View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #13
Drummer79
Veteran Member

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Ha Ha Ha! All these boats have had the same problems! My steering chains were perpetually loose and I found the same problem was the cause: The wooden block holding the pulley had rotted. Actually the two bolts through the wooden block looked like something from the wreck of the Titanic. One had rusted through and the other would in another 10 minutes. All fixed now.

Which brings up the water tank removal. Yes the rudder shaft and steering gear have to come out to remove the water tank intact. It's about a morning's job to remove the rudder and steering gear. The water tanks must come out port side first then starboard side next as they are not mounted center line. (they just look it) While you have them out replace those two bolts holding the steering chain pulley.
I have a buddy who welds stainless, etc.. who can handle building a new tank. once i get the boat home, (if i can make it happen between house closing delays and this boat maybe getting gone first) replacing the tank won't be that big a deal.
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote