Chine Wings, Rolling Chocks, Passive Stabilization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greypearl

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Grey Pearl
Vessel Make
OA 50 Mark 1
Put on a set of "Chine Wings" on the Grey Pearl ( '78 OA 50 Mk 1) this past summer. I didn't think they would work on these shallow hulls but they are a game changer.

@GP, yes this is an important subject. More details and photos please

Once I figure out how to attach pictures I will post. As I already said they are a game changer. It cancels the roll. They are 18" wide at the widest and 25' long. They are filled with water to add inertia down low and to the outside.

Have you taken any roll acceleration and magnitude measurement before and after? An app on your iPhone

No I didn't. I have been on commercial fishing boats my whole life. But she passed the clearing the counters and furniture shift test with flying colours :D

Click on "Go Advanced" below the Quick Reply box. Click on paper clip on first row. Browse your computer to attach and upload then close the small window come back into your Quick Reply and put your cursor where you want your photo... click on the down arrow right of the paper clip

haul out.jpg

Hi GreyPearl!

Look down where you can post a reply
Click "Go Advanced"
Scroll down to "Additional Options"
Click "Manage Attachments"
In the window that will pop up, click "Choose file"
Find the pic(s) you want to upload
Click "Open"
In the popped up window click "Upload"
At the bottom of the "Additional Options" section click "Preview Post" to see if the images are present.
If all is good, click "Submit Reply"
If not, DM me and I will try to help

pic 1 "Port wing in place"

Attachments

• IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 366
pic 2 " close up"

Attachments

• IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 369
pic 3 "Transom"

Attachments

• IMG_1819.jpg
    IMG_1819.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 367
pic 4 " Finished"

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 376
I had Roy Brown from Independant Shipwrights install them. He has done over 400 now and can do them in his sleep. 3 days with two men. It would have taken me a week or two. But he has the wings pre-made and if your good with glassing. It is very doable for a DIY.

They really do help - pic attached.

This topic has been covered here before and there are a lot of ‘haters’. I’m not interested in your opinion. Thanks.

Attachments

• 04069F06-0738-49A8-86B7-5AF368438C42.jpg
    04069F06-0738-49A8-86B7-5AF368438C42.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 82
I hate that my boat rolls and yours doesn’t.
Grrrrr, Mako be angry!

Any cautions for travel lift haulout’s?

No issues other than being aware they are there. Roy has put then on fishing vessels well over 100 tonnes with no problems

I had Roy put them on my boat. I wouldn't say it "cancels" roll, but it does dampen it noticeably. You can haul the boat without any concern at all for the chocks, I've done it several times now.

I attempted to capture before and after roll excursions, rates, and accelerations but it is not easy, because you cannot replicate the conditions. Since there are a lot of sister ships to my boat around, I'm hoping I will find one going my way this next season and I can convince them to do the same test while alongside in the same conditions. I think that will be the only meaningful test.

I did do careful before and after comparisons of fuel burn rate, speed, and maneuverability tests. There was no measurable difference. The one downside I have found (beyond the cost which is quite modest), the chocks expose more wetted surface area to the sun, and they collect algae and weed.

On my particular boat there was another problem: I have an underwater exhaust and the chock trapped the exhaust bubbles, traveling aft and causing a cavitation like vibration. Last summer I cut ports in the starboard side which has completely solved the problem. That problem would be pretty unique to a boat with underwater exhaust.

ZgmL9rj.jpg

Good fix on the exhaust. Yes they do get a bit of algae on the upper side. I'll put up with that : )

I'm curious, how much further does the rub rail protrude than the chine wing?

Ted

Did he install them in Coombs BC?

If I can ask, how much did they cost installed?

The wings are inside the rub guards by a few inches.

I lifted the boat at Stones in Nanaimo. I think they were $8 K CAD.

I have a friend that has Bayliner 4788. They worked great for him. I think Roy has done if I am not mistaken about a dozen on those vessels. The word has spread so much in the last couple years.

I have a friend that has Bayliner 4788. They worked great for him. I think Roy has done if I am not mistaken about a dozen on those vessels. The word has spread so much in the last couple years.

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom