everything done by mail or email.
they said to expect the coast guard to take up to three months to send the new document.
i would imagine every state is a little different regarding registration, my licensing place wasn't up to speed on it, that's why i used the documentation firm. they were local and very pleasant to work with.

To the OP, it's normally a simple process. However, if you find the combination of state and USCG and the forms and other aspects to be stressful, then a legitimate documentation service, not one of the google search grab and go ones, can provide a good service at a reasonable price.

Most of the time, simple, but state can be more complex, especially if state has sales tax. Just if you choose to get help, get a legitimate service.

For the benefit of many who may wish to use a service, who are the legitimate services? Is there a list?

To the OP, it's normally a simple process. However, if you find the combination of state and USCG and the forms and other aspects to be stressful, then a legitimate documentation service, not one of the google search grab and go ones, can provide a good service at a reasonable price.

Most of the time, simple, but state can be more complex, especially if state has sales tax. Just if you choose to get help, get a legitimate service.

100% i would only use a local firm where i could actually see them in person if i wanted to. any good local yacht broker could point you in the right direction.

Thanks all. Once I found the right site we are good. Check cashed and awaiting docs.

Back
Top Bottom