Sailor coming to the dark side.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptRob73

Hello folks,

I’m currently a liveaboard sailor looking to move to a trawler. My boat now is a CSY44 WT, which is a very heavy built blue water boat. I would like a mid 40ft trawler that’s also heavy built and sub 150k. Any suggestions on brands that are heavy built will be appreciated.

Thank you, CaptRob

I think you mean coming FROM the dark side....as an old girlfriend descibed my sailboat.... " like a coffin"....

42 Kadey Krogen would be a good candidate that you could probably find in that price range.

Describing where you intend to cruise it would be helpful. Many heavy built boats aren't passage makers or ocean crossers.

Ted

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. We will be offering our 1979 Cheoy Lee LRC (trawler style) for sale in the new year. NOT a blue water boat BUT quite stoutly built. Sub $150K. When she is presentable, I will post her here first.

Two Queen staterooms, quite sizable v-berth, dated electronics. VERY good and dependable mechanically. Cosmetically acceptable for a 43 year old vessel IMO. Many spares, linens, dishes, pots and pans, etc. New batteries to be installed.

LARGE (for this class of boat) engine room (aprox. 15'W x 8'L x 6'H) housing twin Lehman 120HP (aprox. 4500hrs), 15kw generator, Naiad stabilizers, washer and dryer.

800 gallons fuel, 500 gallons water, 40? gallon holding all lying amidships adjacent to and along the keel.

Hello folks,

I’m currently a liveaboard sailor looking to move to a trawler. My boat now is a CSY44 WT, which is a very heavy built blue water boat. I would like a mid 40ft trawler that’s also heavy built and sub 150k. Any suggestions on brands that are heavy built will be appreciated.

Thank you, CaptRob

Welcome to the dark side - we have cookies!

Was in the same position recently having sold our Outbound. If looking for a power BWB which isn’t a project boat think your budget isn’t realistic. Be interested what others say. Heavy and sound but coastal is possible but not a true BWB in decent condition. Even trashed Nordhavn 40s are selling for $350k in this crazy market.
Looked at a Willard on the Great Lakes but it wasn’t stabilized and needed work. Also a diesel duck (no fish and needed some updating). Both were double your budget. Finally bailed and got a SD boat.
Decide on your must haves then surf yacht world and the other sites. Rude awakening. Different world than sail where a 30 year old 28’ BCC remains a for real circumnavigator.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. We will be offering our 1979 Cheoy Lee LRC (trawler style) for sale in the new year. NOT a blue water boat BUT quite stoutly built. Sub $150K. When she is presentable, I will post her here first.

Two Queen staterooms, quite sizable v-berth, dated electronics. VERY good and dependable mechanically. Cosmetically acceptable for a 43 year old vessel IMO. Many spares, linens, dishes, pots and pans, etc. New batteries to be installed.

LARGE (for this class of boat) engine room (aprox. 15'W x 8'L x 6'H) housing twin Lehman 120HP (aprox. 4500hrs), 15kw generator, Naiad stabilizers, washer and dryer.

800 gallons fuel, 500 gallons water, 40? gallon holding all lying amidships adjacent to and along the keel.

Where will the boat be located when offered for sale?

42 Kadey Krogen would be a good candidate that you could probably find in that price range.

Describing where you intend to cruise it would be helpful. Many heavy built boats aren't passage makers or ocean crossers.

Ted

Cruising the east coast, Bahamas and maybe carribean. Not crossing oceans.

Greetings,

Mr. RT - Say it ain't so! How long have you had her? I know someone who might be very interested...

Greetings,
I'm more than happy to post and comment on OUR vessel but that doesn't help Mr. CR with HIS choices. You're welcome to ask any and all questions in a new thread. Back to suggestions for Mr. CR., please. Thanks

At sub $150K I recommend 48' Tollycraft. Take a look via Yacht World and other sales venues. Not an ocean crosser so to say... but one heck of a long range coastal cruiser - in all aspects.

Welcome to TF!!

One of the smaller Hatteras LRCs might fit the bill as well. Also like the Willard 40 suggestion if it's big enough for you - it'll be closer to your sailboat in efficiency.

I would look at a Jefferson 42. Lots of room, most with Cummins diesels. Good value and a lot more of them than the Jefferson 37 Sundeck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom