Old 11-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #55
Scooby5959
Scraping Paint

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Alas, woe is me, I am crushed (insert suitable cries and lamentations) to discover that my boat and it's drive train are totally unsuitable to our intended use of sailing in water deeper than say 10', or (horrors of horrors) perhaps even occasionally out of sight of land!

I didn't realize that whether or not they are still produced is THE litmus test for whether a specific engine was a good engine or not. Here I was thinking we had bought a boat of good design, and with a good engine. I guess I'll have to bow to superior knowledge on engines and especially since our engine was last manufactured in 1994 I mean, it's been DECADES since my engine was last produced . . . so according to the obviously vast experience and knowledge out there, it is obviously only good for . . . what was it you said? Ah, yes, a boat anchor, I believe you said.

Here I am now, a sadly wiser and better educated mariner due to your sage advice.

Looking forward to your next piece of wisdom that I can scribe into stone.

By the way, our 50' Beebe Passagemaker is powered with a Gardner 8LXB, coupled to a Hundested CPP through a reducing gear.

Did anyone notice that I used sentences, punctuation, and even the occasional (wait for it) PARAGRAPH in my above post?
Who am I to disappoint you I stand by my statement about the Ford Lehman ,if my drum winch was larger I might just use one for a boat anchor just for the fun of it .anyways getting past that I don’t know too much about the gardeners what I do know they’re supposed to be a very good engine old school of course slow turning motors accounts for a lot of the longevity, being able to repair one in pieces there’s another big plus ,parts are a rare expensive and hard to find .Detroit Se 71 will probably be a very good engine for your boat you can do all the same things repair individual cylinders, long-lived Great motors parts are everywhere and cheap as far as ccp Systems . Hundested units would be awesome if they didn’t cost tens of thousands of dollars ,I’m looking for something affordable if you happen to know anything about that .even an auto prop supposed to do the same thing is north of 5000 .I quite enjoy your sarcasm My favorite type of humor
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote