View Single Post
Old 11-27-2021, 11:12 PM   #59
slowgoesit
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Hippo, if SGT means me, I'll chime in. We weren't looking for a Gardner, nor CPP when we were shopping. I definitely do not think, nor did I EVER think that a CPP is a necessity for an LRC. I DO think that it is an added benefit, allowing the boater to operate the engine in it's "sweet spot' rpm at whatever speed you desire to travel. We have been operating at about 1400 rpm, and pitching the blades to obtain around 7 kts. EGT, or pyrometer at those settings is only around 290 to 310 deg F. Hardly even working the engine. I've got to set up a measured fuel supply and both draw and return to that supply for a sustained run in order to absolutely nail down the fuel burn, but I am thinking in the 2 gallon/hr range, including running the 12k 120v generator, which is hydraulically driven off of the main engine. So 3.5 nautical mpg isn't too shabby for a boat that currently weighs north of 80k lbs.
Having said that, I imagine that there are many LRC's that obtain similar results without Gardners or CPP's. . . . but I can't speak to those from personal experience. Perhaps others will chime in with personal experience.