Snowbird from MI looking for a crew Jan-March

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msu1966

Vessel Name
Marooned
Vessel Make
Ranger Tug R-27
I have a Ranger Tug 27 and planning a cruise in the Pensacola, FL area Jan. & Feb. then trailering to the Tennessee River in March. Would like to have one crew person join me to share expenses.

If you or someone you know is interested in joining me for all or any part of the trip please let me know.

Regards,
Ken

I have a Ranger Tug 27 and planning a cruise in the Pensacola, FL area Jan. & Feb. then trailering to the Tennessee River in March. Would like to have one crew person join me to share expenses.

If you or someone you know is interested in joining me for all or any part of the trip please let me know.

Regards,
Ken

Wifey B: Just to make sure I've got this. You want free crew and want them to pay? :confused:

Regards,

Ken
You will be lucky to find anyone to go just along for the ride.

Wow, what nerve

Good luck asking someone to share your work and expenses!

Don't be discouraged, people are always looking to be crew on trips.

It's the "unknown captain" thing that stops quite a few....so recommend reaching out in as many ways as possible when people show interest..

If no luck before you head out,, maybe contact a port captain near where you wind up and see if they know anyone interested. That way they can come meet you before packing a bag.

Thank you psneeld for your positive reply. I did not expect to get the number of negative responses that were submitted. In my 20+ years of sailing the Great Lakes I have seen similar posts like mine and the crew was happy to have the opportunity to go along for a great ride.

Wifey B: Just to make sure I've got this. You want free crew and want them to pay? :confused:

There are likely plenty of people who for whatever reason cannot have a boat who would like to pay for a cruise of this sort. Crew duties on such a vessel would be light, and the word "share" as in expenses could be highly negotiable as to percentage. Heck, I do own a boat and was intrigued by the idea, but my wife won't give me the necessary kitchen pass.

There are likely plenty of people who for whatever reason cannot have a boat who would like to pay for a cruise of this sort. Crew duties on such a vessel would be light, and the word "share" as in expenses could be highly negotiable as to percentage. Heck, I do own a boat and was intrigued by the idea, but my wife won't give me the necessary kitchen pass.

About to sell my boat...may start to consider these random posts for cruising partners.

Can pay for a lot of shared expenses and still come our way ahead.

Old time friends always want me along fishing on several levels....hardly any ever adk for more than a nice lunch brought.

OP - may want to elaborate on what expenses you expect to share. Sounds like you're looking for a casual crew person to assist and provide company along the way. Going "Dutch" for fuel/food/marina/local transportation would be great. I would think the owner (err....you) would be on the hook for maintenance and repairs.

Doesn't sound like a delivery or repositioning, but it were, the terse responses might be warranted.

Peter

Last edited:
When I have used crew to deliver boats in the past I paid all of the boat expenses, fuel, dockage and repairs, since they were my boats. We went dutch on food expenses since they would have eaten whether or not they were on the boat.

When I have used crew to deliver boats in the past I paid all of the boat expenses, fuel, dockage and repairs, since they were my boats. We went dutch on food expenses since they would have eaten whether or not they were on the boat.

I think delivery crew is cut/dried - the owner hires the captain and assumes liability for the captain and crew if something bad happens, even if crew/captain is negligent.

But where casual arrangements go south is when something breaks. Let's say the crew is on-watch and driving and wanders into a sandbar doing $5k in prop damage. Who foots the bill? Not just for repair, but all the ancillary costs of hotel rooms, rental cars, etc. that may not be covered by insurance.

It's a close call. But best agreed ahead of time. If Judge Judy episodes are a litmus test, I suspect that many owners would expect the at-helm crew are responsible.

Peter

Last edited:
I supplied plane tickets for the crew and when we got weathered in and had to leave the boat via rental cars, I paid for the cars.

As to running the boat aground, my insurance would take care of the boat repairs. As to the other costs, I asked them to help me deliver my boat. Am I going to leave them somewhere and say you have to pay to get yourself home? If you were to use paid crew, you would foot every expense anyway, including the pay for their time.

Last edited:
I supplied plane tickets for the crew and when we got weathered in and had to leave the boat via rental cars, I paid for the cars.

As to running the boat aground, my insurance would take care of the boat repairs. As to the other costs, I asked them to help me deliver my boat. Am I going to leave them somewhere and say you have to pay to get yourself home? If you were to use paid crew, you would foot every expense anyway, including the pay for their time.

When I was actively delivering, I could have charged people to crew for me. About 50% of my business was delivering Nordhavns and I met people mostly from TrawlerFest. The chance to spend 5+ days on a Nordhavn was golden.

But I insisted on a captain/crew arrangement. Some of my crew were multi-millionaires but I paid them $100-$125 per day to crew (ca 2000) with a list of resposibilties including washing the windows every morning, and a deep clean of the boat before delivering the boat to the owner. These folks were, by far, the best crew I had. Extremely motivated and eager to learn. Far cry from a guy who had more offshore miles than I did given he was half-way through his second circumnavigation. Nice guy, but the worst crew I ever landed despite his many miles (preferred to sleep through his watch - doesn't work when you're within 100 nms of land).

But I don't think this is the arrangement the OP seeks. Sounds like he's looking for someone to help defray costs, which is fine. Just need to be clear what costs are shared, which are not.

Peter

Last edited:
My reply was in jest.

When on my boat I pay all boat expenses. Your my guest. Most pay their own way except for boat food.

Some buy my drinks. I get even at the bar....

rgano and I are looking through the same lens. I am only offering an opportunity for someone to join me on a cruise that either is looking to buy a similar boat, does not have a boat or exploring what cruising is all about. Simply sharing the cost for fuel, food, marina dockage, etc. I think is a Win Win proposition.

Like most things, it depends. When on our boat, you are our guest. You pay for nothing. Our guests usually bring along something good to eat or drink and offer to treat at a restaurant now and then. There is no way you’ll be on the hook for any boat expenses including fuel and dockage.

If for some reason I needed crew to help me move the boat to somewhere else I want or need it to be, they would be paid and all expenses covered. Might be a friend who refuses to be paid. I’d insist on all food and travel expenses though.

If another couple agreed to vacation with us to mutually agreed destinations I could almost see splitting fuel and dockage but... no actually I can’t. Our boat, our expenses.

If it’s neither fish nor fowl and we agree to have someone tag along to see what all the boating fuss is about, I could see splitting food. However, boat expenses are still on me.

The subject scenario might be a win-win for someone interested and nothing wrong with that if someone finds it worthwhile. But, it sounds like more win for the owner who gets to incur half of fuel and dockage expenses to travel where they were going anyway.

rgano and I are looking through the same lens. I am only offering an opportunity for someone to join me on a cruise that either is looking to buy a similar boat, does not have a boat or exploring what cruising is all about. Simply sharing the cost for fuel, food, marina dockage, etc. I think is a Win Win proposition.

I agree. Sounds like a good opportunity for someone. You may want to try CruisersForum too. Although sail oriented, sailors/crew are more accustomed to hopping rides.

Good luck, and thanks for the kind offer.

Peter

Wifey B: Note a change in what he's asking for.

First post: "Would like to have one crew person join me to share expenses." :rolleyes:

That is what I termed free crew plus crew pays and what I and others reacted negatively to. :eek:

Then he said, "I have seen similar posts like mine and the crew was happy to have the opportunity to go along for a great ride." :ermm:

Then he said, "I am only offering an opportunity for someone to join me on a cruise" :)

Then Porgy expressed closer to my view: "If for some reason I needed crew to help me move the boat to somewhere else I want or need it to be, they would be paid and all expenses covered. Might be a friend who refuses to be paid. I’d insist on all food and travel expenses though. :)

If another couple agreed to vacation with us to mutually agreed destinations I could almost see splitting fuel and dockage but... no actually I can’t. Our boat, our expenses.

If it’s neither fish nor fowl and we agree to have someone tag along to see what all the boating fuss is about, I could see splitting food. However, boat expenses are still on me."

Language is important and perhaps he can clarify what he really means. "Crew implies doing work. That means pay to me, not free and definitely not paying their own way although I know sailors like on Cruisers Forum sometimes have differing views on that." That is far different from someone tagging along. Now a tag along guest would do no work, no operation of the boat and I would still not accept money from one, but if they insisted on occasion on paying for a meal when we ate out, then that would be ok or even if they went and bought some fresh produce or desserts or something. We don't allow guests to pay for anything but have had a couple on occasion insist on taking us all to a restaurant.

So, I ask the question. What exactly are you looking for? Crew or guests? Work or ride along? And keep in mind this is the power boat world not the sail boat world and they do differ on some things. :confused::confused:

Which is it?

There's paid crew, guests/passengers and what I think what the OP is looking for.

In my experience.... is lots of people somewhat in between...

Very common in the lower end fishing crowd on powerboats.

I get the language confusion but really not his intent...seen it a lot.

Last edited:
I am amazed at how my simple offer for someone to join me on a vacation cruise has created so much controversy. Maybe I was wrong in asking for a "Crew Person" instead of a "Guest", if so I apologize for the wrong choice of words. I will take mvweebles suggestion and also post on Cruisers Forum.

The Best to All

I am amazed at how my simple offer for someone to join me on a vacation cruise has created so much controversy. Maybe I was wrong in asking for a "Crew Person" instead of a "Guest", if so I apologize for the wrong choice of words. I will take mvweebles suggestion and also post on Cruisers Forum.

The Best to All

A guest may imply free trip...to some "crew" means paid....I knew what you were looking for and I bet others did too...

It was clear to me because you combined crew (implying chores) and share expenses (self explanitory). The only thing not clear is if you expect a perfect 50/50 split...especially on things like maintenance which could be covered when you discuss with an interested party.

Last edited:

The Best to All

Wifey B: You didn't ask for a guest on a vacation cruise. You asked for crew. Much different. Now that you are just seeking a guest it's much simpler and best of luck to you in finding one. We responded to what you asked. Now there might be takers knowing you don't expect them to be crew. Best of luck. And, yes, Cruisers Forum gets a lot of this. :)

Oh gosh, Ken :lol:

Anyway, aside from detailing your expectations on how the "splitzies" will roll, if you're comfortable, instead of waiting on PMs you might share a little about yourself. Couple, single? Would you enjoy a twenty year-old on the trip, or (making an assumption here) someone more of your own age? Will this be a cruise mostly on the water, or a lot of marina time with walking around and often hoteling it? Who gets the main berth and who gets the quarter berth? ;) Are you experienced and want companionship with a new friend, or are you a little unsure of the trip and are hoping for someone who can provide real help in whatever area you might need?

I only say this because I saw a similar offer not long ago that I was interested in. It would have saved a lot of email and telephone footsie with the guy (whom I'm sure is all-in-all a good egg, but...) if I had an initial clue that he was going to be on a whole different financial plane than I exist on, or planned a schedule that would not have been that fun for me.

Also, I might mention that several people commenting in this thread probably saw a thread a few months ago where it turns out the person was basically looking for...um...female companionship with a little cooking and cleaning thrown in? At least that's how I read it. I'm not sure he ever found anyone :D

I look forward to a future where I might personally jump on more of these.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, Ken :lol:

Anyway, aside from detailing your expectations on how the "splitzies" will roll, if you're comfortable, instead of waiting on PMs you might share a little about yourself. Couple, single? Would you enjoy a twenty year-old on the trip, or (making an assumption here) someone more of your own age? Will this be a cruise mostly on the water, or a lot of marina time with walking around and often hoteling it?

I only say this because I saw a similar post not long ago that I was interested in. It would have saved a lot of email and telephone footsie with (whom I'm sure was a great) guy after hearing that he was going to be on a whole different financial plane than I exist on, plus a schedule that would not have been that fun for me.

I look forward to a future where I might personally jump on more of these.

Wifey B: And the other aforementioned forum sometimes get males looking for females. :D I'm sure platonic, of course. :lol:

Wifey B: And the other aforementioned forum sometimes get males looking for females. :D I'm sure platonic, of course. :lol:

Funny, I just edited my post to include that recent example that came to mind. You know the thread of which I speak :popcorn:

Funny, I just edited my post to include that recent example that came to mind. You know the thread of which I speak :popcorn:

Wifey B: There are actually sites just for that, sailing dating sites. Cruisers Forum had a thread on them one time. I think lovesail.com is the most popular, then also boatingfriendsdate.com and fitness-singles.com apparently has a sailing section. I think it's great and far better than the dude claiming to look for "light housekeeping and other services" from a dudette. :rofl:

I dunno. Maybe generational. I viewed the post as sort of an Uber share or AirBnB couch surf thing. Restaurants often have community tables where you sit shoulder to shoulder with strangers. Heck, I remember doing this same thing in college to share a ride on a long weekend.

Like Kevin on his Bayliner, I can imagine being solo on some long legs in my future. I'd like casual crew (as in vetted by my wife) and while I wouldn't expect expenses to be shared, I think it natural to pitch in. Of course, personality fit would be paramount. When I was delivering, I had several crew whom I didn't know well. One guy I had never met joined last minute on trip from California to Florida. Good crew. Granted I paid all crew even if they were wealthy and didn't need the money, but still, I don't think any of them would balk at contributing.

I really think y'all are overthinking this and hung up on the shared expense thing. Of OP expects a Lazer straight accounting, that's one thing. But ifs looking for some company and reasonable contributions, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom