Underway - Ensenada to San Diego

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Helping a friend move his 1987 Roughwater 37 from Ensenada to San Diego, a 75 nm run. Boat had a bottom done and we splashed this morning. About a 10 hour run ao 10pm arrival or so depending on CBP (US Customs) rodeo

Thought a little eye candy for those in closer climates might be in order.

Peter
20211127_112906.jpg20211127_101853.jpg

Looks like fun, Peter! I hope the winds S of SD are mellow for your day-trip.
Try to get to the customs dock before they go home for the night!

That looks wonderfully warrm!

Nice. Will the entire trip be that close to shore? How close is that?

Nice. Will the entire trip be that close to shore? How close is that?
Just snapped these. 1-1/2 nms from shore. My general daytime strategy on this coast is to set waypoints about 1-1/2 nms from points. So rarely closer than that, often greater as land bends. At night, will drift offshore a few miles. We will hit entrance to San Diego around 9pm so several hours after dark. Right now, we have a little over 0.25 kt of current against.

Peter.
View attachment 123278View attachment 123279
View attachment 123280

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Very cool cruising that close to shore. I guess it’s plenty deep out there.

Edit: just looked at a chart. Over 200’ deep at 1.5 miles offshore? Wow!

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Very cool cruising that close to shore. I guess it’s plenty deep out there.

Edit: just looked at a chart. Over 200’ deep at 1.5 miles offshore? Wow!

The west coast is a whole different ball game regarding water depth. Its not unusual for the water to be hundreds of feet deep within 1/2 mile of shore.

We cruised S Florida and the Bahamas a few seasons back and I couldn’t get used to being miles offshore and still having barely enough water depth to float the boat.

I admit I was way too arrogant before moving to Florida. As many know on this forum, I used to deliver along this coast. Long runs - there are no real stops on today's run of 75 nms.

Then I moved to Florida 15 years ago. Man, was I wrong about thinking Florida waters were docile. Several years ago I was on a friend's boat with open props and transited a stretch of the ICW called "The Miserable Mile." Scared the crap out of me. Also took me a long time to get the hang of ATONs in the ICW.

I guess that's the cool part of boats. Always something to learn.

Coronado Islands off Port side.

20211127_164116.jpg

I admit I was way too arrogant before moving to Florida. As many know on this forum, I used to deliver along this coast. Long runs - there are no real stops on today's run of 75 nms.

Then I moved to Florida 15 years ago. Man, was I wrong about thinking Florida waters were docile. Several years ago I was on a friend's boat with open props and transited a stretch of the ICW called "The Miserable Mile." Scared the crap out of me. Also took me a long time to get the hang of ATONs in the ICW.

I guess that's the cool part of boats. Always something to learn.

Coronado Islands off Port side.

View attachment 123281

I recently went through that miserable mile section on a SUNDAY of all days. It was definitely miserable for me. Too many boats crowded into that narrow channel. The small power boats get so ridiculously close to the bigger, slower boats like me who can’t maneuver quickly at all.

Wifey B: That's why we love cruising different waters. Always new experiences. The two coasts are nothing alike but then cruising the Bahamas vs. the Caribbean is totally different. It's also why you see builders who do better in one country than another. :)

We cleared customs about 30 mins ago. Was done entirely online using CBP ROAM app plus a phone call (confirmation screenshot attsched) Pretty straightforward.

We averaged around 8 kts and the Perkins 6.354 burned around 3 gph. Not a drop of water cam over the bow.

Case closed on this one day Virtual Voyage. Final picture is SD skyline this evening.

Peter Screenshot_20211127-195007_CBP%20ROAM.jpg20211127_171446.jpg
View attachment 123286

Last edited:
I have made that journey more than thirty times on 27’ and 38’ sailboats heading for home after the Newport to Ensenada race. Looks like you had a pleasant ride. We normally returned to San Diego at night; northbound daytime trips can be sloppy in the spring, but nights are typically fairly smooth. One of my favorite passages.

Back
Top Bottom