Liveaboard Life in Alaska - views from the boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had been in contact with the owner of a Willard 40 that is currently for sale in San Marcos, Mexico. He provided a lot of interesting details on wintering (boating) in the Sea of Cortez region. My main concern is the “instability” of the country. He has been wintering there for like 14 years IIRC. But things have changed of late.

We decided to hold off for various reasons but the thought of wintering there and then coming back to the PNW is probably the most realistic option for us, should we go full time live-aboard. We have family here (WA State) and my son, DIL and g-kids in north Idaho.

I am not so worried about the instability of Mexico.

Yes different part of the country suffer from violence, or other challenges, but so does any country.

My thoughts are to avoid activities and locations that would put one in harms way.

I for example would not go walking the streets of some areas of any major city in America at night, and Mexico is no different.

We Americans seem to think that other places are risky, while we put blinders on to the issues in our own country.

Climate and life....

Wifey B: It's always an interesting subject. Some people are glad being largely confined to their homes for months of the year. Others fine with bundling and driving. There's a reason Mall of the Americas was built to give Minnesotans a place to spend days in winter. :D

We lived in NC and were happy there. We both worked and accepted only getting on the water an average of three days in January, while most boaters didn't get out at all. Life was good. :)

Then we took our first real out of town vacation and flew into Fort Lauderdale, then Disneyworld and Tampa-St Pete and back to Fort Lauderdale and while on the trip decided to retire and move to Fort Lauderdale. Now, I can't imagine not being able to boat year round. I can't imagine not being able to step outside wearing summer clothes 95% of the time. I can't imagine not being able to swim year round. :eek:

NC was easy at the time, but would be so tough returning to and it's not even cold compared to the places discussed. The outdoors is the difference. :)

I'd say to anyone that finding locations where you are comfortable being active outdoors is the key. We moved in 2012 and I feel as young as I did then. I'm easily active. So few days I can't enjoy outdoors. Where we've really seen it is in our neighbors from NC who we talked into moving with us. They are now 66 and 64 years old and in every way they are younger than they were when they moved at 57 and 55. They do not boat. They love to garden though and thanks to them we have the most beautiful, even if small, yard. They even manage the one small little triangle of land the HOA owns. They walk daily and know all the neighborhood, all the people we really don't know. They drink their morning coffee outside on the patio. Now, other things in their lives have changed, but just seeing the couple today and thinking of the one we knew 9 years ago is stunning. It's like being opened to the outdoors opens your life up in every way. When we and others are home, they might spend their evening on the patio sipping coffee and just enjoying all the laughter and fun the rest of us are having in the pool. ;)

In NC in the winter, their driving was to work or to stores where they needed something. Here it may be to an open market or craft show or to a flower and garden show or even a nursery they like. It's mostly outdoor pleasure, not indoors. :)

We've traveled a lot by boat. I loved Alaska but it was summer. Loved Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, but it was summer. Had I always lived in any of those places, I'd be happy, but today I'd be miserable. Seasonal Affective Disorder is real. People who move to new areas are most prone to experience it. There are three causes. Circadian rhythm, Serotonin levels, and Melatonin levels. You may have experienced it living in wintry areas but just accepted and not realized the impact. :eek:

I joke about bikini weather and my desire for shedding clothes, but I do know I feel freer not having to wear layers and layers of clothing, not wearing heavy coats and caps and scarves. It's like when a man removes his tie and unbuttons his shirt or a woman removes her bra when she gets home from work. My hubby may hate bundling up more than I do and he put words to it, calling it "restrictive" and even almost "claustrophobic" as you just don't have the same freedom of movement. You can't go running across the yard wearing winter boots. :nonono:

Now warm and humid isn't right for everyone either although South Florida not nearly as hot as some think. You need to find what works for you and if you're fortunate enough to be able to seasonally change then do so. I'm fully convinced that it will lengthen your life to be in climates that allow you to enjoy the outdoors. However, I know 100% it will increase the quality of your life. :D

I'll have to make sure I get down to the docks to meet you before you leave. My boat is still sitting up at Exit Marine on Alameda waiting for engine work from the guys at SHIP.

I'll have to make sure I get down to the docks to meet you before you leave. My boat is still sitting up at Exit Marine on Alameda waiting for engine work from the guys at SHIP.

I am sitting on my boat on F float right now.

I can almost see the boats over at Alameda yard right now.

Actually I was on the hard in the main Exit yard just two or three weeks ago getting bottom paint done so I do not have to wait in the spring. :)

Stop by anytime :)

I might drive down on Thursday to do some work on mine. If I do, I'll stroll down there.

The idea of snow birding on your boat, or reverse snow birding is a good plan.

Winter where it is warm, and summer in the PACNW where the cruising is good and the weather is nice but not too hot.
We are heading to Texas for a few weeks, then Anchorage to visit grand babies. Then it's first week of January. Boat show, new generator and start fixing stuff for Alaska 2022.

I've been reading this thread with great interest. 62 years old, retired 2020, lived in Tucson, AZ for 21 years, previous 36' sailboat owner (2007-2018) in San Diego. Since retiring, I have found summers in Tucson unbearable. Global warming is real, and Tucson is getting hotter.
Plan is to build a Nordhavn 475 and move to the Puget Sound...cruise the PNW for a few years until we feel the urge to move (or perhaps the cold will drive us south). Would like to shed all land based property that requires maintenance or drains funds.
Are the PNW winters really that bad? Will diesel heaters keep us warm and dry? Does not marina life entail enough outdoor activity? Is it so very difficult to move the boat to Mexico for the winter?
Advice and realistic picture appreciated.

Tushar

I've been reading this thread with great interest. 62 years old, retired 2020, lived in Tucson, AZ for 21 years, previous 36' sailboat owner (2007-2018) in San Diego. Since retiring, I have found summers in Tucson unbearable. Global warming is real, and Tucson is getting hotter.
Plan is to build a Nordhavn 475 and move to the Puget Sound...cruise the PNW for a few years until we feel the urge to move (or perhaps the cold will drive us south). Would like to shed all land based property that requires maintenance or drains funds.
Are the PNW winters really that bad? Will diesel heaters keep us warm and dry? Does not marina life entail enough outdoor activity? Is it so very difficult to move the boat to Mexico for the winter?
Advice and realistic picture appreciated.

Tushar

You have to decide for yourself. You have five months in which the average highs are in the 40's and 50'. Very little freezing. Night perhaps but warms back up to 40's and 50's during the day. Diesel heaters can keep you warm. Dry perhaps also simply as they heat things and pull the humidity down.

Coming from Tucson a huge change. Where else have you lived? If you were coming from Minnesota, the winter would seem balmy. From South Florida like your worst nightmare. Our winters in NC were mixed, although not that cold, but we'd find it hard to return to those now, after living 9 years in South Florida. We loved the PNW when visiting there but we were mostly in the warmer seasons although did enjoy a surprise snow and a great snowball fight with two teens in Seattle when we were out for a walk. Their mom was horrified at first that they were throwing snowballs at strangers but when she realized how much fun we were having she made hot chocolate for us all and invited us in.

Yes, moving anywhere away from Tucson is going to be a big change. We like our dry heat up to 95F. I grew up on the Texas gulf coast, have lived 3 years in D.C., six years in Chicago and 21 years in Tucson. Visited Dana Point, CA 3 days back and I recalled the cool moist mornings and nights we experienced when boating in San Diego. We are ready for a change.
Thanks again.
Tushar

We lived in Tucson for 30 years. Loved it for the first 27 or so, but the last few years became unbearable. And it is getting worse with the extreme heat. We moved back to Michigan and now live on the water and love it. Yes, the winters can be bad but it is a nice change of pace. The PNW winters are not too bad. Our first winter back in Michigan we had -10 to -12 for over a week. But the last few winters have been much more mild. We loved living in Tucson but never again. Good luck.

Yes you can move your boat between the PACNW and Mexico, plenty of folks do it every year. Some estimates I have read report the number to be upwards of 2,000 recreational boats entering Mexico on the pacific side every fall.

As far as what weather is tolerable, that is 100% subjective.

Right now it's -18F at my old house in Alaska and +10F at my boat in Seward Alaska. To me right now, 40's and 50's with a few 30's thrown in sure sounds nice.

But then again, since my home is mobile why even "tolerate" that? I like warm weather, and the ability to not wear a jacket, so why not migrate?

The high tomorrow in San Diego is going to be 65 and it will be 86 in La Paz. Both of those temperatures sound a lot funner than the PACNW normals for winter and a world of difference than winter in Alaska.

This is my last winter being stuck inside for 6 months due to the cold and when it's warmer the constant rain. Life is just too short to live it dreaming for 6 months out of the year about how nice it will be the other 6 months.

Last edited:
This is my last winter being stuck inside for 6 months due to the cold and when it's warmer the constant rain. Life is just too short to live it dreaming for 6 months out of the year about how nice it will be the other 6 months.

When you're working full time, then being stuck inside doesn't get to you as much. I didn't mind bad weather when I couldn't get outside anyway. However, retired, I want as many nice leisure days as possible.

We boated every possible weekend in NC. Even in the 40's. We averaged 3 days per month in November through February, even with holidays. Had we not worked we likely would have averaged 6 days a month those months. Now we average 20-22 days a month those same months in 70+ degrees. If we worked full time would likely be 8 or so per month. You don't really realize what you're missing as you're conditioned to a certain lifestyle.

It’s not the cold that gets you. It’s the rain. You need to go grocery shopping? Just the walk to the car will make you damp and cold. An umbrella will only keep you half dry. This is why the PNW is such a snowbird destination.

It’s absolutely horrible in the Pacific North West much nicer down south warm weather palm trees women in bikinis ,horrible in the Pacific Northwest. I would suggest not coming here and if you live here go down to Florida and don’t come back.Tell everybody how bad the weather is and how much it rains please

It’s absolutely horrible in the Pacific North West much nicer down south warm weather palm trees women in bikinis ,horrible in the Pacific Northwest. I would suggest not coming here and if you live here go down to Florida and don’t come back.Tell everybody how bad the weather is and how much it rains please
Absolutely, completely sucks. Don't know why I'm here. LOL

The high tomorrow in San Diego is going to be 65 and it will be 86 in La Paz. Both of those temperatures sound a lot funner than the PACNW normals for winter and a world of difference than winter in Alaska.

We're in San Diego now. It was in the 80s last week and we were swimming at Catalina. The last rain was weeks ago when we were in San Francisco and we haven't missed the rain one bit!

Kevin,

I know it’s hard to leave having been somewhere in Alaska all but one year since 1975. After selling our house of 30 years in Anchorage in 2018, we bought a house in southern Idaho where we can see snow, but have sun a lot of the time. Our boat stays in Wrangell, where there are a surprising number of people from south central as well as the western US. For most of the people in Alaska, Southeast is the flyover area. I’m glad during 46 years I have been to places like Attu, St Paul, Kaktovik, Nome, Kotzebue, Utiagvik, Bethel, King Salmon, Kodiak, and all over Southeast. I can’t think of a place I didn’t like or wouldn’t live except maybe Juneau. We only go to Juneau to hit Costco. The people in that town don’t understand what the rest of the state has to deal with everyday.

Tom

I have lived most of my life in New Mexico, and I also am less keen on the hotter and drier climate being experienced in the southwestern United States.

If you see things from that perspective, then you will find PNW winters mostly a delight - as I have for the last few years. The location where you plan to winter is important. Find yourself moorage in the famous rain shadow of the Olympics, and enjoy a moist and mostly moderate climate - it’s not too wet and it’s not too cold; it’s just right. (Except, that is, if you like long spells of sunny days.) After my first winter on sunny Orcas Island, I became convinced that the year round climate in the San Juans is one of America’s great climate secrets. Same with Sidney, BC, and I’m sure other places in that rain shadow.

Wait , you lived in Anchorage for thirty years but you think the residents of JUNEAU don’t understand the rest of the state? Lol. :)

Last edited:
Retirement is good

Raised in Hawaii...paradise for weather Barr none. Careers in the PNW all the way north on the water. While we were working it was great. However, while not working...to restrictive weather wise. I was raised in shorts and bare feet and I will die in shorts and bare feet. Bought our Livaboard boat and a dock to put it on. We spend April-September boating the inside passage...rehydrating. Then head 20 miles south of Tucson for blue skies sunshine for an outdoor winter...where we dehydrate. One of many ways to play the weather during our retirement years. Of course trips home to Hawaii for sand and surf are necessary annually. Life is to short for restrictive weather...find your sweet spots and and all will be good

What I’ve learned about myself is most of the year in the mountains or PNW and a few weeks in the desert or Hawaii to thaw and dry are much preferable to vice versa. If anything the last eighteen months hiding out <- have been a stark reminder of what I already knew. Hope to rectify that soon and maybe pass Kevin somewhere east of Vancouver Island going the other way.

Someone said, "I don't want to live anywhere that the average temperature is less than my age."
With the 'global warming', that 'anywhere' seems to be or should be getting larger and larger. :D

it was -24F at my old home in Big Lake Alaska two mornings ago.

Here in Alaska we spend 6 months dreaming of what we want to do the other 6 months.

I have said it again...

Life is just too short to only get to live it 6 months out of a year.

My late mother claimed to be "the woman who ruined Seattle". We lived there in 1946-7, then moved to Los Angeles where she proceeded to tell everyone she met how wonderful the Pacific Northwest is.

...the rest is history

That’s funny. You still have the boat?

No. Deal closed last month. Apparently moving to Juneau in the spring. Boat, that is, not me.:blush:

It has crossed my mind to fly to Juneau and pirate that boat away. Walk out onto the dock, wave at dock neighbors, act like we own it, "Hey, how you doing, yeah, just taking it for a quick spin...through the Panama Canal and up the Mississippi and Missouri..."

Wait , you lived in Anchorage for thirty years but you think the residents of JUNEAU don’t understand the rest of the state? Lol. :)

What is wrong with Juneau? I plan to visit there next summer among other places. Not spending more than a day or 2 there, but still interested in any local feedback.

My late mother claimed to be "the woman who ruined Seattle". We lived there in 1946-7, then moved to Los Angeles where she proceeded to tell everyone she met how wonderful the Pacific Northwest is.

...the rest is history
I grew up in a small fishing village in Rhode Island. It was quiet with only those that lived or worked there coming around. Back in the late 70's the major newspaper of RI ran a front page article on their Sunday insert about human interest. It was headlined, "The best kept secret in Rhode Island". I thought "we're screwed". As you point out, the rest was history. It is now a thronging congested tourist trap with every out of state a**hole in the world (well at least from New York & Connecticut) over running the place. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom