View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #21
O C Diver
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
When considering options, it always helps to know what the options cost.

If you're giving to a charity organization, you need to know what the value of the boat is to write it off your taxes. This also assumes the two of you are in a high federal tax bracket. If the top bracket you pay in is 25%, you would only realize 25% of its value (and maybe less).

If I were going to replace the tanks, I would want to get an estimate. If you can remove and replace the tanks without pulling the engines, it might be worth doing to make it sellable. If it's cost prohibitive, it probably is to a buyer also.

Regarding the tanks, if you only replace one, everyone assumes the other is a ticking time bomb. Imo, sealing a leaking fuel tank is ok for your own use. If you have someone else do it for you, no guarantee of success and you will pay a fair amount....whether it works or not.

So, I would figure out the cost of the options and what you expect to get for it. If you're not going to keep it and can't do the work yourself, do nothing and list it here plus Craigslist or go the donation route.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote