ASD's new Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Just ordered a new NL 9kw genny. Now the long wait.

My genny is in the cockpit, so easy install, I hope. Will keep every on updated as the process proceeds. We will be changing the exhaust outlet. More to come.

The old, 31 year 8 kw Onan IMG_2219.jpgIMG_2217.jpg

I have that same generator and love it!

You will be hard pressed to even know it's running!

Will post progress. Right now it's hurry up and wait.

Does a lot of other stuff have to be removed to get the old gen out? It looks tight in the pictures.

Does a lot of other stuff have to be removed to get the old gen out? It looks tight in the pictures.
Not really. The installer believes he can get the old one out without cutting the doors cross member out. He told me the 9kw NL is actually smaller than the Onan.

He will be installing a new exhaust outlet as stand alone out the stern. Currently the exhaust is plumbed through the port engine exhaust. This could be the cause of the hydraulicing issue I had.

He will also modify the raw water Inlet by installing a loop (?).

He will also be installing a remote panel in the lower Helm area.

With my Kohler (also in the cockpit) there is nothing to remove unless you cut the deck out. There are two hatches and neither are large enough to get the generator out in one piece.

You simply have to disassemble the generator in order to remove it....part by part.

With my Kohler (also in the cockpit) there is nothing to remove unless you cut the deck out. There are two hatches and neither are large enough to get the generator out in one piece.

You simply have to disassemble the generator in order to remove it....part by part.
I hope not!!

My new generator arrived!!! Well not yet!!

Genny (NL) on order and hurry up and wait. Expected delivery in February. FB_IMG_1640721272105.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with the delivery date. We ordered a home backup generator and they are guessing 6 months for delivery.

Now is the opportune time to install secondary isolators, especially as you will be sitting just above the unit.
Maybe consider a gas water separator as well in the exhaust run

Your installer may tell you "the unit is quiet, you don't need those." These 2 treatments will make quiet quieter.

From a Ft Lauderdale Boat Show

:socool:

Attachments

• Northern-Lights-Gensets-Marine-Generators-Lauderdale-2016.jpg
    Northern-Lights-Gensets-Marine-Generators-Lauderdale-2016.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 510
Now is the opportune time to install secondary isolators, especially as you will be sitting just above the unit.

Maybe consider a gas water separator as well in the exhaust run

Your installer may tell you "the unit is quiet, you don't need those." These 2 treatments will make quiet quieter.

From a Ft Lauderdale Boat Show

:socool:
Thank you

It might work to copy what the "fisheries " (gov fish counters do) . They worry the engine and genset put enough noise in the water that the fish count will be off.

They mount the diesels on a frame and use softer than std motor mounts , then the mount the frame in the vessel on also on compliant motor mounts.

Big PIA on hookup of cooling , fuel, hyd with so much flexing , but its supposed to be REALLY quiet.

Might not be too hard to copy with a small gen set ??

Last edited:
It might work to copy what the "fisheries " (gov fish counters do) . They worry the engine and genset put enough noise in the water that the fish count will be off.

They mount the diesels on a frame and use softer than std motor mounts , then the mount the frame in the vessel on also on compliant motor mounts.

Big PIA on hookup of cooling , fuel, hyd with so much flexing , but its supposed to be REALLY quiet.

Might not be too hard to copy with a small gen set ??

This is what Keys is saying to do, with the secondary isolators below a standard frame-mounted genset. Pretty common in newer yachts that have the space. Adds another couple inches to the install height, typically.

We installed two 9kW NLs in Fintry in 2005 as part of the refit. We changed out one of them for a 12kW NL when we added the gyro in 2019. The nines have/had around 2,000 hours each, with no problems except that the factory converted them from 12VDC to 24VDC and forgot to change the fuel solenoids. They lasted 300-400 hours before burning out. It wasn't until the second one failed that I realized what the problem had been.

Our new boat, Morning Light, has a NL 8kW and a Lugger/John Deere main. And the Swan 57 on which we circumnavigated had a 5kW NL. Highly recommended.

I would not bother with the elaborate double isolated system described above. In my experience the NL sound shield mounts do a fine job. Noise comes from the exhaust water hitting the sea and the air intake. The intake is baffled, of course, but you can't really baffle it enough to stop all noise getting out without constricting the airflow to the diesel.

Jim

I put the 9kw in 2 years ago replacing a Onan. I knew it was going to be quieter but decided to put the additional isolators in. Why not for the minimal expense.

I have a NL 9kw probably the same model ASD is getting.

That generators enclosure is designed to be mounted on a flat surface. The challenge is that flat surface is at least in my boat in the lazarette. Any water that makes its way through the Lazarette hatches finds itself collecting on the deck of the lazarette.

Any leaks you might get in any system like watermakers, pumps, etc... end up collecting on the deck of the lazarette. We all know leaks happen. Maintenance of things happens, and water does escape.

This creates a situation where the bottom of the enclosure can rust. Yes t is powder coated, Yes it will rust anyway.

If I EVER have to pull the generator I promise it will be raised a bit. It doers not have to be a lot, but it will be raised.

How to do this I do not know. Perhaps simply building up the deck with some G10 or even ground contact rated plywood. Perhaps something as simple as a piece of plywood sealed with something like Westsystems resin.

As far as noise I can hardly hear the generator running. The watermaker high pressure pump is much louder, and I just have a water lift muffler.

Absolutely love NL gensets. Easy to work on, good documentation, excellent service and they actually answer the phone and walk you through any issues. Think you made an excellent choice ASD. Pay attention when changing or draining the salt water impeller. Those bolts on the cover are tiny. Buy extras. After losing one into the bilge on the first time I changed it took damp paper towels and placed them in a plastic shallow bowl placed just under the cover. Never lost another but was happy to have extras. Didn’t bother with a sound enclosure. Genset was in the workroom. Not enough noise escaped to justify the enclosure and think it stayed cooler.

Last edited:
Tom, you've been on board Beachcomber so you know how quiet the 15KW Westerbeke was. That was due mostly to having an exhaust water separator that shot the water out beneath the boat so no gurgling sounds from the genset. All you heard was a quiet hum from the exhaust.

Current Update

Hurry up and wait.

Delivery expected end of February. :confused::banghead:

Talked to the NL folks in Seattle. The genny is waiting to be unloaded from a container ship. Estimated delivery is February 8th. So far.....

Getting excited!!!

What does a new 9kw version cost?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom