Accidental Liveaboard in Annapolis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pretty_Saro87

Vessel Make
Carver 310 Santego
Good morning from slightly chilly but beautiful Annapolis!

Life circumstances, a bad breakup and flight from a home I didn’t own have necessitated a move onboard my Carver 310 Santego. I know, not a trawler by any stretch. But I’ve got my eye on something else for the spring. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I found this forum while researching the vessel I have my eye on. A guy who owns the only other one I’ve found on the internet is a senior member here but hasn’t been online since 2016. Mostly here for the liveaboard tips.

If anyone else knows of any Monark 58s out there, holler at your girl.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Stay warm.

iu

Welcome aboard and best of luck in making the best of an unplanned situation. If you have not done so already, try and find other liveaboards in your marina/dock to pick their brains about logistics of your site. Some marinas do have some frost free spigots that you can stretch a hose to and refill your water tanks periodically, others may have a cart and others offer nothing. Similar considerations for pump-outs should be looked into.

Insulated panels fitted to the inside of windows can be a game changer in terms of keeping warm, they can be made pretty easily and reasonably.

Welcome aboard. We don’t own a trawler anymore but still love TF.

Wlcome and best of luck! I lived aboard in PAX river for two years. Don’t have any info on that boat but I do encourage you to identify and get to know fellow liveaboarders near you, they can be an invaluable resource. Other advice I give is to never “look like a liveaboarder.” Once the marina sees you’re not an eyesore or liability they are usually much more helpful and cooperative. It can be a great experience or it can be misery, the choice is entirely yours. I can say that would totally do it again in a heartbeat. ?

We are spending another winter here in Maryland, the fourth out of the last five years. This is the first winter at Piney Narrows Yacht Haven on Kent Island. Previous years were spent at Hartge's in Galesville. As another mentioned, water will be a problem. At Hartge's we had to run 300 feet of hose to fill our tanks. Much easier here with a frost-free spigot nearby. As important is heat. What is your plan? Resistive heat (oil-filled radiators, ceramic block heaters) cost a lot to run. They generally consume 1,500 watts. On 24 hours, that amounts to 36 kilowatt-hours. At 15 cents per, that amounts to $5.40/day/heater if run on the high setting. One very cold January our metered bill was over $600. Our reverse cycle heat could not be used as the water temp had dropped too low. Then there is the issue of your holding tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom