Higher performance RIB dinghy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Highfield publishes a PDF with the specs, and they're more detailed than most vendors offer. https://www.highfieldboats.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/CL340-GA.pdf

Their docs indicate 13'3" for the CL360 and 12'8" for the CL340. I read 13'1" when it was on the showroom floor, but I'm not going to quibble over the difference. My quick check on the platform said keep it under 13'6" and it is.

The whole platform on our EB47 is a TNT lift, so I really can't use it for any sort of docking maneuvers lest I risk bending the hydraulics (or so I've been warned). It's not "that" delicate but I'd prefer to avoid pushing the limits, so I treat it like I "can't" use it for maneuvering.

My concern on length was not having any parts sticking out in a way that'd catch during docking, or be in any direct wash when underway on plane, which I'd think would be true for most installs on a platform.

The real challenge is available inventory. Don't dawdle if you want one any time soon.

Highfield publishes a PDF with the specs, and they're more detailed than most vendors offer.

Their docs indicate 13'3" for the CL360 and 12'8" for the CL340.

My concern on length was not having any parts sticking out in a way that'd catch during docking, or be in any direct wash when underway on plane, which I'd think would be true for most installs on a platform.

The real challenge is available inventory. Don't dawdle if you want one any time soon.

Thanks for that ref; hadn't noticed that on their site and it's very useful to see the specs with the engine shaft figured in. Might be the 340 is too large... Or maybe carrying the outboard with the shaft not rotated so far up, perhaps rested on the platform, could buy enough extra inches.

My platform is also a lift, GHS, and ideally, I don't part parts sticking out either.

-Chris

Last edited:
I don't remember if Annapolis Inflatables had a CL340 on the floor or not. They did have a CL360, and that's how I measured mine. If they do and you're in the area it might be worth dropping by and giving it a quick check. My measurement wasn't precise as I just eyeballed it with a tape measure along the gunwale. I just wanted to make sure it didn't exceed 13'6". But if you drop a line from the bow and the prop and measure on the floor the measurement would be more exact. Jessie is the guy to talk to over there. 410-800-4443

I don't remember if Annapolis Inflatables had a CL340 on the floor or not. They did have a CL360, and that's how I measured mine. If they do and you're in the area it might be worth dropping by and giving it a quick check. My measurement wasn't precise as I just eyeballed it with a tape measure along the gunwale. I just wanted to make sure it didn't exceed 13'6". But if you drop a line from the bow and the prop and measure on the floor the measurement would be more exact. Jessie is the guy to talk to over there. 410-800-4443

Yep, I'm in touch with Jesse, just haven't been able to schedule time to go browse.

Thanks, again.

Cheers, -Chris

Congrats on your new RIB!

Same exact RIB we got from Jessie, but our 30 is white.
How long did the purchase take from order to delivery?

Congrats on your new RIB!

Same exact RIB we got from Jessie, but our 30 is white.
How long did the purchase take from order to delivery?

Thanks. I talked to Jesse at the Annapolis boat shows and followed up about a week later at the store. I lucked into them having the dinghy and the helm in stock. I wasn't rushed to make it happen, so I said mid-November (about a month). I lucked into a *perfect* day for it.

Funny, we went to Nautical Ventures yesterday and looked at toys including dinghies. They've sold a lot of Highfield's, were early in doing so. Looked nice to us. Unfortunately, they seem to have little brand loyalty. While they do have Highfield and AB they had lots of 6 other brands that I'd never heard of.

While weight doesn't work for the OP, one of the advantages of jets is no outboard to add length, but very pleased that Highfield has the drawings with the outboards. Does no good when putting on transom lift if you don't know the full length.

I'll add too that while I considered Novurania the Cadillac of RIB's, they have so botched their dealer network that I'm not at all surprised people turning elsewhere, between that and their pricing. AB and Highfield have certainly stepped in to take over the majority of the market.

We did not escape yesterday unscathed. The lure of toys from bicycles to paddleboards to kayaks was still there.

Funny, we went to Nautical Ventures yesterday and looked at toys including dinghies. They've sold a lot of Highfield's, were early in doing so. Looked nice to us. Unfortunately, they seem to have little brand loyalty. While they do have Highfield and AB they had lots of 6 other brands that I'd never heard of.

While weight doesn't work for the OP, one of the advantages of jets is no outboard to add length, but very pleased that Highfield has the drawings with the outboards. Does no good when putting on transom lift if you don't know the full length.

I'll add too that while I considered Novurania the Cadillac of RIB's, they have so botched their dealer network that I'm not at all surprised people turning elsewhere, between that and their pricing. AB and Highfield have certainly stepped in to take over the majority of the market.

We did not escape yesterday unscathed. The lure of toys from bicycles to paddleboards to kayaks was still there.

I’m using a 13’6” Novurania with a 40hp outboard.

But for the ultimate, here’s a nice way to store your tenders…

Attachments

• 1D1C9BE4-58B5-48EA-B8D4-69D9D05E0305.jpg
    1D1C9BE4-58B5-48EA-B8D4-69D9D05E0305.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 93DF45C1-BBAB-4192-B2C3-AE710CABF882.jpg
    93DF45C1-BBAB-4192-B2C3-AE710CABF882.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 15
Ok, of the many choices to consider, there's not a ton of available inventory. I'd been leaning toward a Highfield CL340 but they're largely sold out anywhere that'd be convenient. I did manage to find a CL360, and plan to put a 30hp on it. It'll be around 12'4' bow to raised outboard prop, so it'll still fit effectively on our swim platform. Weight will be well under the 700# rated for the lift. Hopefully delivered mid-November, just in time to sit around all winter!

You want higher performance ditch the tube boat as the TE is rounded on most models. So both tubes suck the stern down and cause mega drag. The curved sides also cause drag …. and a wet little boat.

Get a hard-shell dinghy. 10-11’ aluminum works well. Six hp will plane it probably w two peeps on board in the right place. Much more space inside.

Planing wings on the outboard help immensely. It turns a moon shot to a level ride on inflatables, even ribs

To follow up on this, I got the Highfield CL360 with the FCT side helm (wheel/bench assembly) and a Tohatsu 30hp outboard. Weight comes in just over 500, and attitude underway didn't seem to be much different than with the previous dinghy.

I also picked up a Carver 13' cover for it, which I posted about here: https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s20/making-cover-60686-2.html#post1058242

Attachments

• 20211118_135258.jpg
    20211118_135258.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 21
I have a 13ft whaler and a 13 ft mercury rib both have 25 hp Etec engines. Top speed in salt water is 24 to 25 knots (gps) speeds. Both weigh less than 600lbs. The rib rides better in chop conditions. I towed the rib with the whaler about 7 miles to put on a trailer. The motor on the whaler pulled the rib easily at 16 knots with a top of 20 knots with one person in the whaler (gps speeds). Towing inner tubes or double skiing would be easy. An example of what 25hp can accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom