New Member from TN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TWinter

Vessel Name
William
Vessel Make
1981 32 ft Outer Reef Trawler
Just joined the forum. I look forward to learning and meeting like minded folks and contributing when I can. Having been a aviation enthusiast for many years I've shifted gears to live and learn something different. I'll be the first to admit I'm a total newbie on the water, but excited to learn. We hope to take some trips aboard our new vessel. I am the new caretaker of "William" located at Paris Landing Marina in Paris, TN. I believe the prior caretaker is still a active member. So far we are enjoying William and hope to be able to continue to keep her in the same great condition she is accustomed to.

Thanks for letting us come aboard the forum.

Tom

Last edited:
Welcome to Trawler Forum neighbor.

While we are several hundred miles up River on the Tennessee, welcome.

Tom, Welcome aboard! There are several of us "river rats" around on the forum. I'm enjoying not having to worry about hurricanes, salt water corrosion, tide tables and weird currents anymore. River cruising is great, especially here in TN where we can go year-round. Ben

Just joined the forum. I look forward to learning and meeting like minded folks and contributing when I can. Having been a aviation enthusiast for many years I've shifted gears to live and learn something different. I'll be the first to admit I'm a total newbie on the water, but excited to learn. We hope to take some trips aboard our new vessel. I am the new caretaker of "William" located at Paris Landing Marina in Paris, TN. I believe the prior caretaker is still a active member. So far we are enjoying William and hope to be able to continue to keep her in the same great condition she is accustomed to.

Tom
Welcome. I am just 50 miles south of you, at Cuba Landing. I get to Parin Landing a couple times a year.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.. I'm originally from the New England area (Portsmouth, NH and Kittery, Maine Seacoast) I've always admired the style of the Trawler style vessel. Fishing and Lobster boats were a common daily sight until moving to TN in 1996. I think I've certainly found the right style boat and forum.

Thanks again,
Tom

Wifey B: Love the Tennessee River. Hope to get back there next year. Have to go all the way up the east coast, through all the Great Lakes, down the Mississippi, to the Ohio, and a short run on the Cumberland to do so. :rofl:

Think William is a super cool boat too. :)

Wifey B: Love the Tennessee River. Hope to get back there next year. Have to go all the way up the east coast, through all the Great Lakes, down the Mississippi, to the Ohio, and a short run on the Cumberland to do so. :rofl:

Think William is a super cool boat too. :)

Haven't done the math, but that seems like the long way around your elbow to get there, unless you just like the trip that direction. I have been to Chicago area twice by boat, going at it from the Gulf Coast as well as the "counter-clockwise direction, and they are indeed quite different sorts of runs.

And welcome aboard to William's new caretaker! Come on DOWN here; the water's fine.

Haven't done the math, but that seems like the long way around your elbow to get there, unless you just like the trip that direction. I have been to Chicago area twice by boat, going at it from the Gulf Coast as well as the "counter-clockwise direction, and they are indeed quite different sorts of runs.

And welcome aboard to William's new caretaker! Come on DOWN here; the water's fine.

Wifey B: Sort of long way around but we also want to see the rest of the path. Next time we plan on leaving the boat on the TN River two or three years so we can cruise the Ohio all the way to the three river intersection, then cruise the others as well, so we can spend more time on the TN and Cumberland, so we can cruise the Northern Mississippi and the Missouri and the Arkansas and even make one trip all the way down the Mississippi. :D

We got most of the summer after our arrival in Tennessee to cruise the Tennessee and Cumberland last time but then got out stay shortened as Harvey and other hurricanes hit requiring our attention. :eek:

I think coastal cruisers tend to overlook all the great rivers of the country. Now for those without locks, hard to cruise, but those with open so much great cruising up. We only hit a little of the Columbia River when in the PNW and one day want to take it much, much, much further. People cruise the Chesapeake all the time but not all the way and then they totally ignore the Delaware River beyond the canal. Philadelphia and beyond by water is very nice. People also tend to ignore the Potomac. :)

if we were going to have an inland home in the US it would highly likely be on the TN River. With our initial boating limited to a lake in NC, the largest in NC, but still just one small body of water, then the TN River is a boating paradise by comparison. We went there with acquaintances one summer while still in NC and fell in love. Nice days on a Sea Ray Sundancer, crammed into the second "cabin" (as I use that term loosely) and we had a great time. We cruised from Chattanooga to Columbus MS and back. I think it was about the time we cruised through the "Grand Canyon of the East" on Lake Nickajack that we were mesmerized by the beauty and when we hit Lake Guntersville and realize both it and Chickamauga were much bigger than our home lake and we were just getting started. We didn't even get to Kentucky Lake that trip, so someone could have easily said "You ain't seen nothin' yet" to us. I'm still excited by the monstrous and beautiful and so relatively underdeveloped Kentucky Lake and then it having a nice opening into a whole other river. It's like Pickwick opening to the TN Tom and then the Gulf of Mexico. Omg, I'm getting excited just typing and in the office where getting too excited isn't a good idea. :eek:

Great ideas about your inland cruising. Now if I was a Pittsburgh local and had half a brain, I'd be establishing a boat haul of some sort to get folks across that little bit of land which separates the navigable upper reaches of the west and east flowing rivers there to allow easy access to inland boating and vice versa. Can you imagine the business I'd get!?

Great ideas about your inland cruising. Now if I was a Pittsburgh local and had half a brain, I'd be establishing a boat haul of some sort to get folks across that little bit of land which separates the navigable upper reaches of the west and east flowing rivers there to allow easy access to inland boating and vice versa. Can you imagine the business I'd get!?

Wifey B: No, people would think your prices were insane. :rolleyes:

Wifey B: No, people would think your prices were insane. :rolleyes:

What if I'm a nice guy billionaire who doesn't care to make a profit? :flowers:

Wifey B: Sort of long way around but we also want to see the rest of the path. Next time we plan on leaving the boat on the TN River two or three years so we can cruise the Ohio all the way to the three river intersection, then cruise the others as well, so we can spend more time on the TN and Cumberland, so we can cruise the Northern Mississippi and the Missouri and the Arkansas and even make one trip all the way down the Mississippi. :D

We got most of the summer after our arrival in Tennessee to cruise the Tennessee and Cumberland last time but then got out stay shortened as Harvey and other hurricanes hit requiring our attention. :eek:

I think coastal cruisers tend to overlook all the great rivers of the country. Now for those without locks, hard to cruise, but those with open so much great cruising up. We only hit a little of the Columbia River when in the PNW and one day want to take it much, much, much further. People cruise the Chesapeake all the time but not all the way and then they totally ignore the Delaware River beyond the canal. Philadelphia and beyond by water is very nice. People also tend to ignore the Potomac. :)

if we were going to have an inland home in the US it would highly likely be on the TN River. With our initial boating limited to a lake in NC, the largest in NC, but still just one small body of water, then the TN River is a boating paradise by comparison. We went there with acquaintances one summer while still in NC and fell in love. Nice days on a Sea Ray Sundancer, crammed into the second "cabin" (as I use that term loosely) and we had a great time. We cruised from Chattanooga to Columbus MS and back. I think it was about the time we cruised through the "Grand Canyon of the East" on Lake Nickajack that we were mesmerized by the beauty and when we hit Lake Guntersville and realize both it and Chickamauga were much bigger than our home lake and we were just getting started. We didn't even get to Kentucky Lake that trip, so someone could have easily said "You ain't seen nothin' yet" to us. I'm still excited by the monstrous and beautiful and so relatively underdeveloped Kentucky Lake and then it having a nice opening into a whole other river. It's like Pickwick opening to the TN Tom and then the Gulf of Mexico. Omg, I'm getting excited just typing and in the office where getting too excited isn't a good idea. :eek:

Shhh. I gaze into the upriver end of the Grand Canyon of the Tennessee every time I drive down Signal Mountain. We’re trying to keep the word from getting out. :rolleyes:

Tom
Welcome ... 50 miles upstream from you! :)

Welcome ... 50 miles upstream from you! :)

Wifey B: On a river where up is down and it's like being in Australia or something and I constantly had to remind myself whether I was going up or down. :lol:

Pickwick lake/Yellow Creek

Welcome, Great group in TF. we live in Nashville, but spend most of summers on the Tn river. Home base Aqua Marina on Yellow creek. Boy have we seen the loopers go by the last month.Next year we go too. Visit when you head this way.

Welcome, Great group in TF. we live in Nashville, but spend most of summers on the Tn river. Home base Aqua Marina on Yellow creek. Boy have we seen the loopers go by the last month.Next year we go too. Visit when you head this way.

We kept a boat at Aqua Yacht Harbor for a while. Looped there, then explored the TN river a bit and then the Cumberland.

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Trawler Forum where you will find a plethora of information from the brain trust here. There are some very knowledgeable contributors who share timely information. Don't be afraid to ask a question because we ALL were newbies at one time.

We are on (actually near) the Tennessee River just a few slips down from Miss Rita at Aqua Yacht Harbor. Drop by anytime!

Also.. what was your aviation interest? Professional or fun? We have a Beech Baron (BE58) that we use to visit grandkids and friends and the occasional $100 hamburger. Well... it "used" to be $100, but that changed with the recent administration.:banghead:

Come see us,

Rusty and Kris Bliss
M/V Kristine
DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS

Welcome! Another Tennessee River guy. Live just north of Chattanooga on the Tennessee. Head up this way sometime soon. Welcome to stop by any time.

Wifey B: We cruised from Chattanooga to Columbus MS and back. I think it was about the time we cruised through the "Grand Canyon of the East" on Lake Nickajack that we were mesmerized by the beauty and when we hit Lake Guntersville and realize both it and Chickamauga were much bigger than our home lake and we were just getting started. We didn't even get to Kentucky Lake that trip, so someone could have easily said "You ain't seen nothin' yet" to us. I'm still excited by the monstrous and beautiful and so relatively underdeveloped Kentucky Lake and then it having a nice opening into a whole other river. It's like Pickwick opening to the TN Tom and then the Gulf of Mexico. Omg, I'm getting excited just typing and in the office where getting too excited isn't a good idea. :eek:

We live on Lake Chickamauga, and your description of the trip up or down Nickajack is right on point. If you get that far, head north through Watts Barr, on to Ft Loudon, and head down to the foot of the Smokies on the Tellico. You will really enjoy it. Feel free to PM when you get close.

We live on Lake Chickamauga, and your description of the trip up or down Nickajack is right on point. If you get that far, head north through Watts Barr, on to Ft Loudon, and head down to the foot of the Smokies on the Tellico. You will really enjoy it. Feel free to PM when you get close.

Wifey B: Made it through Watts Bar, to Ft. Loudon, to Tellico in 2017 and loved it. We were even briefly tempted to look at homes on Chickamauga. Actually we did look as we passed by but didn't go into any. :)

Congrats from across the northern border. Welcome and enjoy your boat.

Welcome! Yet another TN River guy here.
We're a long way from you, in Knoxville. Have a place on Watts Bar also. Looking forward to some serious TN River cruising in the near future. (When we find the boat we're looking for....)

Welcome aboard. We are currently in New Mexico but have a second/retirement home in Counce, TN that is walking distance to Pickwick Lake and stumbling distance from Freddy T's. Also, do a bit of aviation playing around in our hot air balloon.

Retiring is July and plan on doing a bunch of cruising on the inland rivers in our Atlas Acadia 25, trailer trawler.

Perhaps we will get to say hello in person in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom