New windlass for GB42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMont303

Hello all,

I am in the process of a complete restoration of a '70 GB42 classic. Our original Ideal windlass is shot, and we are looking for an economical replacement.

Wondering if any Grand Banks owners or similar models have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Welcome aboard and how about some photos of your baby and the work you are doing to it?

Another vote to rebuild or replace the IDEAL , there great .

2021 - 1970 = 51 years of service , not bad , and probably not going to happen with modern light weight stuff.

Last edited:
My 1972 GB42 woodie had a McMurry windlass which came to me with a bent shaft. Once that was fixed it ran for 29 more years with an occasional trip to the local alternator repair ship for the motor to be re-brushed and once for a rewind.

Glad you are here, and hope I can offer some friendly advice as you work your way through the rebuild. Send me a private message with your email if you would like to establish some form of direct comms.

Last edited:
There is a really nice freshly restored Plath model 9a for sale up here in BC for sale that you might be interested in. I recently replaced my old Windlass ( Ideal ) with a Lofrans Tigress..long story but I was forced to buy the new windlass. But I know how good the solid bronze windlasses can be. I like my Lofrans but would still go with the ideal. Here is the link to that windlass

https://comoxvalley.craigslist.org/bpo/d/central-island-anchor-windlass-and-chain/7401686973.html

Welcome aboard and how about some photos of your baby and the work you are doing to it?
Absolutely, Comodave. Thanks for your response.

Ours is "Hana Punahele", 42 Classic built in Hong Kong in '70. She's mahogany hull and teak fittings. Twin Lehman 120s. Not quite sure how to attach photos. Can you advise?

Thanks, Colin Montgomery

There is a really nice freshly restored Plath model 9a for sale up here in BC for sale that you might be interested in. I recently replaced my old Windlass ( Ideal ) with a Lofrans Tigress..long story but I was forced to buy the new windlass. But I know how good the solid bronze windlasses can be. I like my Lofrans but would still go with the ideal. Here is the link to that windlass

https://comoxvalley.craigslist.org/bpo/d/central-island-anchor-windlass-and-chain/7401686973.html
I'll take a look, Gordon. Thanks for your response.

- Colin

My 1972 GB42 woodie had a McMurry windlass which came to me with a bent shaft. Once that was fixed it ran for 29 more years with an occasional trip to the local alternator repair ship for the motor to be re-brushed and once for a rewind.

Glad you are here, and hope I can offer some friendly advice as you work your way through the rebuild. Send me a private message with your email if you would like to establish some form of direct comms.
Thanks for your kind response, Rgano. How do I send you a private message?

Thanks, again.

- Colin Montgomery

Also, what was her hull number? Ours is 42-165.

Thanks.

That windlass isn't ours Colin so you would have to contact them to ask what price they're willing to take. But the good part is that it's in Canadian dollars so a lot less expensive for you. That is a good price at $1450. And fyi Crofton is on Vancouver Island, British Columbia if you need to figure out shipping costs

I would go with having your windlass rebuilt. I was able to obtain all the parts through the US for replacement gears, Not cheap parts but worth the money. These windlasses are better built being all bronze then a lot of the new aluminum windlasses. Schaefer marine has bought out Ideal so you'll have to get parts through them.

And it looks like a good model, Giggitoni. Any idea about a ballpark price?

Thanks.

- Colin Montgomery

You should expect to find a new Tigres for about $2,500 to $2,900. Try Defender or some marine retailer.

"Hana Punahele" GB42 Classic. Hull number 165.

Attachments

• 20210112_143757_HDR.jpg
    20210112_143757_HDR.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 26
Ideal is on the upper end of the quality scale and there are not many windlass that would be of higher quality than what you have even with an unlimited budget, there is no windlass economically priced that will be able to come close to competing with your ideal, even if the rebuild cost more than a newer maxwell or loftrans you would probably be better served with having the ideal repaired and serviced. I personally own a lofrans Tigris and love it but would be happier if my boat came with an ideal.

Windlass

I will also recommend the Lofrans Tigres.

Put 1 on our 43 Albin and hasn't ever let us down including pulling up the anchor which happened to land in the middle of a truck tire.

Also, in a 6mph current on the Mississippi the windlass brought up the anchor out of the Mississippi mud.

Great windlass with both gypsy & capstan.

Hello all,

I am in the process of a complete restoration of a '70 GB42 classic. Our original Ideal windlass is shot, and we are looking for an economical replacement.

Wondering if any Grand Banks owners or similar models have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Hey, good luck in your search.
My Project Boat had the windlass removed before we acquired it.
I too have been searching for a replacement. They are hard to find. Not many listings in all the usual "for sale" internet sites like Craigslist, FB marketplace, Kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist). I'ts winter hibernation time in the great white north, so I will keep searching through the winter and hopefully I will find an economical (and good) used Windlass soon

My boat is similar to a GB 42. I installed a Tigress last July and is works very well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom