I feel so much better about EVERYTHING now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would have been even more impressed to see a complete engine overhaul too.

Would have been even more impressed to see a complete engine overhaul too.

The first thing I looked for was "what did he repower with?"

An engine repower or steel tanks seem irrelevant - my suspicion is that it has never been used - kept in a shed as a hobby- I couldn`t imagine using it - coming on board after a swim - scared to drip or sit on anything............operating theatre level clean up after cooking........let alone crawling out of the engine room with greasy hands.
NO THANKS

You've got a good engine, the rest of the equipment can be updated as necessary.
I still do not like exteriors teak.
Have fun.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1983-chb-34-motor-yacht-7281722/

And here I thought...

• That I was OCD
  • That I was crazy for investing so much in an old 34' MT
  • That I was WAAAY upside down on my fine vessel

Well surpise, surprise, surprise I only have a mild case of all these ills.[/QUOTE

Just bought a freshwater boat not far from this one. The fresh water boats age well, but the price on this one??? The only thing crazier may be the people who line up to buy it!

Nice job.
Kind of like a beautifully restored classic car.
A great hobby for a restoration guy and fun for shows, but tough to maintain if actually used regularly.

I don’t know what they put on the teak decks but its not going to last in the real world. It will be near impossible to maintain.

That does NOT look like a 40 year old boat!!! That's impressive !!

With only 800 hours on the Lehman it probably didn't need a repower. The electronics might need a little freshening up but that is a very fine looking vessel!

That does NOT look like a 40 year old boat!!! That's impressive !!

With only 800 hours on the Lehman it probably didn't need a repower. The electronics might need a little freshening up but that is a very fine looking vessel!

My Dere had over 9000 hours and still running strong. When the Lehman has 5000+ hours, start saving up for a rebuild in a couple 1000 more hours.

Amazing! Yeah, put my kids and my dogs on it for a week and it'll be worth $30,000 again.

My Dere had over 9000 hours and still running strong. When the Lehman has 5000+ hours, start saving up for a rebuild in a couple 1000 more hours.

That just isn’t the fact about Lehmans. They can easily run to the 10K to 15 K hours.

The 800 hour Lehman is certainly still good. But for that asking price and level of care put into the boat, I was expecting to see something a bit less agricultural transplanted in there.

That just isn’t the fact about Lehmans. They can easily run to the 10K to 15 K hours.

I was being conservative. Any naturally aspirated diesel can
run MANY hours with proper maintenance

Realistically, just about any engine that gets good maintenance and isn't pushed harder than the design is happy with will last a lot longer than most people make them last. Most people either just don't use it enough and never pile on that many hours, or they abuse it to an early death, or maintenance isn't up to par and an easily preventable failure trashes a perfectly good engine.

T was always impressed by people who restore old cars, then it dawned on me....I'm doing the same thing with my 35 year old boat!

I thought Angelina was in good condition. Crikey.

LOL Al, we all know, the boat could be perfect, tanks full of fuel, water tank full, sanitary tank empty, engine(s) purr like a happy kitten but, it is just not your boat until you make your desired changes.

Last edited:
T was always impressed by people who restore old cars, then it dawned on me....I'm doing the same thing with my 35 year old boat!

Me too. We are working on a 1976 MT36.
Looks like we're all in the same boat...Zing!!!!:lol::lol:

Only one picture of the engine? No wiring pictures or of the engine room? That being said, Id be afraid to be the first one who dropped something that broke through the finish.

Years ago I listed a boat that was similarly overpriced and never again. $225,000 boat that eventually sold for the "right" price of $150,000. THREE years later. And somehow it was all my fault according to the seller. My marketing was bad, not enough pictures, (66) and so on. The guy was a nightmare, so I know this broker is in for a long road ahead....

OldDan, conservative is one thing but suggesting that a Lehman is going to soon need a rebuild after 5,000 hours is more than misleading. Bob Smith was of the opinion that the start saving point is at least 15,000 hours.

OldDan, conservative is one thing but suggesting that a Lehman is going to soon need a rebuild after 5,000 hours is more than misleading. Bob Smith was of the opinion that the start saving point is at least 15,000 hours.

CatalinaJack, I yield to your experience.
My N46 had a Deere, ran for over 9,000 hours then the owner repowered with, I think, a Volvo.

Well, actually Bob told me that the watermen on the Chesapeake would bring their Lehmans in for a preventative rebuild at 20,000 hours.

That boat wouldn't be that difficult to maintain IMO but you'd need a boat house or at least common covered/shed moorage (no dogs and probably no kids) and a love for maintaining boats. I do.. and as the OP mentioned, it's a sickness...lol

Years ago I listed a boat that was similarly overpriced and never again. $225,000 boat that eventually sold for the "right" price of $150,000. THREE years later. And somehow it was all my fault according to the seller. My marketing was bad, not enough pictures, (66) and so on. The guy was a nightmare, so I know this broker is in for a long road ahead....

I suspect as nice as this boat is, it will go for around $150k unless the owner has a "I'll just keep it if I don't get my price" mentality. Pretty sweet boat but still...it's a CHB.

There's lots of over prices stuff out there, and this is certainly one of them. No matter how much you rebuild, it's still a 1983 CHB and worth only so much even if it were totally rebuilt, and this one is not.

Boats sell for what they are worth to the buyer.

Can't imagine anyone wanting to pay this much, but occasionally there's someone with too much money that has no clue what things are worth.

I'm seeing this in aircraft, also. Planes in the 60s that sold for $23K new have been going for $40 to $60 over the past few years and are now showing up at $190! Won't sell. I bought a 1973 plane for $55, sold it a few years later for $85 and is going for over $160 today... but occasionally you see one for $250, which is nuts.

We're seeing this in boating. Occasionally, just crazy prices. Sold my last boat for over $30k more than I paid, but paid a $30k premium for the next one.

This will change... always does.

And here I am restoring a 1979 and loving every minute of it. You sure learn to appreciate the results when your blood, sweat and tears go into it. :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom