Glen-L Marine "Hercules" custom trawler/tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been looking at a Glen L 31 trawler, trying to find as much info as I can before we go back to see it again on Saturday.

The Jack Tar as Glen L calls it. Beam 10'-11". The Hercules was trailer-able without permits. That is what attracted me to it. I could park it in the driveway and no marina fees or maintenance from being in the water all the time. When I purchased it, I was downsizing from a 56' Chris Craft Roamer, steel hull. So costly. Previous boats, 42' trawler, 35' and 25' cruisers. It was nice not having the cost of marinas, for sure. The 31' Jack Tar would make a great Big Loop boat for a couple.
Good luck with it if you decide to buy it.
Bob

Thanks, I wasn't even thinking that you could be considered "trailerable" he did mention he had it moved over the road once. It does have a fly bridge and he had too take off that little windscreen.

Glen-L Hercules "Farside"

I don't know if you are still active here, but I am the original poster, Bob. The boat was named BOBBIN ALONG, not Bobbin Bob. Louie was the original builder and I was the second owner. Awesome little boat and amazed how far it has traveled since I sold it and it cruised up from Savannah to I think Maryland with the new owner. It has been back and forth and as far as the keys from what I can tell.

Yes , still active but not on often. Tried to contact you awhile back on your old blog that came up when I did a search. Yes, Pete Hall bought it and had it in Albany and trailered it down to South Carolina where he launched it and drove it down to the Keys in Marathon. He put it up for sale and I bought it and have been doing an extensive renovation. He also gave me all of Louis pictures of the construction and a few from you when you bought it.

Would be interested in hearing from you as your blog stated you had to do some repairs. I have run into many previous repairs on the boat and many new areas that have repaired.
If you feel like sharing some information with me you can reach me at:
ksipes@comcast.net

Thanks
Keith

Does anyone know the history of A Glen L 31' named Grace? Not the same one in the pictures here. It's currently in Waterford NY. Same owner for 20 years

This is just a wild shot....Looking to make a model of this lil trawler yacht have alway loved her lines....Is there anyone out ther who may have the lines drawing for her...either out of a magazine or actual print
May be contacted via email - mytele@shaw.ca
Thanks in advance
Billy

Sent you some info in an email.

Keith

Hi everyone, here is another one of the Glen-L Jolly Roger 33 owners. Just bought it last week and it will be here next week on the lawn next to our house. Over the years we owned a few boats. Here is the list: sailboat Bayfield 29, sailboat Goderich 37, center console Chris Craft Sea Hawk 19, long range trawler Diesel Duck 41. After not being afloat for some years and cannot leaving my fingers from the pie, we now got the Jolly Roger 33. It will take me a little while to bring her up to our standards and some personalizing of interior and technic. I will post a picture when she is here next week and I have figured out how to post a picture on this forum. Best regards, Benno

Here is an update on our Jolly Roger, it is not a 33 ft model, after having the Jolly Roger hauled by a commercial Boat Hauler from near Kitchener, Ont. to our house in Leamington, Ont. some 300 KM and parked there, we came to the conclusion and after measuring the Jolly Roger, it is really 30 ft. long. The previous owner did take the anchor platform and stern swim platform into his length measurement to get the 33 ft. In general measurements take not in account swim platform and bowsprits on boats, but some marinas do. The boat has a Perkins 4-154 diesel of 62 hp and that motor is very old. The original boatbuilder fitted it 2009 as a rebuild good deal engine. At this time right now I am in the process of removing that engine, it is a beast. This 5.5 ton boat is overpowered with 62 hp anyway. The plan is to fit a new 35 hp Beta into this Jolly Roger 30. Actually the Jolly Roger 30 is named "Albatross". Regards, Benno

Benno, congrats on your new boat. Sounds like a fun project. Maybe take photos and start a new thread on the repower. I am sure there would be a lot of interest in it.

I have not mastered yet to show pictures on this forum, but I will soon be able to do this. To keep you updated on our Glen-L Jolly Roger doings, perhaps you go to this link of Marlenes travel blog: Marlene and Benno's Odysseys on Land and Water
At this moment I am in the process of removing the older Perkins engine 4-154 Diesel. This is not an easy task to remove the +800 pound engine, get it up out of the hole on to the wheel house floor level, move it thru the salon on to the aft deck to be able to lift it off the boat. I had to get a gantry build, have long 4x4 post running thru the salon to slide the engine. Look at the picture at the above link. Regards, Benno

You are doing a great job in preparing the engine for removal, and thank you for the fulsome explanation. Is there a technical issue with the engine requiring its replacement?

Hi Rich, according to the previous owner the Perkins runs fine and has no issue. I like to update the otherwise fine boat to a newer and less horsepower Diesel. I will personalize the rest of the boat as well including a new galley etc. and so. Regards, Benno

It sounds like you will be able to realize a nice sum by selling a working engine.

Jolly Roger

I have not mastered yet to show pictures on this forum, but I will soon be able to do this. To keep you updated on our Glen-L Jolly Roger doings, perhaps you go to this link of Marlenes travel blog: Marlene and Benno's Odysseys on Land and Water
At this moment I am in the process of removing the older Perkins engine 4-154 Diesel. This is not an easy task to remove the +800 pound engine, get it up out of the hole on to the wheel house floor level, move it thru the salon on to the aft deck to be able to lift it off the boat. I had to get a gantry build, have long 4x4 post running thru the salon to slide the engine. Look at the picture at the above link. Regards, Benno

Good luck with repowering. My Coastal Cruiser has a Volvo Penta I/o . I’ll be interested in pictures of your build out. I’m still in the redesign phase of the cabin. Expect to start the remodel this winter.

Hi Vinz, we had a Volvo Penta 3cyl diesel in our sailboat, good motor but parts were costly. We got our motor out today and it is sitting on the aft deck now. Will have it lifted off on Saturday and then Marlene will update her blog with pictures. Regards, Benno

Hi everyone, we removed the Perkins 4-154 engine today from the boat and have pictures of this doing at Marlenes blog: Marlene and Benno's Odysseys on Land and Water
It was not an easy task but it worked without a hick up. Regards,Benno

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom