Snowbird from MI looking for a crew Jan-March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've found crew with similar arrangements. Often soon to be owners are looking for offshore experience. Generally if it is a recreationsl trip I ask for shared expenses including fuel, grocery moorage. BYOB. Total is usually $100 a day. So if 3 on board $33 each. Cheap avdenture. I had one crewman pay a flat fee of $1,000 for a ten day trip from Ensenada to La Paz. It was 12 years ago and we still trade email.

I've found crew with similar arrangements. Often soon to be owners are looking for offshore experience. Generally if it is a recreationsl trip I ask for shared expenses including fuel, grocery moorage. BYOB. Total is usually $100 a day. So if 3 on board $33 each. Cheap avdenture. I had one crewman pay a flat fee of $1,000 for a ten day trip from Ensenada to La Paz. It was 12 years ago and we still trade email.

And on that ten day trip many might say you were in violation of the law. Just encourage all considering this to be very careful with the charter rules. Not heavily enforced some places but regular arrests others. Can share expenses. Cannot charge a fee.

I must be too generous. I’d have someone come along for free. Doubt I would pay for their bar bill ashore but maybe. I’d just like to gain local knowledge and help in the kitchen! If they or I have crew expectations and responsibilities I’d pay them as such. My ideal is a person or couple that are heavily experienced and would show me the great spots to anchor up north, teach me the ropes, and ideally cook (that seems to be a theme. I’d clean up), are good company and I’d pay!

Last edited:
My first thought was about what OP’s insurance company would think about any arrangement in which money was exchanged.

I’m not trying to be negative, but advising caution and that you only proceed with full understanding of your coverage. Commercial vs. private pleasure boat insurance?

My first thought was about what OP’s insurance company would think about any arrangement in which money was exchanged.

I’m not trying to be negative, but advising caution and that you only proceed with full understanding of your coverage. Commercial vs. private pleasure boat insurance?

Fine to share expenses. To pay in any other way starts to tread into charter territory.

Wifey B: Just to make sure I've got this. You want free crew and want them to pay? :confused:

That is the "glass half empty" point of view. Suggest you read the post again and give the new comer the benefit of the doubt although..... another thing caught my eye. The OP plans cruising the Pensacola area in January and February. The two coldest months of the year. Egad, it can snow in Pensacola that time of year. Then he plans to follow winter north and cruise the Tennessee River in March. A little more curious than your questioning his motivation of asking for free labor. Kemo Sabe!

27’ too cozy for me.

Thank you MVDarlin, your reply is exactly the arrangement I was hoping to get. Someone to enjoy a cruise, provide company and share the cost while on the water.

MSU 1966
Welcome aboard TF

I find it both interesting and curious that the person likely least interested in this arrangement has had the most to say about it!
I'm guessing the OP used the term "crew" to denote a second person aboard rather than a working arrangement with expected specific duties.
If not interested in such an arrangement why not simply ignore the post instead of being negative over and over... let it go!
For those that offered constructive suggestions I'm sure the OP appreciates it. This exemplifies the TF " be nice" rule.

Last edited:
That is true of so many posts on TF by some.

Turn it into a positive.

"New to trawler life, no experience but looking for it? I'm searching for someone to share the cruising lifestyle with me for two months. This will be great opportunity to learns the in and outs of seamanship, navigation, anchoring techniques, radar and other electronics. We will be sharing expenses. Looking forward to hearing from you."

Hello everyone,
I am new to the board and boating. I would definitely be up for this if it was on the west coast. …would love to get some experience on a boat and don’t mind sharing in the work. I’d be willing to fly to the east coast if the boat was similar to what we are looking at (45-50 ft trawler/long range cruiser). Cheers!

To 'InTheDrink' and others. I have found two folks that have the same goals and ambitions as I. I am looking forward to their companionship, assistance and sharing our skills on my Ranger R27 in January and February along the Gulf Coast/Florida panhandle.

Thanks to all who participated in my inquiry and offered their advice.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom