Russian Trawler Update #6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheAtomicDog

Vessel Name
Salty Seagull
Vessel Make
SSP Type 211
Hi all,

If you needed any further motivation to ensure that you have a thorough survey, let me add another object lesson. We got the results of our ultrasound.

We will be replacing the bottom. There are a number of reasons why we couldn't get an ultrasound until now, but I am glad we know and we will be confident when it is replaced. Spendy and very disappointing, though. So spendy. So disappointment.

We should have the work started in January. Waiting for steel. May not be many updates until then.

Attachments

• photo_2021-11-08_17-22-22.jpg
    photo_2021-11-08_17-22-22.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 67
  • photo_2021-11-08_17-22-34.jpg
    photo_2021-11-08_17-22-34.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 59
  • photo_2021-11-08_17-22-47.jpg
    photo_2021-11-08_17-22-47.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 66
  • photo_2021-11-08_17-23-24.jpg
    photo_2021-11-08_17-23-24.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 56
  • photo_2021-11-08_17-23-21.jpg
    photo_2021-11-08_17-23-21.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 63
Yes, there are videos there.

Is all this bottom work going to be worth it to you?

Yes, there are videos there.

Is all this bottom work going to be worth it to you?

Thanks for verifying the youtube is up.

Regarding if it will be worth it; yes, it will be. As I mentioned I got this boat for a song and it is a proven design with good seakeeping, range, etc. This particular boat, the SSP Medium Net Lifter (sic) is interesting to me. The rebottoming is spendy relative to the boat, but not in the grand scheme of things.

Even though this is a setback, it was always a possibility and I was (marginally) prepared for it. The upside is that its a steel boat. She'll be better than when she was first built when all is said and done. I will make the most of this to fix some things I didn't like before. I will also have 100% confidence in the hull, shaft and all through-hull fittings when it's all said and done.

The yard she's in now does a lot of this kind of work (usually on a much larger scale) and I am definitely going to have it professionally done, though I will help where I can and learn what I can. Educational.

It's all good.

Too bad, but you will certainly feel more comfortable going off shore with a sound bottom. Hope it goes well and let us know how it comes out.

2-3 months wait for steel seems unreasonable. Tough smelting iron ore with solar generated electricity?
We produce both coal:eek::eek: and iron ore, it`s mostly exported, from memory we have just 2 steel producers, one(Bluescope) makes steel in USA.

As I remember, the boat sat underwater several years. So maintenance was probably poor. Some steel wastage had to happen. It's not uncommon to replate steel boats and even warships. Too bad you're not a shipfitter or welder. If you had accurate plans, you could have all of the plating precut.
When I was in the USN on a destroyer in drydock, another destroyer shared the drydock. On that ship a worker was chiseling out rusted boiler supports and fell thru the bottom with a section of plate. The shipyard replated about 80 feet of the hull. WWII built ship in 1968.

I did not see any evidence of anodes on the hull. Have you seen any?

2-3 months wait for steel seems unreasonable. Tough smelting iron ore with solar generated electricity?
We produce both coal:eek::eek: and iron ore, it`s mostly exported, from memory we have just 2 steel producers, one(Bluescope) makes steel in USA.

Ah, poor wording on my part. There is plenty of steel, but I have another project going at the moment so I won't be buying the steel until January. I have to buy it all at once, so its a bunch of $ upfront.

As I remember, the boat sat underwater several years. So maintenance was probably poor. Some steel wastage had to happen. It's not uncommon to replate steel boats and even warships. Too bad you're not a shipfitter or welder. If you had accurate plans, you could have all of the plating precut.
When I was in the USN on a destroyer in drydock, another destroyer shared the drydock. On that ship a worker was chiseling out rusted boiler supports and fell thru the bottom with a section of plate. The shipyard replated about 80 feet of the hull. WWII built ship in 1968.

Yes. When I was shopping for boats I saw that any boat older than 10 years usually included the date when it had it's bottom replaced or inspected. I knew this boat was hauled in 2018 and mistakenly thought he had addressed this. He did...with bondo, lol. Anyway, replacing the bottom is a standard procedure here and I now have connections at a decent shipyard.

I actually became a certified welder here in Russia. Stick, MiG and TiG. But this is beyond my meager skill and experience

I did not see any evidence of anodes on the hull. Have you seen any?

Yes, there are two amidship either side and two at the rudder either side. They are in reasonable shape, but will replace them.

Usually the cheapest boat is the most expensive. Best of luck, it will be your boat when finished!

Usually the cheapest boat is the most expensive. Best of luck, it will be your boat when finished!

OP said..."As I mentioned I got this boat for a song"

I admire his attitude.

Watched the videos. This is going to be an interesting repair

Hey guys, I am experimenting here. Please take a look and let me know if this is something you want more of...Thanks!

I wondered what happened to you.
Nice overhead shot.
Interior all finished? LOL
You are going to the yard to do what?
Happy Thansgiving. Stay warm and healthy

Yes indeed. More please. Maybe the angles, but her beam appears relatively narrow…?

I wondered what happened to you.
Nice overhead shot.
Interior all finished? LOL
You are going to the yard to do what?
Happy Thansgiving. Stay warm and healthy

Hey Dan!

Glad to hear from you! Hope all is well.

It seems you missed an update. I have to replace her bottom. She'll be fresh as a daisy soon. It's a big reset for the interior, though. It's a race to get everything done by spring so I can actually get a move on.

Yes indeed. More please. Maybe the angles, but her beam appears relatively narrow…?

Thanks! I will She's 15M x 3.75. Not sure if that is narrow or not. Probably more narrow than most purpose built pleasure boats, I would guess?

Greetings,
Mr. TAD. Absolutely! More please. Videos are so much more interesting than still shots, to me at least. Thanks

You piqued my curiosity, so I did a bit of googling.

According to what I found, 3:1 is generally considered ideal in most boats, especially displacement trawlers.

She's exactly 4:1. A bit more on the sailboat side of the ratio; this allows her to be more efficient, it seems. I did read that when you exceed 3:1 you need to increase deadrise in the bow. She has plenty of that.

If anyone here has more insight into the real affects of Length to Beam ratio, I would love to get your opinion.

Deeper in that rabbit-hole there was a lot of math and the concept of Displacement Length Ratio (DLR). I would love to know more but understanding it won't change anything.

Thanks!

Hi Atomic Dog - my trawler’s ratio is approx 2.9:1. I was just a little surprised by the video and the apparently narrower beam than I’ve seen on working trawlers - which usually have wide working decks and hatches down to the holds. This was certainly the case on the oceanic trawlers I have been on in the southern ocean and the sports fish boats (I know they are very different animals) I skippered in the Caribbean a long time ago. I guess much depends on the draft, the ballast - presumably ice and then fish, and the hull design. Obviously what you have works for your boat given that she (presumably) spent her life as a fishing trawler……

Hey guys, I am experimenting here. Please take a look and let me know if this is something you want more of...Thanks!

Now THAT'S the way to do it! Thanks.

I’ve been welding most of my life now that you own a steel boat you’re going to be a welder to .I see grinding and possibly sandblasting in your future as well

Hi Atomic Dog - my trawler’s ratio is approx 2.9:1. I was just a little surprised by the video and the apparently narrower beam than I’ve seen on working trawlers - which usually have wide working decks and hatches down to the holds. This was certainly the case on the oceanic trawlers I have been on in the southern ocean and the sports fish boats (I know they are very different animals) I skippered in the Caribbean a long time ago. I guess much depends on the draft, the ballast - presumably ice and then fish, and the hull design. Obviously what you have works for your boat given that she (presumably) spent her life as a fishing trawler……

Hi Bluewater - Yes, she was a fishing trawler for most of her life. Here is a pic of one of the type in standard configuration. Ours has been significantly modified forward of the pilot house.

I am not sure why so narrow. As you mentioned, maybe its an environmental consideration? Ice? Conditions in the Baltic and North Sea? It's a lot of Herring and Salmon around here.

Anyway, it's great to learn more, both about the characteristics of this boat but also commercial fishing and boats in general.

Attachments

• sspFish.jpg
    sspFish.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I’ve been welding most of my life now that you own a steel boat you’re going to be a welder to .I see grinding and possibly sandblasting in your future as well

It has already begun :)

Attachments

• image_72192707.JPG
    image_72192707.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom