A Flybridge steeler for Eric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. Very interesting. I would have two questions though:
One trivial; what's with the rope lights in the enginebay?
And another deadly serious; I would have to know who designed the bow bulb. At that waterline length, it can be a pitchpoling killer in following seas, even if it was properly designed, and this one looks too big and without any shape - as if it was no more than a piece of pipe. I considered it and discussed it while my designer Charles Wittholz was alive and got scared right away from it. It works better and is much safer on boats with a 60' waterline and up....

(Just my opinion, do not mean to start anything up around bulbous bows....) :)

what's with the rope lights in the enginebay? [/QUOTE]

Pretty sad when the ER is your party central headquarters. I'd take the light string out. That's just got to go. The admiral isn't going to want to sit out back under the dink either. She wants a covered aft deck, but that's not in her plans.

And so it will be at $130K, LOL should be around 75K and maybe they'd get some bites..... :rolleyes:

Really? Hmmm. I thought for a semi-custom yacht with some real Passagemaker spec's, it was a decent price. If it were 75K, I'd probably ignore it. Live and learn, they say.

Wow, that was tough just to scroll though all those pictures. I like the fuel burn, but for the money I would think you would see a lot more shiny. What does the bulb on the bow do? It looks like some 10" pipe.

4400 mile range, bulbous bow, John Deere power, might even get an invitation to a Willard reunion, priced right.

1966 Sutton 44 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks for the link. That Jolie is a real nice looking and designed craft. I’ll be pleased to hear from Eric and others regarding their take on that boat... also, on input they may provide about what I herein mention in regard to the quoted bold portion from the listing:

I’ve heard that bulbous under water line (UWL) bow protrusions are not worth their salt on this size boat... i.e. no real efficiency increase and that they can cause handling trouble in certain sea conditions as well as problems during tight-area marina maneuvers. Check out UWL bulbous bow addition in frames (pictures) #’s 33 and 34 as compared to #’s 4 and 5. Also on frame # 3 the sketch-plan shows no UWL bow addition. Easy to see the difference in UWL addition’s size by position of thrust hole in relation to the bulbous addition... my guess is that the bow addition in frames 33 and 34 was considered too small (probably did not give desired effect) – and – in frames 4 and 5 they had added girth and length to the bulbous protrusion which brought it’s feathered rear portion back further toward the thrust hole. I wonder if being bigger the bulbous addition brings good results??

Note: At bottom of accoutrement list on Yachtworld front page the following is listed... Bulb Bow-reduces pitching underway-increases waterline length, predisposes bow wave and is most effective at sl 1.1-1.2,

]I’ve heard that bulbous under water line (UWL) bow protrusions are not worth their salt on this size boat...

Probably true, but they certainly are intimidating when they are following too close behind or when the traffic is jammed up while waiting for a bridge opening.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom